Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
An iWatch could work as the control system of an Augmented Reality ecosystem, allowing people to, for example, flip the pages of a virtual book with wrist gestures. Other than that... Meh.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
An iWatch could work as the control system of an Augmented Reality ecosystem, allowing people to, for example, flip the pages of a virtual book with wrist gestures. Other than that... Meh.

I have no idea what you think the iWatch could be - you present it as something amazing, give a pedestrian example of its potential, and then say "other than all the things it could do, it doesn't really do much".

This is like "A personal computer could perform millions of calculations per second, running programs of infinite variety and sophistication, operated through a graphical interface, allowing people to, for example, have a digital clock on a CRT. Other than that . . . MEH."

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Who still wears a watch these days, ive not worn one since my Nokia 3310 could tell me the time.

to me a watch is now a piece of jewelry rather than a functional item in the modern world, like cuff links and Snoods, no need for them unless your living in the 1800s

:D

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
So that's why he approved these?

And these?

Colors... people usually have a color they prefer. PLus, these products are targeted to the younger generations, which don't have much trouble deciding based on color preference. For most of them, specs are meaningless.

----------

Choice isn't bad when it's something like storage.

The only choice is storage which should be offered because that is RELATIVE to the user and their storage needs.

It's not like they have for sale iPads with faster processors and slow processors, iPads with different GPUs, different cameras, different screens, etc (other then the previous gen).

In the CURRENT gen you have 1 choice. That is the current iPad.

As for iPad vs Mini...that's acceptable. Again relative to user needs.

To compare the current Apple to the 90s would require Apple of today to put out 6-10 different iPads, 6-10 different iPhones, etc. That is what Samsung and Android currently have going.

I understand what you mean. And I don't have a complain about Storage Capacity.
I'm referring to having a small iPhone, then a big iPhone, two different iPad versions. add color choices, etc. It's all becoming like pop music.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
This iWatch doesn't exist as a product for sale but already we've got people telling is why it won't work, even though they have no idea what it will look like, what it will do or how much it will cost.

I'm predicting that the iCycle will be a huge failure, too, because it's a dumb idea. Who'd want to buy an overpriced Apple-made bicycle with a Retina display between the handlebars? Are you supposed to take your hands off the handlebars to use it? Stupid! (Yes, I realize that this isn't even a rumor yet, but it might become one, and then it might become an actual product, and Apple will be doomed!) :D

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Who still wears a watch these days, ive not worn one since my Nokia 3310 could tell me the time.

to me a watch is now a piece of jewelry rather than a functional item in the modern world, like cuff links and Snoods, no need for them unless your living in the 1800s

:D

I still wear a watch. It's a lot faster and easier to tilt my head and look down at my wrist than it is to reach into my pocket (especially if I'm sitting down, which involves shifting position or standing up, depending on how tight my pocket is), pull out my iPhone, press the home button, look at the time, and put the phone back in my pocket. I check my watch multiple times a day, so the convenience factor adds up.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I still wear a watch. It's a lot faster and easier to tilt my head and look down at my wrist than it is to reach into my pocket (especially if I'm sitting down, which involves shifting position or standing up, depending on how tight my pocket is), pull out my iPhone, press the home button, look at the time, and put the phone back in my pocket. I check my watch multiple times a day, so the convenience factor adds up.

if i am sitting down, its usually in front of a PC at work, and the time is right there on the bar at the bottom of the screen, the other occasions im sitting are when driving (clock on dash) or at a restaurant or watching a movie at the cinema, neither of those tasks usually require a time check until after the event, and usually ill check the time as i check messages or calls received whilst i was eating/watching the movie.

We are living in a post wrist watch era :p

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This iWatch doesn't exist as a product for sale but already we've got people telling is why it won't work, even though they have no idea what it will look like, what it will do or how much it will cost. I've never figured out why people poo-poo a watch but get a hard on for glasses.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/02/11/5-reasons-why-apples-iwatch-will-fail.aspx

Maybe the reason has to do with the fact that lots and lots of people already buy expensive eyewear, while fewer and fewer people are buying wristwatches, expensive or otherwise. This isn't 1985 anymore.

I'll read the link you provided.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Maybe the reason has to do with the fact that lots and lots of people already buy expensive eyewear, while fewer and fewer people are buying wristwatches, expensive or otherwise. This isn't 1985 anymore.

People keep repeating 'people don't wear watches anymore' as though what the iWatch might do would be utterly irrelevant.

:) "Hey, here's a watch that integrates with your other Apple devices; gives you notifications; works with Siri; serves as a security pass for electronics, houses, and cars; tells time; has bluetooth audio; and who knows what else this hypothetical product will do."

:cool: "Sorry dude, I don't wear watches any more. Why would I when I can just look at the time on my smartphone."

Brilliant.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Here is what iOS needs!

1.) Widgets (or something similar).
2.) Auxo (just copy it, no one will be mad)
3.) Finder (Siri needs a man��).

Until there is a way to access the files, I'll consider iOS to be fatally dumbed down.

That being said, the additions you cite couldn't hurt.

----------

SJ was smart in this sense: Don't give people too many choices!

That works with some of the people all of the time, and with all of the people some of the time. But it ain't never gonna work with all of the people all of the time.

----------

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I still dont know if this iWatch thing is real. It literally doesn't make sense to me. who do they think will go out in droves and buy this thing? Maybe its just me but I cant see it.

jjd

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2003
I think Apple will leave it a good year or so before making the iPad mini Retina. It would have been a massive insult to early adopters if they'd have brought that out less than 6 months after the first was released.

I don't think Apple is worried about "insulting" customers by improving its products. iPad 3 to iPad 4 was 230 days (to take one example only). A similar interval would see an iPad mini 2 in mid May.

Sure, the tech/ cost may not be there yet, but competitive pressures will prevent any dawdling by Apple for the sake of protecting customers from perceived obsolescence.

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
The 4" screen size on the iPhone 5 was simply a move to 16:9

yes, i can understand that, but its just my opinion and won't apply to all people but i feel that it should have been a bit wide too.. 16:9 is nice for videos but for other apps in landscape mode it just doesn't feel right to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.