Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Dataz
macrumors member

Exclamation Help, I want to stream movies via 4G!

Hello,

I commute to work and I like to watch TV-show episodes to pass the time. I don't have much space left on my Mini so I thought about the possibility to stream episodes from some sort of free cloud solution like Dropbox to my Mini via 4G mobile broadband... sadly Dropbox only allows/streams 15 min clip.

Any other free cloud storage solution(s) with unrestricted streaming, i.e. stream TV-show episodes from the cloud to my iPad via 4G.

Last edited by Dataz; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Dataz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

netflix/hulu/youtube

i think VLC pro can also stream your home media
isephmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:56 AM   #3
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Microsoft Skydrive. You get 7GB storage free.

But what kind of cellular data plan do you have? Unless you have unlimited, streaming videos will quickly eat up your data allotment.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:19 AM   #4
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataz View Post
Hello,

I commute to work and I like to watch TV-show episodes to pass the time. I don't have much space left on my Mini so I thought about the possibility to stream episodes from some sort of free cloud solution like Dropbox to my Mini via 4G mobile broadband... sadly Dropbox only allows/streams 15 min clip.

Any other free cloud solution(s) with unrestricted streaming?

Please note: I only use retail DVD('s) i bought and converted to .mp4 so I can watch it on my iPad so no illegal downloads or anything...oh, and I will not share the episodes with anyone. Just watch them myself on the train.

Edit: Hm... it seems possible to do what I want to do with Pogoplug.
Via 4G?

I doubt the experience would be good. Perhaps via LTE. My experience with streaming on 4G is that its useless.

You might look at the WIFI drive technology offered by Hyperdrive if you are out of space on your iPad.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:23 AM   #5
braddicted2mac
macrumors member

no room why not buy an ultra light laptop at least then you'll have 200- 500 gig of space to add movies
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
ZBoater
macrumors 603

What size/storage mini do you have?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:43 PM   #7
kevroc
macrumors regular

Cineplayer can play local content and can also read files from your dropbox account to stream.

There are portable wifi drives, like the Kingston Wi-Drive that you carry with you and access the content via a wifi connection direct to the device.

http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless#wid

Edit:
Just read your note about your local dvd content. I do that with Plex Media Server, it's a media server that runs on my pc at home and I have a Plex app on the ipad.
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:37 PM   #8
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

airvideo server and app work great over cellular
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:27 PM   #9
nerdybooboo
macrumors member

Happy new year everyone~!!

Last edited by nerdybooboo; Jan 19, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
nerdybooboo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:36 PM   #10
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Via 4G?

I doubt the experience would be good. Perhaps via LTE. My experience with streaming on 4G is that its useless.

You might look at the WIFI drive technology offered by Hyperdrive if you are out of space on your iPad.
Stream from my NAS at home to a 3GS all of the time.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Dataz
macrumors member

I have no problem with speed or bandwidth so don't worry about that, I just need suggestions on free cloud storage solution(s) with unrestricted streaming, i.e. stream TV-show episodes from the cloud to my iPad via 4G.
Dataz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:35 AM   #12
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Stream from my NAS at home to a 3GS all of the time.
Over 4g or wifi?
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 PM   #13
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataz View Post
I have no problem with speed or bandwidth so don't worry about that, I just need suggestions on free cloud storage solution(s) with unrestricted streaming, i.e. stream TV-show episodes from the cloud to my iPad via 4G.
Airvideo does this. It will even convert on the go any video format.

You have to keep the server running on the computer. I stream from my NAS hooked up to AirPort Extreme all the time. Over 4G and wifi.However it is not cloud storage.

Last edited by wknapp0924; Jan 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:36 PM   #14
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzap View Post
over 4g or wifi?
Neither, 3G.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:21 PM   #15
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Trying to do this with the cloud is like sending blank checks to AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. Just one movie could burn through 2GB. One 1080p HD movie could burn through 4GB-8GB+. Even if you have "unlimited", you'll get throttled by the end of about the first or second movie or about the 5th or so TV show. If so, then this solution won't work so well. Unless you just have money to burn, this is not a great use of cellular technology.

As others have offered, wifi hard drive sounds like the way to go for this desire: relatively cheap and relatively huge storage (whole collections of movies or TV show series could fit on just one device). Watch any of that on your iPad when you want and add nothing in costs to your cellular service (or burn no additional bandwidth against your quota or throttling limit). Here's just one that is a very small package: http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless#wid and I've seen wifi drives with capacities up to at least 1TB.

Alternatively, unload some of the content stored on your iDevice and sync a few things you want to watch. Then, delete them and sync some other stuff. Consider upgrading for more storage if you bought the 16GB or 32GB version of your iDevice.

If you are absolutely stuck on cloud storage and 3G/4G streaming, I believe the new Kim Dotcom service might be worth a look: https://mega.co.nz/ (some news about it: http://www.zdnet.com/kim-dotcoms-bac...ga-7000010043/) and/or mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/ Both pitch 50GB for free.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Jan 20, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad