Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1
orange42
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Getting Notes from 4S to 3GS

I have an upgrade so I want to sell my 4S and go back to my cracked 3GS which I just restored as new and added some important apps to it to get me through the month. I restored it as new instead of backup from 4S (which I actually tried too and it didn't work) since it's slow to begin with and don't want any extra clutter and apps I don't really use on it, especially since it's only 16gb.

When I first got the 4S I set it up as a new phone and somehow managed to get all my notes dating back to 2009 onto it but I don't remember how. Now I am having trouble getting my 4S notes (all of them from 2009 still) to my 3GS. Am I drawing a blank as to why I can't do this? Notes are one of the top apps I use and I really need all of them I have on there. There was no problem getting my contacts from iCloud onto the 3GS.

What do I need to do?

(I just added notes to my iCloud as well, but it seems that's only working for recent notes.)
orange42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Do you have an email account set up? By default, notes are synced there as well. Check your gmail or yahoo.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3
orange42
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Do you have an email account set up? By default, notes are synced there as well. Check your gmail or yahoo.
I have my Gmail account (Exchange) as my main one and that doesn't have the notes option, and my Yahoo one has notes sync off. If I turn that on what will happen?
orange42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Do you have iCloud sync enabled? If so, did you enable notes? If not, just do that. It does force you to get a @me email address, but it will sync your notes across all your devices. I really like, cause I jot something on my iPhone, and it's available on my iPad and my Mac too.
Fernandez21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:20 AM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
Do you have iCloud sync enabled? If so, did you enable notes? If not, just do that. It does force you to get a @me email address, but it will sync your notes across all your devices. I really like, cause I jot something on my iPhone, and it's available on my iPad and my Mac too.
I have always used my normal email address on the cloud...
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:23 AM   #6
SR71
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
Do you have iCloud sync enabled? If so, did you enable notes? If not, just do that. It does force you to get a @me email address, but it will sync your notes across all your devices. I really like, cause I jot something on my iPhone, and it's available on my iPad and my Mac too.
This is what you need to do, OP. I've been doing this with my iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro and having my Notes stay in sync with each other is awesome. iCloud FTW <3.
__________________
-------------------------------
-Mid-2013 13" MacBook Air
-16 GB Verizon iPhone 5

-------------------------------
SR71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:52 AM   #7
orange42
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
Do you have iCloud sync enabled? If so, did you enable notes? If not, just do that. It does force you to get a @me email address, but it will sync your notes across all your devices. I really like, cause I jot something on my iPhone, and it's available on my iPad and my Mac too.
I have iCloud enabled as of a week or two ago and made the @me email, but it's only been working for my recent notes that I've made since starting to use the cloud. I have about 300 notes since 2009 that I need to have on all my devices so how can I get these older ones to I guess go to iCloud?
orange42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
are you using windows? if you have outlook, i think you can check sync notes with outlook and they will all be copied there, though it has been a while since i've done that.
__________________
USF Alumni and tech addict:
Current: 11" Macbook Air; 64GB iPad Air LTE; 32GB iPhone 5S; HTC One M8; Apple TV
Past year: iPhone 5, HTC One, LG OG Pro, Note 3, Moto X, Lg G2, Nexus 5
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
orange42
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
are you using windows? if you have outlook, i think you can check sync notes with outlook and they will all be copied there, though it has been a while since i've done that.
I have a Macbook running Mountain Lion. I'm not positive and I don't use it but I might have Outlook on there with my Office package. I don't get how I set up my 4S as a new phone and was able to get my notes and contacts but can't do it with my 3GS (this was before iCloud too).
orange42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:19 AM   #10
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange42 View Post
I have a Macbook running Mountain Lion. I'm not positive and I don't use it but I might have Outlook on there with my Office package. I don't get how I set up my 4S as a new phone and was able to get my notes and contacts but can't do it with my 3GS (this was before iCloud too).
have you tried doing a spotlight search for one of your notes on the mac? it could be they were transferred over somewhere and you just dont know.
__________________
USF Alumni and tech addict:
Current: 11" Macbook Air; 64GB iPad Air LTE; 32GB iPhone 5S; HTC One M8; Apple TV
Past year: iPhone 5, HTC One, LG OG Pro, Note 3, Moto X, Lg G2, Nexus 5
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:42 AM   #11
orange42
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
have you tried doing a spotlight search for one of your notes on the mac? it could be they were transferred over somewhere and you just dont know.
The only notes on the Mac Note app are the ones from iCloud. I need the ones from 2009-present into iCloud so I can use my 3GS and sell my 4S.
orange42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:07 AM   #12
xnickitynickx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
it might take a little bit, but i think if you edit something on the older documents it will save to icloud. i might be wrong of course, but its worth a shot.
__________________
13" MacBook Air (2.0 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 Flash); iPad (3rd Gen); iPhone 4S; AppleTV; too many iPods to list...
xnickitynickx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Go into your notes app on the iPhone and click the back arrow at the top and see if they have been syncing with your email provider.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:15 PM   #14
orange42
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnickitynickx View Post
it might take a little bit, but i think if you edit something on the older documents it will save to icloud. i might be wrong of course, but its worth a shot.
I have about 300 notes and would not like to do that because that would require me adding a date and time to the note, copy and pasting them into a new note (because editing the original doesn't send it to iCloud), then going back down to the bottom and make sure I delete the right now. Part of me wanting these notes so bad is because they have specific dates and times to them that I'd like to hold onto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
Go into your notes app on the iPhone and click the back arrow at the top and see if they have been syncing with your email provider.
They are no longer doing that. Just On My iPhone and iCloud. I think I used to have them sync with my Yahoo email but stopped that because it wasn't my primary email account, my Gmail one was. And I can't sync them with my Exchange Gmail account.
orange42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange42 View Post
I have about 300 notes and would not like to do that because that would require me adding a date and time to the note, copy and pasting them into a new note (because editing the original doesn't send it to iCloud), then going back down to the bottom and make sure I delete the right now. Part of me wanting these notes so bad is because they have specific dates and times to them that I'd like to hold onto.



They are no longer doing that. Just On My iPhone and iCloud. I think I used to have them sync with my Yahoo email but stopped that because it wasn't my primary email account, my Gmail one was. And I can't sync them with my Exchange Gmail account.
I'm talking about the ones still on your iPhone 4S. If you can find out where they were coming from, you could sync to that. So say they were on your yahoo account, you can set up your yahoo account again and set it to only sync notes and set iCloud as the primary so all new notes go there but still have access to the ones on yahoo.
__________________
USF Alumni and tech addict:
Current: 11" Macbook Air; 64GB iPad Air LTE; 32GB iPhone 5S; HTC One M8; Apple TV
Past year: iPhone 5, HTC One, LG OG Pro, Note 3, Moto X, Lg G2, Nexus 5
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:06 PM   #16
orange42
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
I'm talking about the ones still on your iPhone 4S. If you can find out where they were coming from, you could sync to that. So say they were on your yahoo account, you can set up your yahoo account again and set it to only sync notes and set iCloud as the primary so all new notes go there but still have access to the ones on yahoo.
I tried that I think, by turning Yahoo notes on but they were all just saved to my iPhone other than the recent ones, which are on iCloud, if that's what you're saying? If my only option is gonna be to redo them all than I better start soon.
orange42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:28 AM   #17
orange42
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Would it be possible to take my 4S and 3GS to an Apple store and have them just transfer all the notes to the 3GS somehow?
orange42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:11 PM   #18
Irish Rose
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange42 View Post
Would it be possible to take my 4S and 3GS to an Apple store and have them just transfer all the notes to the 3GS somehow?
I don't believe you can. If you sync via iCloud you can transfer your notes over wirelessly in a matter of seconds.
Irish Rose is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
3gs, notes, sync, transfer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New notes are created under Gmail notes and not under iCloud notes, how to fix ? rak007 iOS 7 3 Mar 23, 2014 08:59 AM
Is it possible to prevent the Notes app from deleting the notes when backed up? prplchkj iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Feb 15, 2014 12:13 AM
Is there a truly 'free' way of syncing tasks and notes and notes between colleagues?? Macbar Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Dec 10, 2012 03:00 AM
Odd problem, notes.app adding notes randomly TimTheEnchanter iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Nov 29, 2012 02:47 PM
Synch iPad Notes to Mountain Lion Notes lglenn1816 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Jul 28, 2012 02:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC