Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
After I got married, I realized I hated how I look. Someone suggested I should cut gluten and start doing a high protein, low carb diet. I started it two months ago, and I'll never go back. Good diet and exercise and now down 5% body fat!

Any one else tried gluten free?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Nope.

I have no trouble digesting gluten.

Weight loss is a matter of energy in...energy out.

But if cutting out gluten helped you...great!:D

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
I was when my gastroenterologist suspected celiac disease, but once ruled out a few months later I began eating normally again. It's a difficult thing to do and not normally a decision I have heard made for weight loss reasons. Many easier ways to lose weight in my experience and a lot of people on a gluten free diet end up gaining weight because it is common for substituted ingredients to carry more carbs and sugars than the wheat would have contained.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not me, I pretty eat a fair amount of carbs. Its protein that I don't eat much of. I'm not a meat eater so I get my protein from other things like peanut butter.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Yes, tried it a few times. Pretty tasteless stuff on the whole in general. My experience was that the stuff that tastes like food, is generally as bad for you [calorie wise] as normal food.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Many easier ways to lose weight in my experience and a lot of people on a gluten free diet end up gaining weight because it is common for substituted ingredients to carry more carbs and sugars than the wheat would have contained.

Agreed. I should definitely clarify. I'm on a primal gluten free diet, so I eat very few carbs and no gluten. That's how i've lost weight and put on muscle.

You are 100% right about the whole gluten-free fat thing. The truth of the matter is a muffin is unhealthy whether or not it's gluten free. It just so happens a lot of healthy foods don't have gluten to start with.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Agreed. I should definitely clarify. I'm on a primal gluten free diet, so I eat very few carbs and no gluten. That's how i've lost weight and put on muscle.

You are 100% right about the whole gluten-free fat thing. The truth of the matter is a muffin is unhealthy whether or not it's gluten free. It just so happens a lot of healthy foods don't have gluten to start with.

Illinois varsity....Fighting Illini??? I grew up 45 min from Champaign, just curious.

I always found it easiest to stick to food from home while GF and I had a few restaurants where I could select from very few items. I found many people were trying to find "does it taste just like xxx product" items in GF form instead of just accepting that GF is different and you have to find foods you like. Some things come close, but most don't. It was tough, but certainly do-able.

Great to hear you've had such good success with GF and low carbs. Happy weight loss!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
After I got married, I realized I hated how I look. Someone suggested I should cut gluten and start doing a high protein, low carb diet. I started it two months ago, and I'll never go back. Good diet and exercise and now down 5% body fat!

Any one else tried gluten free?

I could devour cheeseburgers, pizza, french fries and wash it down with Mountain Dew and still lose weight.

There are no clean or dirty foods when it comes to weight loss. There's only calories in and calories out.

Caloric deficit = lose weight
Caloric surplus = gain weight

Exactly what you eat is largely irrelevant.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I am gluten free, but I'm also vegan, so I'm not low-carb.

I don't believe being vegan is necessarily healthful. In fact, I am proof you can be vegan and unhealthy. I became vegetarian when I was 2 or 3 years old; it was very young. It was for moral reasons then and still is now to some degree, but I honestly couldn't bring myself to eat meat if I wanted to. It's a mental thing. I am disgusted by it. I say that I am vegan because I've always been disgusted by eggs, which left milk, but I was having such a small amount of milk in my diet anyway and it started to gross me out more and more, that I cut it out, too. I'm not sure if this veganism is a phase that will return to vegetarianism or not. I've been grossed out by animal foods my whole life—lots of years of fighting with my parents over meat, eggs, and milk. I remember in 2nd grade, a kid brought cookies into school for his birthday, and I asked his mom if they had eggs, and I said I couldn't eat them. And the kid came up to me and said, "Don't worry you can't taste the eggs." Lol. I wouldn't even give into sweets I loved because of eggs, yet I had no allergy to them. I have severe OCD, and my parents think that's related to my disgust of animal products. I don't feel obsessed about it, though, just disgusted.

Anyhow, most of my calories come from carbs. I truly believe in the primal/paleo type diets. I just can't do it. I've read the science. I understand it. I believe it would be healthier for me (I'm overweight with high blood sugar and pre-diabetes).

I try to eat healthy, but when your calories are coming from plants, except for nuts, they're going to mostly be carbs.

As far as being gluten-free, it has helped me. Back in the days when the doctors in the US weren't familiar with celiac, I was tested because I had symptoms, and I was positive. I went gluten free for a year or so. I noticed some differences, but not a lot. I later got better testing that said I did not have celiac. However, I seem to feel better when I don't have gluten, much less acid reflux and seem to not have the pains I would occasionally get before. But I see no weight-loss effects from it. It's a subtle difference, but it does seem healthier. I think I also have a bit less bloating when I'm gluten free. Plus my sister is confirmed to have it, so it's likely I do to some degree.

Most of my weight problem is probably from 1) inactivity and 2) I take Seroquel at night which makes me into a ravenous monster. I'm slowly getting off of it. It was better than Zyprexa which made me gain 50 lbs in a couple of months. Seroquel also changes the way you metabolize things and raises your blood sugar.

Anyhow, good job on your GF/primal diet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.