Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
SR-71
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Macbook Air and hdmi problem

Hi guys!

I'm a happy new owner of a Macbook Air except for one thing. When I connect my Air to my TV via HDMI the colors on the TV screen are so washed out. I don't know if I should return this and get a new or wait for update that could fix this problem. Ideas?

This is the quality when I watch on my Air screen. Everything just fine


I had to take this picture with iPhone 4 because in a screenshot it seems normal. So this is the picture in TV.


I'm not satisfied with this because I paid more than 1500 from my machine and I'm planning to buy external monitor in the future so it would be nice if this worked. There is also discussion in Apple forum and it's now 17 pages long. https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0. Anybody else having issue?

Last edited by SR-71; Oct 7, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
SR-71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
SR-71
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bump. Anybody? Do you have ideas that could help or have same kinds of problems? I tried my Air again with my friends computer monitor and the result was same. Washed out colors and black looks like grey. I also tried to change color settings in the monitor and it didn't look good.

Last edited by SR-71; Oct 7, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
SR-71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Luigi3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Something's wrong with resolution.
Luigi3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
SR-71
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Well I doubt that and there are19 pages of this problem in apple forum. I think either hardware or software problem.
SR-71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Luigi3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Airs don't have hdmi output. How do you connect air to TV? Via TB to HDMI or something?
Luigi3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:17 PM   #6
tiwizard
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Well I doubt that and there are19 pages of this problem in apple forum. I think either hardware or software problem.
It's a problem with the calibration of the TV screen-- not with the Mac. You can recalibrate the screen or try changing the mode (if your TV has "Game" mode, "Movie" mode, etc).
tiwizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:20 PM   #7
SR-71
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi3 View Post
Airs don't have hdmi output. How do you connect air to TV? Via TB to HDMI or something?
Of course I need some adapter. http://www.sandberg.it/product/Adapt...splayPort-HDMI

Did you check the apple forum link?
SR-71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Luigi3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Of course I need some adapter. http://www.sandberg.it/product/Adapt...splayPort-HDMI

Did you check the apple forum link?
Yup, forum told about problems with colors, but you have problem with resolution, because fonts are not sharp. For me, because photo is kinda small.

BTW, IDK if this is main problem, but your adapter is not from Apple. It SHOULD work fine, but this can be issue.
Luigi3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:28 PM   #9
SR-71
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi3 View Post
Yup, forum told about problems with colors, but you have problem with resolution, because fonts are not sharp. For me, because photo is kinda small.

BTW, IDK if this is main problem, but your adapter is not from Apple. It SHOULD work fine, but this can be issue.
The photo is just an example where I compare iTunes on my mac screen and on the tv. You see that there are white and blue background in the song list on the mac screen but there aren't any on tv just white. This was the same result when I tried my friends computer screen to check that problem is related to AIR. The photo is lousy and resolution is bad but the main thing are the colors which aren't right.

Photo on tv
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62571100/IMG_0660.JPG

Photo on AIR's screen.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62571100/IMG_0661.JPG

See? The grey is missing. Only white under the header where is the list of the sizes of external hard drives.

Last edited by SR-71; Oct 7, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
SR-71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Luigi3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
So there is a thing with color calibration. When you have calibrated screen in air, that doesnt' mean that quality like in air will be exactly the same on TV.
Luigi3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:41 PM   #11
SR-71
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi3 View Post
So there is a thing with color calibration. When you have calibrated screen in air, that doesnt' mean that quality like in air will be exactly the same on TV.
Well if I play movie through my apple tv3 which is connected with hdmi to TV. Everything is fine dark is dark on TV but when I play movie from AIR to TV through the adapter->hdmi>TV. Black is grey so there isn't problem on TV. It's must bee something with AIR and how it is processing the data.
SR-71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Luigi3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Well if I play movie through my apple tv3 which is connected with hdmi to TV. Everything is fine dark is dark on TV but when I play movie from AIR to TV through the adapter->hdmi>TV. Black is grey so there isn't problem on TV. It's must bee something with AIR and how it is processing the data.
beg to differ

Apple TV is not Air. Even when you're streaming, the screen is not from Air, but from ATV. Air just gives the data to the ATV, ATV is configurated for TVs, Air not.

Thunderbolt is very unusual connector, so alternative adapters might be not perfect. Just go system preferences->Monitors->Colors(something like this, sorry now I don't have english on my mac) and change profile.

There can be other thing. Thunderbolt and HDMI are digital data connectors. This adapter might be some queer mix and translate digital data from Air to analog(like in old VGA ports)and later streams corrupted video to the HDMI.
Luigi3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:31 PM   #13
SR-71
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi3 View Post
beg to differ

Apple TV is not Air. Even when you're streaming, the screen is not from Air, but from ATV. Air just gives the data to the ATV, ATV is configurated for TVs, Air not.

Thunderbolt is very unusual connector, so alternative adapters might be not perfect. Just go system preferences->Monitors->Colors(something like this, sorry now I don't have english on my mac) and change profile.

There can be other thing. Thunderbolt and HDMI are digital data connectors. This adapter might be some queer mix and translate digital data from Air to analog(like in old VGA ports)and later streams corrupted video to the HDMI.
"Apple TV is not Air. Even when you're streaming, the screen is not from Air, but from ATV. Air just gives the data to the ATV, ATV is configurated for TVs, Air not." That's what I tried to say when Apple tv handles data everything is fine but when AIR is connected it won't work. Wierd if Air isn't compatible with TVs because PCs that I've tried go just fine.

I have to try that. Thanks, but I think that it won't solve the problem because same thing happened when I connected Air to this screen via adapter.
Yes. That's true.
I won't blame this adapter because people on the apple forum tried Moshi HDMI adapter and had same problems. AIR just can't handle the HDMI connection yet.

Last edited by SR-71; Oct 7, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
SR-71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Luigi3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
BTW, it really pisses me off that Air doesn't have hdmi port like rMBP.
Luigi3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 05:09 PM   #15
bwhinnen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego
I use a different adapter than you, the Moshi one (http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1...-audio-support) and I've had no troubles at all, I've used my 11" mid 2011 air with my own TV (Samsung series 6 40" LCD) as well as a Phillips TV in a hotel room. The images are always crisp and work without an issue.

At home I go via a Onkyo receiver and in the hotel room it was direct to the TV. I've used it to display photos from iPhoto, movies from iTunes and general desktop usage and the colours have always been as expected on the TV (no different from my HTPC, Apple TV2, or cable).

I am wondering if there is a) something amiss with your thunderbolt port, b) the adapter or c) you have a different model Air to me, i.e a 2012
bwhinnen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:55 AM   #16
sligh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
EFI firmware update to fix color issues

Apple released an EFI64 firmware update on the 9th for mid-2012 air models. It address color issues when using HDMI.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1623
sligh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:59 AM   #17
thepro8
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
The update didn't fix my issues.
thepro8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is the best HDMI adapter for MacBook Air(2013)? Jaranson MacBook Air 8 Jun 22, 2014 08:48 AM
KVM Dock with 2 HDMI Monitors Macbook Air mgibbonsjr Mac Peripherals 0 Dec 1, 2013 11:08 PM
MacBook Air mid-2009 HDMI audio Cave Man MacBook Air 2 May 31, 2013 08:15 PM
Help with Macbook Air, Thunderbolt / HDMI to monitor Ldogextreme Mac Basics and Help 1 May 2, 2013 04:53 AM
I Can't Get My Macbook Air To Appear On My LCD TV Via My HDMI Adapter PaulNI MacBook Air 2 Jun 12, 2012 05:24 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC