Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadiphone5

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
2nd Iphone 5 unable to charge

I had a similar issue with my iPhone 5. I would have to wiggle the plug around and re-insert it into the phone several times before it would start charging. And, if I barely touched the cable, it would quit charging. I got two replacement cables and they worked for a little bit, but eventually the phone quit charging all together. Apple sent me a replacement iPhone 5 about a month or so ago and it has worked great until two nights ago. I had to plug it in and unplug it a few times before it would charge. Hopefully that was just a fluke deal...but, if it keeps up, I am going to be calling Apple back.

So I am up to my second IPHONE 5 which cant charge....tried multiple cables, multiple chargers...its an IPHONE 5 issue I am convinced....no connection to computer either - so you cannot back up your phone or charge it- cloud is the only option and as far as I can determine, I have not been able to back up photos or videos...so they are now lost!

I am very frustrated about this - Apple will send me yet another phone (I have a service contract) and I will use it for another 4-5 months .....I am wondering if others have experience this issue - I asked if Apple was seeing an issue with the connection port on the Iphone 5, but got no response....

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
So I am up to my second IPHONE 5 which cant charge....tried multiple cables, multiple chargers...its an IPHONE 5 issue I am convinced....no connection to computer either - so you cannot back up your phone or charge it- cloud is the only option and as far as I can determine, I have not been able to back up photos or videos...so they are now lost!

I am very frustrated about this - Apple will send me yet another phone (I have a service contract) and I will use it for another 4-5 months .....I am wondering if others have experience this issue - I asked if Apple was seeing an issue with the connection port on the Iphone 5, but got no response....

Try gently cleaning the port out with a rubber coated paper clip or something. Just be gentle when cleaning it. You will be surprised at how much crap gets in that little port. Once you cleaned it, try charging it again. This is what worked for me.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Try gently cleaning the port out with a rubber coated paper clip or something. Just be gentle when cleaning it. You will be surprised at how much crap gets in that little port. Once you cleaned it, try charging it again. This is what worked for me.

This, although cotton buds work really well as does a small vacuum attachment, an Apple store will clean it out for you if needs be even out of warranty, happened on my old 5.

beckersonian

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
same problem - easy solutions don't work

my wife and I are having the same problem. We have two different phones and two different brand new cables and both of us can charge off of our laptops just fine, but when we plug those same cables into any wall outlet (using our two different wall socket adapters) the phone says it's charging, but the charge level never actually increases.

We are using the same brand of wall adapters, true, but it's odd that such a simple device would fail in this way, and yet still deliver some current or signal to the phone, making me think it's a phone or software issue.

Katinatreesee

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Found a solution myself:

Just experienced this problem. I have an iPhone 4s and an iPhone 5c.

It turns out that if I use the iPhone 4s charger (the wall plug only but with the iPhone 5 adapter) with the iPhone 5c, the screen doesn't respond properly (cannot unlock, can't press accurately, etc). When I switched it out with the iPhone 5c charger wall plug, it worked perfectly even when plugged in.

Thus, I suggest you determine which plug goes with which Apple device and mark them so they don't get mixed up.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Found a solution myself:

Just experienced this problem. I have an iPhone 4s and an iPhone 5c.

It turns out that if I use the iPhone 4s charger (the wall plug only but with the iPhone 5 adapter) with the iPhone 5c, the screen doesn't respond properly (cannot unlock, can't press accurately, etc). When I switched it out with the iPhone 5c charger wall plug, it worked perfectly even when plugged in.

Thus, I suggest you determine which plug goes with which Apple device and mark them so they don't get mixed up.
Or there might be something off with that particular wall plug basically.

Katinatreesee

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Or there might be something off with that particular wall plug basically.

Perhaps, but the one that originally seemed problematic (iPhone 4s) continues to charge my iPhone 4s without issue (doesn't make screen difficult to work with).

coxt

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Before you spend any money, ......cleaning works

Hi,

I am unable to charge my iPHone 5 when its plugged in to a wall socket. Tried restarging the normal way and also, the rest option (power/home button).
Also, when connected to power source the screen does not respond.

it charges when connected to a computer so the charging point should be fine.
Anyone else having such issues or know how this can be solved ?

My son's iPhone 5 charger plug was very tentative in its connection. He had to use a rubber band to hold it tight enough. I looked at the port with a 15 x magnifier. There was an almost invisible layer of lint covering most of the bottom of the port. And it was very hard and compacted. Multiple mashings of the plug into the port had compressed the lint until it was like cloth. I fashioned a plastic pick out of a nozzle from a can of compressed air. ( I refused to use anything metal near those pins.) It took 20 solid minutes of careful picking away at this stubborn blanket of lint before it was all gone. My son was amazed when, after I handed it to him and he plugged it in, the iPhone 5 chimed immediately and began charging immediately. I'm going to order some dust covers for the port. Side note:
I have twins. A boy and a girl. My son carries his iphone in his pants pocket. My daughter, in her purse. My son's phone has had recurring port clogging issues. My daughter has never had any. So, if you carry your phone in your pants pocket without a dust cover for the charging port, try this cleaning operation first before you spend any money.

Kelsey97

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2016
Just in case anyone else is having this issue, I figured out what was wrong. Apparently pocket lint builds up in the smaller port much more than the previous 30-pin port. All I had to do was take a paper clip and clean out the ton of lint that had accumulated in the port. Now I feel kind of dumb. :eek:

Omg i feel so dumb too! Just did this on my 5c that I have been trying to fix for weeks and it worked Thanks so much !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.