Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knidsrok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Am I a crazy person, or is there no way to search the safari extensions gallery?

Over at extensions.apple.com, there's the normal Apple site-search field, but it doesn't list Safari extensions. I feel like I must be missing something obvious...

iphonsteve4ajob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
Am I a crazy person, or is there no way to search the safari extensions gallery?

Over at extensions.apple.com, there's the normal Apple site-search field, but it doesn't list Safari extensions. I feel like I must be missing something obvious...

You're not crazy I was thinking the exact same thing last night. :confused:

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
You are not crazy. I haven't been able to search it either. Not a problem when there were only a small number of extensions to browse. As that number grows the need for a search function becomes a necessity.

expendableboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Kind of a microcosm of the entire Apple.com site

God help you if you want to do a specific search, like for widgets... you have to browse. But first you have to figure out what category Apple has put the thing your searching for in.

You can't (that I see) do a search just for widgets.

What happened to the usability team in Cupertino?

Cyberspy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
And over a year later...

... still no search.

Another example of Apple's famous usability.

Cyberspy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Thought there was a solution but...

... Apple won't let THAT work!

If the site was indexed by Google, you could search the site using something like

site:extensions.apple.com firebug

But that would be far too easy for Fanbois to use.

The only page that gets returned if you do this is the home page.

Another usability fail from Apple :(

kgtenacious

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
but it's not a fail, as far as Apple is concerned. At this point, with no search options still, it's obvious that Apple doesn't want a search function for Safari extensions.

The question is why?

Cyberspy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
How is this not a fail? Just because it's deliberate on Apple's part, does not mean it is a good idea. Just another example of Apple's desire for control with no apparent rational, and certainly no benefit to their customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.