Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:39 AM   #1
ajhard
macrumors member

Wi-Fi Tethering iPad...

Hi - I have an iPad Mini LTE and want to share the Cellular connection with my iPhone (the other way round to normal). My carrier says tethering is fine and included in my plan (EE UK) but the menu isn't enabled on the iPad. EE say this is Apple's fault, Apple say it's down to EE. Is there any way to get it working before the two of them sort it out - I assume it needs a new carrier profile.

I read somewhere that you can manually create a profile with the tethering apn built in but I can't get that to work...?

Thanks!
ajhard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Nevermind...misread the OP. Why do you want to use your iPad's cellular connection for your phone, BTW?
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:00 AM   #3
sulliweb
macrumors regular

Have you tried the Reset Network Settings fix? That's what AT&T had me do when I had a similar issue. It was something to do with the carrier settings on my phone, and a reset forced it to recheck with AT&T for the updated settings.

I'm not 100%, but if you haven't tried that, I'd start there. Beyond that, I'd say it is a carrier issue. They have to have everything set on their end, and make sure they know you're wanting to tether your phone to your Mini. They may have misunderstood and saw that tethering was included for your phone, not your Mini.

As you said, you're doing it backwards from normal. My guess is that the person you talked to at phone company got it backwards.

Just a thought.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:32 AM   #4
ajhard
macrumors member

Thanks both...

I have tried resetting network settings a few times, I think the carrier settings are not yet set up for tethering although the operator (EE) say that it is allowed and included in the plan. I was hoping there was a way I could activate it manually so the correct menus appear.

The reason I want to tether that way round is because I have an LTE plan in the iPad and my regular 3G phone contract has very slow data speeds where I work...

Thanks
ajhard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Hope you get it sorted. Expect to get a few raised eyebrows when you call, though, since most of the time when I'd be using data on a mobile device, if I had my iPad with me I'd rather use that than my phone, but regardless, it should work. Hope EE gets it figured out for you.

Last edited by Jman13; Jan 3, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:21 AM   #6
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
Expect to get a few raised eyebrows when you call ...
Personally, I wouldn't even mention it (it'll just confuse things...), just tell them your hotspot isn't enabled on your cell model iPad.

This is almost certainly a carrier issue, the device supports a hotspot, it just has to be enabled/supported by youy carrier.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad