Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:14 PM   #26
elvisizer
macrumors 6502

I'm a big fan of this blower for cleaning electronics- it's safe to use, comes with a number of handy micro attachments, and costs 1/4 the 3m kit that was linked earlier. It's very powerful.
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=pd_cp_e_3
elvisizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:50 PM   #27
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray M View Post
How often do you all dust your MP's?
Once or twice a year.
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:57 PM   #28
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Thank you everyone for your replies! I have read them all and will keep any good advice in mind for next time! It's already noticeably quieter, and I'd bet cooler too.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:50 AM   #29
slughead
macrumors 68030

>First time cleaning Mac Pro with compressed air, any advice?

Do it outside
slughead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:12 PM   #30
steveOooo
macrumors 6502

I just found this which is a compressed air blower but without the need to buy cans all the time - a electro vac which is a small mains powered compressed air blower thingy (sounds like a hair dryer when in use)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B003BZCOKK

Ive heard however that it's not fit for industrial usage - ie will be fine if you use now and again per year vs every other day in a big it dept.

Available for around 82 from amazon uk with uk 3pin plug or $50 from America lol!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B007NUSD7M
steveOooo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:33 PM   #31
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by slughead View Post
>First time cleaning Mac Pro with compressed air, any advice?

Do it outside
Oh yeah, definitely lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveOooo View Post
I just found this which is a compressed air blower but without the need to buy cans all the time - a electro vac which is a small mains powered compressed air blower thingy (sounds like a hair dryer when in use)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B003BZCOKK

Ive heard however that it's not fit for industrial usage - ie will be fine if you use now and again per year vs every other day in a big it dept.

Available for around 82 from amazon uk with uk 3pin plug or $50 from America lol!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B007NUSD7M
Oh cool. Thanks for the link. Is it safe for electronics though? It doesn't produce static does it?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:15 PM   #32
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Oh cool. Thanks for the link. Is it safe for electronics though? It doesn't produce static does it?
Nope.

Static only occurs when an insulator is moving across the surface of another insulator. If you're sucking up LOTS of dust (like, visible chunks) through a vacuum cleaner- then that will generate a HUGE static buildup inside the PVC hose. This is why the 3M ESD-safe vacuums have grounded hoses. I was once vacuuming out an old computer with a standard house vac, and the static buildup was great enough that it eventually arced from the tip of the hose to the PCB through air- about 2". That computer never booted again.

There's nothing coming out of that duster other then air, so it's totally safe to use.

-SC
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:18 PM   #33
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCaptain View Post
Nope.

Static only occurs when an insulator is moving across the surface of another insulator. If you're sucking up LOTS of dust (like, visible chunks) through a vacuum cleaner- then that will generate a HUGE static buildup inside the PVC hose. This is why the 3M ESD-safe vacuums have grounded hoses. I was once vacuuming out an old computer with a standard house vac, and the static buildup was great enough that it eventually arced from the tip of the hose to the PCB through air- about 2". That computer never booted again.

There's nothing coming out of that duster other then air, so it's totally safe to use.

-SC
Oh good! So it's only if it's sucking in the air, and if it isn't grounded like proper electronic safe vacuums? Thanks mate.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro