Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:53 PM   #1
pmbooks
macrumors regular

Will Intel Macs be vulnerable?

Is it just the Windoze OS that's the target of the majority of virus attacks, or will the Intel inside make Macs more succeptible?
pmbooks is offline   0
Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:14 PM   #2
belvdr
macrumors 68040

The OS and applications are what cause the vulnerabilities. The architecture has nothing to do with it.
belvdr is offline   1
Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:19 PM   #3
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Some people claim that the x86 processor family is more susceptible to buffer overflow exploits than the PPC family is. I don't understand all the details myself, but the basic idea is that in many cases the core issue of security vulnerabilities is that under certain situations, data that is supposed to be "information," but not "code," in that it is put in a place where executable code is not supposed to reside (i.e. inside a graphic file, or whatever), is allowed to act as code. The buffer overrun issue appears to be an area where a number of these exploit possibilities exist.

You can see more in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...urity+overflow
Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:22 PM   #4
belvdr
macrumors 68040

Yeah, but if I run Darwin on x86 or PPC, it doesn't matter. The OS is handling the memory allocation and such.
belvdr is offline   0
Old Dec 29, 2005, 03:48 PM   #5
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Any evidence supporting this claim with Linux on Intel? Perhaps there is a fact sheet posted on Microsoft's website.

Fictional site: www.microsoft.com/security=intelsfault.asp
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2005, 02:39 AM   #6
Mikael
macrumors regular

The NX bit in AMD K8 CPUs and Execute Disable bit in Intel CPUs are there to prevent buffer overflow exploits.

http://www.intel.com/business/bss/in...rity/xdbit.htm
Mikael is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:44 AM   #7
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael
The NX bit in AMD K8 CPUs and Execute Disable bit in Intel CPUs are there to prevent buffer overflow exploits.

http://www.intel.com/business/bss/in...rity/xdbit.htm
Thank you for the link!

So it says it's on the Pentium 4 line, and I'm assuming it's on the Pentium M as well? Is it on current Celerons?

Interesting that it is not supported by the latest Win2k. I guess that actually is one of the first relevant reasons to upgrade to XP!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:33 PM   #8
wasimyaqoob
macrumors 6502a

I read an article that said that Intel chips are more likely to attract hackers, because in order for the chips to work properly, Mac have to recode the OS therefore causing a loop hole which hackers can use - Only something I read but if its true, who knows?
wasimyaqoob is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers