Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
How would I go about deleting "other" on my hard drive? A few days ago I tried to partition the hard drive so I can install Windows 7. Long story short, I couldn't for some reason. Now I discover, there's almost 400GB of other and iMac is a little sluggish.

I'm using Mountain Lion. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 6.54.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 6.54.57 PM.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 111

VAvW

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Seen this before and "other" turned out to be images (photographs) in need of transfer to an external HDD.

VAvW

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Take a look at your personal files, see if there is a folder that is excessively large and could account for (a large part of) the "other" files.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
There are posts on this forum which will explain what other is. I've created a detailed one. However, your case is quite specific. Other is many different files, but in your case it is probably mainly the remains of the failed partition operation. I would not recommend trying to fix this yourself, unless you have a good understanding of os x and the terminal. Doing a restore from a previous backup, as per the above advice, is the best option. You did do a backup before trying to repartition your hard drive? Right?

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
There are posts on this forum which will explain what other is. I've created a detailed one. However, your case is quite specific. Other is many different files, but I your case it is probably mainly the remains of the failed partition operation. I would not recommend trying to fix this yourself, unless you have a good understanding of os x and the terminal. Doing a restore from a previous backup, as per the above advice, is the best option. You did do a backup before trying to repartition your hard drive? Right?

Unfortunately I do not have a backup of my computer. The only important things are my photos and music that I just transfered to my flash drive. I have a somewhat decent understanding of OS X but can follow a guide to a tee.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Trace down where all the files are. You can start by doing a get 'get info' on each folder starting with your home directory. Or use a program like 'Disk Inventory X' and trace down the folder tree were all the space is.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Trace down where all the files are. You can start by doing a get 'get info' on each folder starting with your home directory. Or use a program like 'Disk Inventory X' and trace down the folder tree were all the space is.

I used the app but there's nothing that consumes 400GB. Should I follow theSeb's guide?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Well the "other" is definitely from the failed attempts at my iMac trying to partition the hard drive and install Windows 7.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Then absolutely format and start fresh if you have all your applications available to reinstall, and have backed up your personal data. 400GB is a lot for a Windows partition, especially on a 500GB drive! Good Luck

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
The odd thing is, there aren't any partitions showed in Disk Utilities.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 10.12.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 10.12.40 PM.png
    151 KB · Views: 65

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

Don't waste more time. Pull the files you need and just format. You can haven been done with this and back up and running several hours ago. Just do it. Format.

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL

That's what you would expect if it was a 'failed' attempt to create a partition. It allocated the space, but never wrote the new partition table. I have seen Boot Camp Assistant do this a few times.

Have you tried clicking on the physical disk itself in Disk Utility (not the volume) and running 'repair disk'?

That runs a partition repair, not a disk repair.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
That's what you would expect if it was a 'failed' attempt to create a partition. It allocated the space, but never wrote the new partition table. I have seen Boot Camp Assistant do this a few times.

Have you tried clicking on the physical disk itself in Disk Utility (not the volume) and running 'repair disk'?

That runs a partition repair, not a disk repair.

I did that and nothing seemed to work. I formatted the drive and re-installed ML. All is well now. Thanks for the help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.