Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:47 AM   #1
NYRangers11
macrumors member

Gmail setup issues on new iPad

Got a new iPad (IOS 6.1) and i am trying to setup Gmail on it using the following instructions:

http://support.google.com/a/users/bi...&answer=138740

But it wont connect. I used these instructions to set it up on my iPhone (IOS 5) and its works fine. Any ideas what it could be?
NYRangers11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Stewart21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers11 View Post
Got a new iPad (IOS 6.1) and i am trying to setup Gmail on it using the following instructions:

http://support.google.com/a/users/bi...&answer=138740

But it wont connect. I used these instructions to set it up on my iPhone (IOS 5) and its works fine. Any ideas what it could be?
Those instructions are for Enterprise users, is that what you are? I just dowloaded the Google Mail app to my ipad and signed in with username and password, no messing about with server names etc.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:37 PM   #3
NYRangers11
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart21 View Post
Those instructions are for Enterprise users, is that what you are? I just dowloaded the Google Mail app to my ipad and signed in with username and password, no messing about with server names etc.
I see what you mean where it says Gov't, schools, etc setup. But no, I was always under the impression that this type of setup is ideal to receive your emails faster. It works fine on my iPhone.

Maybe it got something to do with the exchange bug in 6.1 (MR Front-page today)

Also I don't use the Gmail app. All my mail (from hotmail and Gmail) go to the standard Mail app that came with the device.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:52 PM   #4
jona2d
macrumors member

Quote:
I see what you mean where it says Gov't, schools, etc setup. But no, I was always under the impression that this type of setup is ideal to receive your emails faster. It works fine on my iPhone.

Maybe it got something to do with the exchange bug in 6.1 (MR Front-page today)

Also I don't use the Gmail app. All my mail (from hotmail and Gmail) go to the standard Mail app that came with the device.
You are correct, you can use this to get your gmail added to your Mail app without having to download the Gmail app.

BUT, i don't know what's wrong. I followed the same steps 3 days ago when I got a brand new ipad updated to iOS 6.1, and it works fine for me using the same steps.
jona2d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
wombat94
macrumors member

Google has decided to disallow new device/account activations of the Google Sync (Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync) method of connecting to free Gmail or Google Apps Mail accounts.

They had said that the deadline for iOS and Windows Phone devices was going to be January 30th, and then backed off of that deadline for Windows Phone users until July, I believe, because they do not yet have a native GMail App released for Windows Phone.

The January 30th deadline came and went, and Google was still activating new device/account combinations to the ActiveSync servers, so there was speculation that they had quietly let the overall deadline slip, but it appears that just yesterday they started enforcing the new policy and new device/account activations can no longer be made for free gmail/google apps mail accounts.

Note, that if you already had a given device using ActiveSync to connect to a given gmail account, it is expected that the free connection will remain for the life of that device.

In order to access GMail now from iOS devices, you have to either set up an SMTP based connection to GMail in the iOS native app, or download and use the GMail app from google.

Lots of details are in the thread over in the iOS 6 forum.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1534449&page=6
wombat94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
larock
macrumors member

I just restored a phone to 6.1 and used the above directions to add my gmail account. I had no problems. I have 2-Step Verification on my account so I did have to generate an application-specific password to complete the setup.
larock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:41 PM   #7
NYRangers11
macrumors member

This totally blows. Although I did read in the other post that the Gmail App seems pretty good, I still prefer all my stuff in the same place.

Wondering how others are still able to access it even with a new account or restore.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:59 PM   #8
wombat94
macrumors member

Quote:

Wondering how others are still able to access it even with a new account or restore.
Based on Google's statements since they announced this change back in December, and on the limited experience since the switch appears to be flipped yesterday, it does look like pre-existing Device/Account relationships that had already been activated with ActiveSync will be able to be re-activated for the life of the device (or email account).

But new devices on existing gmail accounts and/or existing devices on new gmail accounts will not be allowed to connect via ActiveSync.

I haven't seen any reports yet of a successful new device and/or new account being able to have a first-time activation of ActiveSync today.
wombat94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:24 PM   #9
jenzjen
macrumors 68000

Thread over here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1534449) where it looks like regardless of the underlying account, no new devices can be provisioned the "old" exchange gmail way. The switch was flipped in the last day.

Last edited by jenzjen; Feb 14, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
jenzjen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:06 PM   #10
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:

Maybe it got something to do with the exchange bug in 6.1 (MR Front-page today).
Nope. Google cut exchange access for free accounts back in January. It's imap and carddav for your contacts.

They are currently allowing devices that already had the old exchange way set up to keep using it but eventually that will likely be cut also
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad