Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 1, 2013, 08:47 AM   #126
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Gotta follow up on this...I still think lithium cells are in their infancy but there is definitely major progress.

My folks just purchased their second RV. While virtually the same size and features, this RV eliminates an already high-efficiency propane generator by the usage of pretty massive fixed and folding solar panels and larger batteries. It also incorporates a few newer technologies in terms of gas-savings, water-savings, and exhaust-reheating that save the earth and your pocket book.

They had a few lithium options but a few months ago they temporarily suspended the options due to some pretty major issues, and so the folks are having to get a model with the more harmful, heavier, and lower-power-density lead-acid deep-cycle batteries...which from an environmental and functional perspective, isn't as good for the earth nor for longer drain intervals. On a positive note, these types of lead-acid deep-cycle gel batteries perform better, last longer, and can more easily be recycled, but they are still a far cry from something like LiMn or LiPo...supposedly there will be at least a year delay before lithium options are available while cooling and protection options are most closely reworked.

It's still pretty sweet to consider that a solar panel is eliminating the usage of a generator in its entirety, and according to my folks, this is the direction that most of the mid-level and high-level RVs are moving in. And if you have ever been in an RV with the generator running, it's annoyingly LOUD. I had no idea solar panels were able to give this degree of performance, but the most recent ones can charge enough batteries to run basic electronics for the entire night!

Still kind of a bummer they won't be getting lithium cells. Surprisingly, the Mercedes-built diesel gets better mileage than many SUVs...and the newer generation power inverters are a few hundred percent more efficient than previous models. So from both a financial perspective and an environmental one, it's a win but there is still a ways to go in regards to increased efficiency.

Since last posting in this thread which was only like 2 months ago, my office has installed another 10 charging stations including 4 for our clients driving electric vehicles, multiple employees here have purchased electric vehicles due to greater practicality, and a few hundred new charging stations have opened at public and private businesses throughout the city I live in. And the guy who lives a few doors down from me bought a Tesla. So there is without doubt progress...and the feasibility of ultra-high efficiency vehicles are growing at a pleasing rate, as are more options for end-consumers to save money through personal choice in grande capitalistic fashion.
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Tags
climate, coal, electric, hybrid drive