Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mg6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I'm looking into purchasing an ipad but do not know if it's worth purchasing the newest model. I'm perfectly ok with not having the newest model but I also don't want to purchase something that will be just plain outdated in two years.
My use will be very basic. Netflix, Skype, music, email, basic apps. The difference in speed isnt worth it to me to pay more but is the screen that much better on the new one? And are there programs that will be outdated?

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
If your finances allow for it, I would say go for the 4gen. The retina screen makes a big difference, in my opinion. Also, since you're not someone who will always want the latest and greatest, you can consider it a long term investment, in which case it would make sense to get the 4gen, as it will be supported with iOS updates for much longer than the iPad2.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If price isn't a concern, I'd go with the 4th gen as well.

You can also think about the Mini for $329 and it would save you money on the iPad 2. More portable, lighter weighter, smaller size and it is zippy!

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
I would say 2 if the price isn't a huge diff. Basic apps will be supported and work even I you can't install the latest iOS. I have a 2 and am waiting for the 5 to come out to upgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.