Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
iAi
Banned

Gizmodo: iPad Mini's Screen is Much Better Than iPad2 Because It's Pixels Are Smaller

http://updates.gizmodo.com/post/3485...but-its-pixels

Quote:
The iPad mini is where things get interesting. Its smaller size necessitates a few sacrifices, and the Retina Display (at this point) simply cannot be made to fit the new small chassis, so to speak. But lo! The difference between the 4th Gen and the mini is not that huge when examined under the microscope. In fact, the pixels of the Retina Display are only 2/3 the size of the iPad mini. In the older iterations, the pixels of the 4th Gen are the size of the older versions, or .50. Here, they’re a full 16% (.16, since the 4th Gen’s pixels are 1/3 or .66 of the size of the mini) larger in comparison. This means the difference between the two, is less noticeable. In fact, to the naked eye, it’s negligible. Why is this? Since it’s a smaller screen, the pixels are packed much more densely.

... And the Apple is doing it right, as always, after all, continues ... I told you so
iAi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:42 PM   #2
urkel
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAi View Post
... And the Apple is doing it right, as always, after all, continues ... I told you so
Who are you and what did you tell us that you are bragging about?

Anyway, I find the screen acceptable but also noticeably poor for certain tasks. Its weird because I'm coming from an iPad 2 where I had no issues with text, but on the Mini then smaller text found all around the UI or most websites aren't great so hopefully some UI tweaks and additional default settings that cater to a 7" screen can be made in future OS updates.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
iAi
Banned

iAi

iBrag nothing.

iKid.

uAllRight, gadgets are serious business?

----------

Seriously though, the non-stop OA drama or complains about the lack of retina in Mini must stop. To Retina or nothing obsessed fans, it's either you don't buy if you don't like it or check it out first closely in stores before you buy it.
iAi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
apierrec
Banned

Quote:
Its smaller size necessitates a few sacrifices, and the Retina Display (at this point) simply cannot be made to fit the new small chassis, so to speak. But lo! The difference between the 4th Gen and the mini is not that huge when examined under the microscope. In fact, the pixels of the Retina Display are only 2/3 the size of the iPad mini
Oh, that's why, it is really nice, pleasant to my eyes.
apierrec is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:26 PM   #5
justinf77
macrumors member

I am very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the screen on my mini. Especially with all the complaints on this forum. The ONLY issue I see if that very small text looks a little fuzzy. As soon as I zoom in a little, text becomes quite sharp. I even notice this same effect with the MacRumors logo on the too left of this page. I wonder if this is an issue that could be addressed somehow with a software update?

I sold my iPad 3 to get the mini because I wanted something smaller and lighter. So far I'm very happy with my decision.
justinf77 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:28 PM   #6
NMF
macrumors 6502a

This is kind of an obvious thread. The iPad 2 had a resolution of 1024x768 on a 9.7" screen. Obviously for that resolution to fit on a 7.9" screen, the pixels will have to be smaller. A second grader can figure that out.

It's still the same pixel density as the iPhone 3GS, which isn't great. However, I'll be swapping my iPad 3 for a mini as soon as I get the chance. The weight is just to die for.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
iAi
Banned

Some posters here are too old to whine / post here but did not know that.
iAi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:40 PM   #8
MF878
macrumors regular

It's the same pixel density as pre-4 iPhones, I knew what to expect. I personally wouldn't be able to stand it, but I know some people aren't so finicky so good for them.
Apple TV (3rd gen)
MF878 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:22 AM   #9
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Obvious thread is obvious
fraggot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad