Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 14, 2013, 10:49 PM   #151
thleeal
macrumors regular

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
When is apple bringing iMessage and FaceTime to android?!
I want this so bad.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia820 View Post
That's what whatsapp is for. Whatsapp goes across all platforms. Even low cost nokia phones have whatsapp.
My ipad doesn't.... Yet, would be awes,one if it did.
thleeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:58 PM   #152
dazlicous
macrumors 6502

This would be pretty handy if its ipad compatible
dazlicous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 11:12 PM   #153
j4zb4
Banned

Was discussing something similar many many years back with a friend... About how BBM is losing its appeal and I said they should stop making devices and become a service provider for Chat and email for iOS and Android... People would have definitely paid for their services then...

I see BB has taken my advice but atleast 4 years too late.. lol...
j4zb4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 04:56 AM   #154
dirtymagician
macrumors newbie

Whilst i agree with others that this maybe too little too late from RIM i certainly think its a good idea and will give Blackberry a presense on IOS it didnt have previously, any advertisement is better than none at all and if the app works then i see no reason it shouldn't find its way onto android as well.

I'm more concerned about a) how good the app is (looks, functionality, ease of use) and b) how reliable it is. They need it to be spot on the moment it hits the app store otherwise it will get slated, get 1-2 star ratings and the chance will be gone (no excuses that its a free app either!).

Whilst there is no doubt that IOS/Android are at the front from a personal device point of view BB are still very much favoured when it comes to corporate and the less popular they become the lower the prices go and so companys save money and stick with them, they may not do apps and such but for a "no distraction" business phone i don't think there is better. Equally a lot of kids seem to have them so the idea they can still use BBM for free to their ios/androided mates will certainly help too.
dirtymagician is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:01 AM   #155
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
All I do is message and e-mail, been using BlackBerry's since 2007, went from 8830 > 9700 > 9780 and now I'm still using a 9900.

I have yet to speak to anyone that has given me a proper answer as to why I'm a sucker for using old technology and why using an iPhone or Android device is better other saying it's cool and you could do so much with it and oh yeah, it's cool.
Exactly, for some people BlackBerries are perfect for their needs. If people ask me what phone they should get for basic messaging I will still to this day recommend a basic Curve. You can pick them up for £99 brand new and they are still excellent social networking and messaging devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
The +43% is precisely why the shorts are lining up. The problem is, it's not scaring the longs at ALL, because Blackberry stock dropped too far in the first place. +43% and the company shares are still valued beneath the price it would fetch in a liquidation! Blackberry shares are going to go through a short squeeze of epic proportions.

Owning their stock has kept me watching their product line closely, and I've been impressed. I've tried the Z10 out, and while I'm not trading my iPhone 5 for it just yet (a few apps could change that), I am watching their future products closely along with the Samsung Galaxy. This messenger thing makes the transition that much more tempting.
Couldn't agree more
Old May 15, 2013, 05:05 AM   #156
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
I doubt Apple would port software to another platform unless it's tied heavily with hardware, or their revenue stream. Like iTunes.
Apple software is great on Apple hardware, but it sucks on everything else.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:40 AM   #157
Ballis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post
It's worked out pretty well for Google, their profits and Android Marketshare were up YoY.
Yea, its working out well, but they arent all that invested in hardware in the first place. Mototrola probably have an even smaller marketshare than RIM.
Ballis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:12 AM   #158
RobNYC
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy69 View Post
For me Message does everything I need, if I had a friend who used BBM (I don't) I would just send them plain text messages
This. Unless BBM is integrated into iOS's messages app and works in the backgroung no point in using it. It's just yet another message app.
RobNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:22 AM   #159
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

BBM isn't much of a reason to get a Blackberry anyway, just like I wouldn't buy an iPhone for iMessage lol. By making it cross-platform the company at least is going to increase Blackberry's mindshare. For all we know it could take off and become a popular and well-liked app that gets people looking at Blackberry phones (probably not going to happen but anything's possible).
Old May 15, 2013, 09:36 AM   #160
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Tech View Post
Surprised that came through... considering that it's near impossible to tell whether a message has been delivered properly or not when using iMessage since it's so garbage when it doesn't work properly
90% of my texting is via iMessage. Unlike SMS, I do know when a message has been delivered -- and when it's been read. I can also tell if I don't get the "Delivered" status on a text, so I can follow up another way if it's a critical message.

I'm guessing you don't actually use iMessage (if you even use an iPhone).

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:44 AM   #161
Neo-Tech
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
90% of my texting is via iMessage. Unlike SMS, I do know when a message has been delivered -- and when it's been read. I can also tell if I don't get the "Delivered" status on a text, so I can follow up another way if it's a critical message.

You didn't get the point. iMessage says messages are delivered when they haven't sometimes. Simple as that. And I'm not the only one experiencing these issues.

Guessing I don't use something is a pointless argument, I wouldn't be speaking otherwise. I still use it despite its issues which I put up with on a regular basis. iMessage is a great idea, but has some flaws which I hope Apple will rectify in the next iOS update. We all know that Apple's forte isn't in their web services.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:36 AM   #162
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:

I don't think he meant that it happens all the time. It's like users who've used BlackBerry's before complaining about downtime and saying it happens regularly when in fact it doesn't. You'd be lying if you didn't think iMessage (and Apple's cloud services) still has a long way to go. It works, but there's a lot of improvements and refining to do on the backend.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:40 AM   #163
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
I don't think he meant that it happens all the time. It's like users who've used BlackBerry's before complaining about downtime and saying it happens regularly when in fact it doesn't. You'd be lying if you didn't think iMessage (and Apple's cloud services) still has a long way to go. It works, but there's a lot of improvements and refining to do on the backend.
No, I didn't say iMessage was perfect. But I've never had an iMessage status say "Read" when it wasn't. SMS, in contrast, is a black hole.

John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 11:21 AM   #164
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
I personally have not switched because of those two apps. I need to easily communicate with family members who have only an Ipad or an Ipod Touch as their Apple device. Simplest way to do that is by those two apps.

It if weren't for that, I would have an HTC One right now.
Voxer. Voice, text, and pictures. iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches, and my HTC One . But not on BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Source?
While I am not the person that you are questioning, there have been stories posted all over the news and web, ad nauseam, to include MacRumors. Believe it, or don't. A simple Bing search is all it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Honestly, I've seen iPad's and tablets used more for entertainment purposes (and some businesses use them for light work). Look at what the top app's tend to be - games, games, an occasional media app, oh, and games. As great as tablet sales have been, most people still use laptops and desktop systems for work. Tablets are a great extension of these systems, but unless they become more commonplace in the corporate market, etc. they'll continue to be niche. I couldn't imagine typing out dissertations or work on a tablet, and if they make them large enough it may as well be a desktop or laptop system.

In many respects, I can understand why he would make such comments.
Most, but it is becoming less and less. I know of several writers that write on the iPad exclusively. I just picked up a MS BT keyboard at Office Depot for $12.99, on clearance, and it works wonderfully...
Old May 15, 2013, 11:45 AM   #165
Brennenlb
macrumors member

What Would You Use?

Considering that there are a lot more messages sent on blackberry than iMessage, What would you use. There are more people you can contact with blackberry. I would probably stick with iMessage considering i have an iphone, iPad, ipod touch, and Mac. What about you?
Email: BrennenBliss@BrennenBliss.com
Brennenlb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:05 PM   #166
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
The question is, when is Apple making Facetime an open standard as they said im its release
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
When FaceTime became the hit that it is... they quickly swept that promise under the rug and never mentioned it again.
For something to become am industry standard it requires ratification by a standards body. These sorts of applications are normally done under NDA's and require support from the industry. It's possible an application was made by apple for an open standard but it never came into fruition.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:16 PM   #167
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Tech View Post
You didn't get the point. iMessage says messages are delivered when they haven't sometimes. Simple as that. And I'm not the only one experiencing these issues.

Guessing I don't use something is a pointless argument, I wouldn't be speaking otherwise. I still use it despite its issues which I put up with on a regular basis. iMessage is a great idea, but has some flaws which I hope Apple will rectify in the next iOS update. We all know that Apple's forte isn't in their web services.
I've never seen where an iMessage says it's delivered or read when it hasn't been. I wasn't aware that was even a problem for people.

BTW, I questioned whether you use and iPhone and it says "iPhone 5 16GB (White)" right in your signature, so that was pretty much a colossal reading comprehension failure on my part.

John.B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 02:12 PM   #168
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy69 View Post
For me Message does everything I need, if I had a friend who used BBM (I don't) I would just send them plain text messages
This could be a whole separate thread.

If I had a friend who used BBM (I don't) I would just:

(you fill in the blank)

1) Shun them
2) Set a bag of dog poop on fire on their front porch
3) Egg their house

LOL.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:01 PM   #169
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I've never seen where an iMessage says it's delivered or read when it hasn't been. I wasn't aware that was even a problem for people.
Had it happen to me which I found surprising. The next day I was asked why I didn't reply to a conversation and I did even provided the recipient the screen shot. She sent her a screen shot of her conversation and what do you know, it said delivered but her screenshot didn't even show the message. This was when Apple had a all those iCloud related problems that week but still, I'd rather have no receipt telling me there is a problem rather than a receipt telling me it was sent when it wasn't.
iLog.Genius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 04:20 PM   #170
toaster64
Banned

And these are they guys who claim that both Apple and Google have stopped innovating and that they are going to take the smartphone market with the new BlackBerries. BBM, what a joke.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
For something to become am industry standard it requires ratification by a standards body. These sorts of applications are normally done under NDA's and require support from the industry. It's possible an application was made by apple for an open standard but it never came into fruition.
Is this also why they didn't make it work in Lion or Snow Leopard? Sorry, Apple is just pushing me to use AIM because it's the best thing out there that actually works with everything. AIM from AOL! What the heck!?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
Not happening. Since they have fallen so far behind Android, there is no way they are going to give up apps that keep customers tied to the ecosystem.
People are tied to the Apple ecosystem because of their borderline-crappy messaging service? I think you have it wrong. Maybe it's because they make phones that work well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
The question is, when is Apple making Facetime an open standard as they said im its release
Thank you! I tried installing Messages on my Mac running Snow Leopard. That blew up in my face. Remember, don't replace the security framework in Snow Leopard with the Lion version...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillie View Post
While I am not the person that you are questioning, there have been stories posted all over the news and web, ad nauseam, to include MacRumors. Believe it, or don't. A simple Bing search is all it takes...
Oh haaiiil no.
toaster64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 06:44 PM   #171
almac04
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to almac04
BBM across all devices?

Im not too sure this is a good biz move for blackberry. The reason "I" say that is due to the fact that BBM is one of the unique features of BB that make the device what it is and its usability. Once released, why would I go buy a blackberry when all I have to do download the app for my android or iphone? Its great that it does broaden the use of the service to those w/o BB's but there is no incentive buy a BB.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by medi.freak View Post
ok- to everyone who thinks it is a bad idea for Blackberry to do this:

think again.

Before:

"No, I'll rather get the iphone, so I can communicate with my friends who have iPhones"

Now:

"Cool, blackberry let's me communicate with a service that I love with all my friends who have iPhones"

in that statement you have just proved the whole point... by offering the feature to other devices, I am no longer playing with the idea that I may one day abandon my iphone/android to go to BB for one of its uniquely defining features. It seems as though this move works more so for the consumer than the company. Not here to argue, just making a statement.
almac04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 02:02 PM   #172
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by almac04 View Post
Im not too sure this is a good biz move for blackberry. The reason "I" say that is due to the fact that BBM is one of the unique features of BB that make the device what it is and its usability. Once released, why would I go buy a blackberry when all I have to do download the app for my android or iphone? Its great that it does broaden the use of the service to those w/o BB's but there is no incentive buy a BB.
I think that was the case one or two years ago but I think today, BBM isn't as big of a feature anymore where people want to get a BlackBerry phone because of it and I think BlackBerry sees this. People who want a Q10 are getting it because of the keyboard. Period. I don't think having BBM exclusively plays a bit part. Now if you're considering a Z10, you're now entering iPhone and Android territory. I find it hard to believe that you're getting a Z10 just because of BBM. Personally, I think if you're getting a Z10, you want it because of what it does or what it offers - you like the OS.

Now I'm not oblivious to the fact that there are some people who do only care for BBM and they will make the switch, but I think those are only a few and BlackBerry is willing to gamble on that. To BlackBerry, I think with both the Z10 and Q10 out, people who wanted to leave have already done so leaving BlackBerry to make future plans.
iLog.Genius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:23 PM   #173
xcodeaddict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
Not impossible, just improbable.

LOL.
So, because riots were planned using BBM, it is, oddly, seen as "the" tool to use to do so? There's no logic to that whatsoever.
xcodeaddict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 12:34 PM   #174
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
Not impossible, just improbable.

LOL.
You realise WhatsApp was used to plan the riots too, right?
Old May 19, 2013, 09:25 AM   #175
Mr Bigs
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRetired View Post
TL;DR. I remember when I used BBM that RIM's servers would go down about once a week. If I install it on my iP4S, will it still go through RIM's servers? No thank you.
This is probably the biggest lie I've read on here yet, used it for years !!!!!!
Mr Bigs is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion