Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 18, 2013, 04:57 PM   #76
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Because as long as you have intel its always nice to challenge your "skills" in a way. plus I love the looks I get when I walk into starbucks with my g3 and start playing quake III online. followed by some rendering, photoshop and forum browsing.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:55 AM   #77
NaiGuy
macrumors newbie

Sadly I don't use my PPC for daily tasks, most of the time I'm gaming, or messing with a recent Linux Distro or something.

tbh thought when I do use them, they are still relatively powerful machines, and are plenty capable, especially for the price you can get them at today. However if you want a huge library of software, paying a lil extra for a late P4 machine or an early CoreDuo/Core2Duo Machine with Windows may tickle your fancy more.

In terms of design I feel the PPC macs were more innovative, they looked nicer then PCs of the time and even with the similarities between machines there was always a distinct difference everytime a new one was released.

In terms of power I've seen alot of Machines from there time which can't hold a candle to them, shame there not as supported as they once were. They also seem better build, I don't doubt that they have falts, look at the G5s, but alot of PCs from the early 2000s suffered from bad caps due to companies trying to be as cheep as possible. I've never seen a ppc mac with blown caps, at most a bad harddrive.

If it wasent for me wanting to play the latest games, my dual 1.0GHz MMD would be fine for me for everything I do. Light Gaming, Web surfing, watching youtube. these machines are not obsolite by any means and I feel that there users can get alot more life out of them. in one way or another.
NaiGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 12:52 PM   #78
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiGuy View Post
Sadly I don't use my PPC for daily tasks, most of the time I'm gaming, or messing with a recent Linux Distro or something.

tbh thought when I do use them, they are still relatively powerful machines, and are plenty capable, especially for the price you can get them at today. However if you want a huge library of software, paying a lil extra for a late P4 machine or an early CoreDuo/Core2Duo Machine with Windows may tickle your fancy more.

In terms of design I feel the PPC macs were more innovative, they looked nicer then PCs of the time and even with the similarities between machines there was always a distinct difference everytime a new one was released.

In terms of power I've seen alot of Machines from there time which can't hold a candle to them, shame there not as supported as they once were. They also seem better build, I don't doubt that they have falts, look at the G5s, but alot of PCs from the early 2000s suffered from bad caps due to companies trying to be as cheep as possible. I've never seen a ppc mac with blown caps, at most a bad harddrive.

If it wasent for me wanting to play the latest games, my dual 1.0GHz MMD would be fine for me for everything I do. Light Gaming, Web surfing, watching youtube. these machines are not obsolite by any means and I feel that there users can get alot more life out of them. in one way or another.
iMac G5s have HUGE, HUGE issues with blown caps.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 04:31 PM   #79
Scraggly Puff
macrumors newbie

for me, when they switched over to intel procs, they became overpriced pc's
Scraggly Puff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 07:45 PM   #80
JaguarGod
macrumors regular

It's sad, but I have had to go away from my PPC Macs as I have development that is sold for intel based Macs. But my PPC Macs were absolutely the best. My favorite (besides my G5 Quad of course) is my G4 Sawtooth. I just loved the design of the case and the graphite color scheme.

But you know what does it for me, as a lot of others have already stated, was that it felt great to use. This PPC "feeling" does exist. It exists because the PPC architecture severed the Mac experience from the Windows experience. Listen, us PPC Mac fans had not only better looking hardware along with a better user experience (whether OS9 or OSX in my opinion) but we had a better processor in my opinion. I do not care about the specs, I used both Macs and PC's and I ran a lot of the same programs on both and my Macs were just better at the tasks than the Windows PC's. Everything was separate from the Windows world.

Once Apple switched, it just felt different. Call it what you want, but it was not the same. I definitely understand the switch and I have gotten used to the intel architecture on my Macs. They are fast and powerful. But sadly, they are not the same.
JaguarGod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 09:41 PM   #81
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarGod View Post
It's sad, but I have had to go away from my PPC Macs as I have development that is sold for intel based Macs. But my PPC Macs were absolutely the best. My favorite (besides my G5 Quad of course) is my G4 Sawtooth. I just loved the design of the case and the graphite color scheme.

But you know what does it for me, as a lot of others have already stated, was that it felt great to use. This PPC "feeling" does exist. It exists because the PPC architecture severed the Mac experience from the Windows experience. Listen, us PPC Mac fans had not only better looking hardware along with a better user experience (whether OS9 or OSX in my opinion) but we had a better processor in my opinion. I do not care about the specs, I used both Macs and PC's and I ran a lot of the same programs on both and my Macs were just better at the tasks than the Windows PC's. Everything was separate from the Windows world.

Once Apple switched, it just felt different. Call it what you want, but it was not the same. I definitely understand the switch and I have gotten used to the intel architecture on my Macs. They are fast and powerful. But sadly, they are not the same.
Even if I have to change to intel Mac for any reason, I would still use my ibook. Why? Well, my G4 still works and it is very useful. It would be like my travel laptop or my 'going to meetings' laptop, since it is cheap, I wouldn't worry about it being stolen, and since thanks to my brother in law (who owns a G5) I save everything on Dropbox, I have less to worry about it someone steals it.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:27 PM   #82
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

I find having older versions of software on my older PPC macs has saved me a lot of headaches, when there is a feature I like on the older software that goes MIA in the newer version.

It gives me time to figure out a workaround.
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:56 PM   #83
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

I was a reluctant PPC Mac convert because of financial difficulties but am very glad that the PPC machine sare not only still around but incredible machine sthta continue to perform well. I had 2 iMacs, a MBP, along with the accompanying iOS devices and all of them had to be sold in order to pay bills. When I was able to find my iBook G4 and an iMac G5 for less than $300 total, I jumped on it since I was still going to want a compatible system with all of my file types.

I can honestly say that even though my iBook is not as powerful or as recent as the iMac and MBP that I had ti sell, it has been able to handle everything that I have thrown at it with no real issues. For an 8 year-old machine that I don't think was intended to last as long as it has, I am very impressed and will hold onto it as long as possible before buyiung a more recent machine and might even buy another PPC MAc as well.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 01:01 PM   #84
Sebct
macrumors member

As someone who has been using a PPC G5 for a couple of years I can say that it has definitely done well for the money I paid. I was doing a load of design work using CS3 including web and video work also. They really are great machines for the money. You can pick them up on ebay for next to nothing.

However, I've now moved to an intel Mac Pro due to being able to run the latest software etc which is a requirement when working with some clients.

iPad Air - iPhone 5S - MBP 17", 2.4 Ghz - iMac 20" - MBA 13" 2011 - Mac Pro - Dual Apple 30" Displays
Sebct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 08:18 PM   #85
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
How many 12 to 13 year old PCs are out there still being used in business today?
Not very many I'm sure but I'd wager a hell of a lot more than PPC laptops.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 12:11 AM   #86
Aameiel
macrumors regular

I use my Imac G4 for everyday uses. Its always been my favorite Mac !!! After some tweeking to the operating system it does everything i need it to do !!

www.retrogameage.com
Aameiel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 05:34 AM   #87
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I was a reluctant PPC Mac convert because of financial difficulties but am very glad that the PPC machine sare not only still around but incredible machine sthta continue to perform well
Heh tell me about it, I went from a unibody 15" MBP with hi-res screen to a 466Mhz Digital Audio G4 for similar reasons.
Old May 25, 2013, 04:08 PM   #88
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethryn Freyman View Post
Heh tell me about it, I went from a unibody 15" MBP with hi-res screen to a 466Mhz Digital Audio G4 for similar reasons.
Are you finding that it does all you need it to as well? I know when I have the money that I will go back to the Intel versions because I like having more power, but the fact that I was able to connect a modern bluetooth keyboard and a magic mouse to it with no difficulties makes me want to hold onto this machine until it dies.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 06:02 PM   #89
grockk
macrumors 6502

I'm amazed that my 12" PB on reduced settings running tenfourfox does everything I need on the web, plays video in quicktime or youview perfect, Office 2008 and iWork 09 can open all modern document formats. Totally capable machine.

Since the computer is hardly worth anything when selling it, only a complete hardware failure will make us part ways.
grockk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 10:45 PM   #90
noodle654
macrumors 68010

I have rotated out of a bunch of PPC Macs over the past 10 years. I have settled with 2 G5s, one of which is going to be sold soon. I use my Dual Core G5 to run my weather station, using Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac for my Vantage Pro 2. It is always running and transmits weather data to Weather Underground, NOAA, and CWOP, among others.

Technology and software for weather stations hasn't changed much over the years, so there is really no need to upgrade hardware (besides power efficiency/cost, but that isn't really a problem). The G5 handles everything, and I store years worth of data on it. I could probably use less hardware wise, but the G4 really struggled with radar programs for forecasting. With an SSD and the 7800GT, this G5 is still PLENTY capable!

Also, the G5 is just a great machine...definitely one of the most unique computers I have bought.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:42 PM   #91
MysticCow
macrumors regular

What keeps me attached is that it's still doing the job I need it to do. I run an attendance book and iTunes on it. It's good enough for any web browsing I need to do.

I suppose at some point it won't be able to do what I need it to do and it will be retired. Until that point, there is no reason at all for me to abandon any of my working PowerPC systems (although my Intel Mac mini handles everything the PPC ones can't).
MysticCow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs