Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
If I am reading some articles correctly, it indicated that the glass on the iPhone is as hard as gorilla glass.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
While that's true, even gorilla glass can scratch and crack/shatter. It's just a bit more difficult to do so than regular glass.

I have a Ghost Armor full body skin on my iPhone 5. By and large, it looks like a naked iPhone, but isn't nearly as easy to scratch.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Sure it has Gorilla glass, but the oleophobic coating still scratches very easily. I don't think that the screen itself ever scratches, but the coating doesn't change from iPhone to iPhone, so its just as vulnerable to scratches as the iPhone 4 and 4s were. I'd definitely use a screen protector if you freak out about small scratches.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
My naked iPhone 4S has been dropped several times , face down, in my gravel driveway, and once in a bar, right on the corner. I got the warrantee so I didn't fret, but I am amazed how durable this thing is. Once or twice could be luck, but four or five? Ridiculously strong phone.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I don't. After a year and some change my iPhone 4S was fine. My wife carriers her phone in her purse just bouncing around with all her junk. After a year and a half her iPhone 4 is fine. The glass is hard and if you make a decent attempt to take care of it you'll be fine.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I have tried them on my previous phone but I always end up peeling them off after a few hours or days. They make take away from the quality of the screen in my opinion.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I have tried them on my previous phone but I always end up peeling them off after a few hours or days. They make take away from the quality of the screen in my opinion.

This is what always happens to me. My "must protect huge investment" phase doesn't last all that long. I also make sure to keep my phone only in my pockets without other things in said pocket, so I don't ever scratch them. If I do, it's just hairline and who knows where that comes from, you know? Haha

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

That's why you get a glass screen protector. Feels just like the original glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.