Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I have been watching videos and reading up on jailbreaking my Apple TV ( i own a ATV2 and a ATV3 )

The more i read, The more i hear about XBMC. ( along with a millon other apps/options/etc...

I have no experience using XBMC nor do i know much about it. If i am correct, I need to jailbreak the ATV first, Then instal XBMC and then once installed i can install Amazon instant video with XBMC?

I am just a little confused as to how the process works and if its possible.

ALL i want to do is be able to watch movies with my Amazon prime account on my ATV. I would really hate to buy a Roku box or something of the sort just for the Amazon feature.

Could anyone give me detailed instructions or point me somewhere so that i can install Amazon instant video on the ATV?

I am honestly not interested in any of the other features/extras that are you can do with a jailbroken ATV, i just want to add Amazon and thats it. I have no use for all the other jailbreak options.

So with that said, What is the easiest/simplest way to add Amazon to my ATV 2 or 3?

Thanks

rlu929s

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
I would love to know how to accomplish this myself. The best way I can figure is to mirror from the iPad to the AppleTV.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
You can't "add" anything to a non-jailbroken AppleTV (and you can only jail break an AppleTV2). Amazon instant is currently not available on the AppleTV. You also can't airplay from an iOS device with Amazon Instant installed to the AppleTV either (well you can send the audio to the AppleTV, but really what good is that). About the only way to get Amazon instant to an AppleTV is to mirror an iOS device to the AppleTV, but that will leave you with black bars. Remember, Amazon and Apple are rivals so Amazon doesn't want to let Apple users have all the goodies. I'm surprised they let us have Amazon Instant on iOS devices at all!

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
You can't "add" anything to a non-jailbroken AppleTV (and you can only jail break an AppleTV2). Amazon instant is currently not available on the AppleTV. You also can't airplay from an iOS device with Amazon Instant installed to the AppleTV either (well you can send the audio to the AppleTV, but really what good is that). About the only way to get Amazon instant to an AppleTV is to mirror an iOS device to the AppleTV, but that will leave you with black bars. Remember, Amazon and Apple are rivals so Amazon doesn't want to let Apple users have all the goodies. I'm surprised they let us have Amazon Instant on iOS devices at all!

Definitely money motivated... The opportunity to sell Prime subscriptions (or the opportunity to keep current subscribers renewing their memberships) and to sell their movies/tv shows.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I have been watching videos and reading up on jailbreaking my Apple TV ( i own a ATV2 and a ATV3 )

The more i read, The more i hear about XBMC. ( along with a millon other apps/options/etc...

I have no experience using XBMC nor do i know much about it. If i am correct, I need to jailbreak the ATV first, Then instal XBMC and then once installed i can install Amazon instant video with XBMC?

I am just a little confused as to how the process works and if its possible.

ALL i want to do is be able to watch movies with my Amazon prime account on my ATV. I would really hate to buy a Roku box or something of the sort just for the Amazon feature.

Could anyone give me detailed instructions or point me somewhere so that i can install Amazon instant video on the ATV?

I am honestly not interested in any of the other features/extras that are you can do with a jailbroken ATV, i just want to add Amazon and thats it. I have no use for all the other jailbreak options.

So with that said, What is the easiest/simplest way to add Amazon to my ATV 2 or 3?

Thanks

I JB my Apple TV for Amazon Prime myself, and since then I have found a plethora of media sources.

It is really easy, just google season pass, then follow steps to JB the Apple TV, goto wiki XBMC install directions and do it exactly as it tells you using terminal, then google FUSION XBMC and that is the easiest way to get AMAZON on your ATV2.

Once you do have amazon on ATV2, you need to just goto add on settings and put name and password and voila works perfectly.

If you want to save that headache all together you could always just buy a samsung smart tv and download their amazon prime app which is 1080p 5.1 sound and absolutely gorgeous.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
You cannot install it on the ATV3.
You CAN install it on the ATV 2.

The first post of the below-linked thread will tell you how to jailbreak your Apple TV 2, install XBMC, and add the Amazon Instant Video plugin. This will enable you to watch Amazon prime instant video.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1305573/

(The post is geared toward enabling Hulu, but the process is identical for installing the Amazon plugin. The only difference is, in step 19, to install the Amazon plugin instead of the Hulu plugin. I have both Hulu and Amazon installed on two of my Apple TV 2's, and both work fine.)

To make it even easier, there is apparently a mac application called Nito Installer that uses a simple GUI to install NitoTV on your Apple TV from your mac, which will the allow you to install XBMC and bluecop plugins (including Amazon, Hulu, etc.) from the Apple TV GUI itself. This means you don't have to use the command line at all. I have not used this method myself, but I would think it would be the "easiest", as it reduces the process to:
1. Use SeasonPass GUI on your Mac to jailbreak your ATV2.
2. Use Nito Installer GUI on your Mac to install NitoTV (or, apparently, install XBMC directly without even installing NitoTV, although I'd recommend using NitoTV since that will allow you to easily upgrade/remove XBMC or any other apps you install on your ATV2.)
3. Install the bluecop Amazon plugin directly from inside XBMC on your Apple TV 2.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15473367/
http://www.jailbreakappletv.com/blo...y-to-install-xbmc-to-your-apple-tv-2-for-mac/

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
It is even easier now, just JB Apple TV 2, then download on your mac XBMCHUB and that will install almost all the repos and apps for your xbmc including Amazon. you have to click configure on amazon app and put in your information for it to work.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I might try this. But please tell me, does the Amazon plugin allow HD streaming or is it the ****** quality that gets sent to PCs?

Don't know for sure. (And I'm not home to test it at the moment).

As I recall I only tested it once with an episode of Cheers. It looked roughly DVD quality to me at the time. Definitely not HD, but then I doubt Amazon has Cheers in HD.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I can't run Amazon on XBMC right how because a DRM flag has been turned on by Amazon. I would get a Roku if you really need Amazon Prime.

livingaimlessly

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013

Why are you blaming Amazon for this? Amazon would want to put its products and services on the Apple TV. It cuts into iTunes business is the reason. That's why Apple hasn't supported it. Look how long it took to twist Apple into installing Netflix on the ATV!

It's Apple that doesn't want its users exposed to Amazon's content. NOT the other way around...

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Why are you blaming Amazon for this? Amazon would want to put its products and services on the Apple TV. It cuts into iTunes business is the reason. That's why Apple hasn't supported it. Look how long it took to twist Apple into installing Netflix on the ATV!

It's Apple that doesn't want its users exposed to Amazon's content. NOT the other way around...

What do you mean "how long it took apple to support Netflix"? When the Appletv 2 was announced they already had Netflix on it.... So argument invalidated since the First iOS AppleTv there has been Netflix.

Also holy thread revival batman!!!

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
If Amazon wanted to include AirPlay support and Apple was blocking them, Amazon could/would make a public stink about it. I'm pretty sure the blame is on Amazon for that. As for why there's no native Amazon app on the ATV itself, that I could see Apple dragging their feet on (if Amazon had any interest in it).

Any way you slice it, it *is* too bad. I'm a regular Amazon shopper and have Prime, so I'd like to take advantage of the free video content, but I'd prefer not to buy a Roku (and have yet *another* device/input on my TV that I have to switch to) just to use it. I don't think there's any other channels on the Roku that are really calling out to me, but I may decide to pick up one just to deal with this issue (and see what other Roku channels might interest me). I do have one Blu-ray player with Amazon, but the UI sucks and it would be less cumbersome moving a Roku from the living room to the bedroom and back then it would be to move the Blu-ray player.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004

Hmm

Amazon doesn't have Airplay or HDMI/video out because the contracts they chose with the content owners.

It's the restrictions Amazon choose in order to pay lower rates for streaming media.

On the other side we have Netflix. Amazon wants to undercut Netflix and does this by limiting their Amazon Instant Video app,

It's business, why would Amazon be the hero for limiting video on iOS? Because they want to save money?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.