Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:11 PM   #26
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight8907 View Post
If the OS added new or additional processes that run in the background, that is not my fault. If you mean programs that I have open, well, when Outlook and Chrome are usually all I ever have open, it's not hard to see I'm using it in exactly the same way before & after.
So decide what default processes you don't want and disable or eliminate them. The fact is your battery drain will not be significantly different if you are, indeed, running the exact same tasks.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
Performance Tips For Mac OS X
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:15 PM   #27
jknight8907
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
So decide what default processes you don't want and disable or eliminate them. The fact is your battery drain will not be significantly different if you are, indeed, running the exact same tasks.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
Performance Tips For Mac OS X
SystemUIServer is the only suspicious task running, bouncing between 4% and 55% CPU usage. Everything else is stable and very low CPU usage.
jknight8907 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:17 PM   #28
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight8907 View Post
SystemUIServer is the only suspicious task running, bouncing between 4% and 55% CPU usage. Everything else is stable and very low CPU usage.
And you're looking at All Processes, not My Processes, right? If so, that sounds like it may be your culprit.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:28 PM   #29
jknight8907
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And you're looking at All Processes, not My Processes, right? If so, that sounds like it may be your culprit.
Correct. I did some quick research on that task and found some people link it to the status bar buttons, specifically the Time Machine shortcut. I turned off the time machine shortcut and SystemUIServer stays below 7% now. Looks like 'Google Chrome Renderer' is another big one when looking at webpages with lots of photos, and may turn out to be the truly big issue over SystemUIServer.

Last edited by jknight8907; Dec 31, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
jknight8907 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:39 PM   #30
Maniraja
macrumors newbie

Quote:
How exactly did you verify that you're running the exact same tasks?
For me it was three months from the very minute I uploaded 10.8 (and 10.8.1.and 10.8.2). The things I tried included deleting printer drivers, install from the app store, removing vodafone drivers, pram and that other thing resets, and much more, everything I could find I tried. I live up in the mountains in Southern Europe away from Broadband so it wasn't until I found myself back in the UK in December that I tried the one option left, a clean install from a USB stick drive. Everything back to normal immediately. The day I installed 10.8 I didn't install anything else as it was during my rare visit to the library. Straight away the battery was rubbish and straight away after an install from the USB stick drive three months later I got a decent computer back.
Maniraja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:28 PM   #31
JonLa
macrumors 6502

My Air is a 2010 C2D with 4gb of ram - the battery life isn't great and at times it seems to fly down when using it on battery. I've tried using the steps in this thread to diagnose what is causing the drain, if there is one, but no joy. I suspect a clean install is my next route, but I need to work out how to restore the settings of certain apps, like itunes, and wipe others...
JonLa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air