Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
AlphaVictor87
macrumors 6502a
 
AlphaVictor87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saint Louis, MO
iPhone struggles to recognize single vs double click

(if this needs to be in the iPhone forum then please move it, thanks)

Ever since the iOS 6.0.1 update my 4s has really having problems differentiating between a single vs a double click. This happens on a daily basis but i can't exactly re-create it.

I know with how fast paced everyone is going sometimes that you can sometimes double click the home button when you mean to single click, and vice versa but i've been keeping track of when this happens and make sure i'm not rushing through anything.

Basically i get situations where i want to open the multi tasking bar while inside an app, but it thinks i single clicked and goes to the home screen. Or i'm in an app and wanted to close it and it instead acts like i double clicked and opens up the multi tasking tray.

My "favorite" is when i single click to get out of an app and it acts like i did two slow single clicks so i end up on the spotlight search page.

I just took a second and tested out some situations and one just happened where i very distinctly hit the home button twice (heard and felt two clicks) on the home page to open up multi task tray and instead it just acted like a single click and went to the spotlight search page.

I'm really hoping others have experienced this, otherwise i can see a lot of "user error" posts coming.

If not any suggestions? And yes i've re-started it... many times.
AlphaVictor87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:35 PM   #2
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaVictor87 View Post
(if this needs to be in the iPhone forum then please move it, thanks)

Ever since the iOS 6.0.1 update my 4s has really having problems differentiating between a single vs a double click. This happens on a daily basis but i can't exactly re-create it.

I know with how fast paced everyone is going sometimes that you can sometimes double click the home button when you mean to single click, and vice versa but i've been keeping track of when this happens and make sure i'm not rushing through anything.

Basically i get situations where i want to open the multi tasking bar while inside an app, but it thinks i single clicked and goes to the home screen. Or i'm in an app and wanted to close it and it instead acts like i double clicked and opens up the multi tasking tray.

My "favorite" is when i single click to get out of an app and it acts like i did two slow single clicks so i end up on the spotlight search page.

I just took a second and tested out some situations and one just happened where i very distinctly hit the home button twice (heard and felt two clicks) on the home page to open up multi task tray and instead it just acted like a single click and went to the spotlight search page.

I'm really hoping others have experienced this, otherwise i can see a lot of "user error" posts coming.

If not any suggestions? And yes i've re-started it... many times.
Sounds more like a hardware problem. Doubt it has anything to do with 6.0.1 but who knows! You could always try a restore as a last resort.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:38 PM   #3
C DM
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Although this might be more of a placebo effect type of thing, and YMMV, but you can try "recalibrating" your home button using the procedure described at http://snapguide.com/guides/calibrate-your-home-button/.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
AlphaVictor87
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
AlphaVictor87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Although this might be more of a placebo effect type of thing, and YMMV, but you can try "recalibrating" your home button using the procedure described at http://snapguide.com/guides/calibrate-your-home-button/.
Ha yah i remember doing this on my 3GS. And i agree, not sure if its a placebo effect or what. Curious why it does quit out of the app you are in if you use that combination of buttons.

I tried it just for the hell of it. Guess i'll see what happens.
AlphaVictor87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:14 PM   #5
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
This problem will affect iOS for as long as the home button is overloaded with so much that it lags.......single click, double click, triple click, long press, etc. It's a design flaw.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
C DM
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaVictor87 View Post
Ha yah i remember doing this on my 3GS. And i agree, not sure if its a placebo effect or what. Curious why it does quit out of the app you are in if you use that combination of buttons.

I tried it just for the hell of it. Guess i'll see what happens.
That's actually the method to force quit an application...it's just that some/most have observed that if you force quit a stock application (one that is included by Apple by default on the phone and can't be deleted) somehow it seems to make the home button (at least appear to be) somewhat more "snappier", for lack of a better word. ;-)
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double click Home button unlocks iphone? NitroZip iPhone 8 Dec 1, 2013 06:38 PM
Mouse double-clicks instead of single-click sometimes tzhu07 Mac Peripherals 2 Apr 9, 2013 01:12 PM
Double click bug cookiesnfooty OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Sep 9, 2012 04:30 PM
single and double taps on UITableView straber iPhone/iPad Programming 2 Jul 25, 2012 06:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC