Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Disagreed. Bashing a company shouldn't get you higher dividends. You can pretty much claim anything with the right wording. Good business is having good competitive edge, ad bashing ain't one of them. Nor is getting bigger dividends for shareholders either...

Fair enough, you may be right. I have never in my life worked for a company that has to make a profit so could be naive. From the outside though, it certainly seems the way I portrayed in my first post.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
could not agree more. It is less a shot a blackberry and more a shot at people still doing things the archaic way if that makes sense. The lady with a business phone and personal phone....why not just have 1. Their commercials really are solid, and one of the only commercials I actually watch when it comes on tv.

I keep two phones, because our company doesn't let you do BYOG, and even if they did, and lots of companies do this, if you bring your own phone, they have remote access to it, and all the data on it, and may remotely wipe it at will, if the data is at all important.

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
The situation isn't that far fetched... my own company allowed people to choose between the S3 and IP5 or a BB for work. Many consolidated their previous set up of personal phone + BB into one phone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I use a work phone exclusively, work and personal phone (iPhone). I work for a small company and my bosses don't abuse it calling me day and night. But I can most certainly see why someone would choose to carry two phones.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I keep two phones, because our company doesn't let you do BYOG, and even if they did, and lots of companies do this, if you bring your own phone, they have remote access to it, and all the data on it, and may remotely wipe it at will, if the data is at all important.

I'm was mostly saying the way the commercial made it look. I know why people in real life have two phones, but the commercial does a great job as depicting it as an outed thing that people are doing b.c they are not comfortable changing.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I'm was mostly saying the way the commercial made it look. I know why people in real life have two phones, but the commercial does a great job as depicting it as an outed thing that people are doing b.c they are not comfortable changing.

there are policies in place that prevent people from changing. the commercial is not accurate. Sure a relaxed place of business where peeps wear jeans all day will let you mix your personal and work on the same device. But a big corporation with policies in place about it...will not.

my wifes work is actually a small non-profit and she will get in trouble if she has any personal info on her work iPhone. Thus the need for 2 iPhones. She's not outdated with her devices...she has 2 iPhone 5's!

Also, what a lot of people don't know. If you work at a place that is BYOD....and some type of lawsuit happens or a public records request is started...your phone can be subject to that. So now your personal information on your phone could come up in a lawsuit as well bc it's all on the same device.

Everyone wearing jeans and playing on their Note 2 doesn't really prove anything about it being a business device.

I just find it funny bc they act like everyone in the business world is sportin' a Note 2 when all i see are iPhones and iPads.

----------

exactly, he doesn't understand.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
there are policies in place that prevent people from changing. the commercial is not accurate. Sure a relaxed place of business where peeps wear jeans all day will let you mix your personal and work on the same device. But a big corporation with policies in place about it...will not.

my wifes work is actually a small non-profit and she will get in trouble if she has any personal info on her work iPhone. Thus the need for 2 iPhones. She's not outdated with her devices...she has 2 iPhone 5's!

Also, what a lot of people don't know. If you work at a place that is BYOD....and some type of lawsuit happens or a public records request is started...your phone can be subject to that. So now your personal information on your phone could come up in a lawsuit as well bc it's all on the same device.

Everyone wearing jeans and playing on their Note 2 doesn't really prove anything about it being a business device.

I just find it funny bc they act like everyone in the business world is sportin' a Note 2 when all i see are iPhones and iPads.

----------

again, you are just misinterpreting what I am saying. I clearly said I understand the need for two phones.....what I said is the commercial does a good job at making it look differently. If you do not understand what I mean, then forget it.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
again, you are just misinterpreting what I am saying. I clearly said I understand the need for two phones.....what I said is the commercial does a good job at making it look differently. If you do not understand what I mean, then forget it.

"It is less a shot a blackberry and more a shot at people still doing things the archaic way if that makes sense. The lady with a business phone and personal phone....why not just have 1."

why not just have 1? bc most people can't bc of policies at work lol

it appears that you don't understand......

sure we could all wear jeans and have one device...but that's not how the business world works.

powderblue17

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Considering RIM is going to be introducing a completely new platform in a couple of days this seems really off-base.

Are they not paying attention to what they're about to introduce because it looks really good? Maybe they should be comparing to that but they probably figure they don't have any advantage over the new platform and are worried about a comeback.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

----------

It also has a lot to do with preference. My old roommate worked for the gov on Aberdeen Proving Ground. Where he worked the only phone that passed their security test was the blackberry. He had an iPhone for his personal phone because he wasnt allowed to use the blackberry for personal use like you said and he didn't care for it. He now has an S3 for personal use.

Point is even if he was allowed to use the blackberry he'd still buy a personal phone he prefers to it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
"It is less a shot a blackberry and more a shot at people still doing things the archaic way if that makes sense. The lady with a business phone and personal phone....why not just have 1."

why not just have 1? bc most people can't bc of policies at work lol

it appears that you don't understand......

sure we could all wear jeans and have one device...but that's not how the business world works.

I am talking about the commercial....I am saying "the commercial makes it look like people doing things the archaic way"...holy cow. I am telling you what I meant by what I said...yet you are still confused.. I guess you know my thoughts better than me

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Considering RIM is going to be introducing a completely new platform in a couple of days this seems really off-base.

Are they not paying attention to what they're about to introduce because it looks really good? Maybe they should be comparing to that but they probably figure they don't have any advantage over the new platform and are worried about a comeback.

When people think of blackberry, they think of the phones with the qwerty keyboards so using them in this ad makes sense. I don't think Samsung would get the same message across if they used a device that hasn't officially been announced and the average consumer isn't aware of yet.

powderblue17.. Philip Rivers fan? :)

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I am talking about the commercial....I am saying "the commercial makes it look like people doing things the archaic way"...holy cow. I am telling you what I meant by what I said...yet you are still confused.. I guess you know my thoughts better than me

Are you saying that people who use separate home and work phones are doing thing the archaic way?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

i know and i bolded what you said. she's doing it the archaic way...why doesn't she just have 1 cell phone??

i'm not confused at all.

the commercial is making it appear that people wear jeans to work everyday, have their personal information on their work phone and play games all day and not work. that must be how your work prefers to work....not the case in the corporate world.

people don't have 2 separate devices just for fun

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Fair enough, you may be right. I have never in my life worked for a company that has to make a profit so could be naive. From the outside though, it certainly seems the way I portrayed in my first post.

Unfortunately I also agree with you and I work for a profit based company :rolleyes:....

I just happen to be a hopeless utopian :D:cool:;)

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Just saw the commercial during The Following.

I love these Samsung Galaxy commercials. Funny, Smart and Naughty like my favorite the Wife & Business Trip.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
BB has a fan base.

BB10 should do wonders for stopping the market share bleed, and maybe even perk up share a little until the press shifts their attention to the S4 in Q2 and iPhone X in Q3.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It's a good message, BlackBerries no longer have the monopoly on enterprise technology, both iOS and Android not only have the same features but are easier to manage. Managing a BES server is a nightmare for IT guys whereas implementing policies directly from Exchange is far easier.

That said, I do wonder how many people are comfortable using their personal phone as their work phone. I know a lot of people who like keeping them separate, especially since setting up your phone with your firm's Exchange means they can limit the functionality and remotely control your device. For those people I imagine keeping hold of a BB purely for work use and using another smartphone for personal use isn't a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.