Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
So I'm a bit disappointed in the performance I'm seeing in wow on my new laptop... I sprung for the top of the line, but I can't even run the game in "Recommended" settings which is well below max at any more than 10-15 fps... granted I'm on a high pop realm, but should this be? Did Bliz kick up the graphics that much? or is this a case of badly optimized graphics for the mac?

Would I get much better performance running it under windows 8?

Anyone else have any feedback?

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I'm assuming from your specs you mean the 15" rMBP.

1. Do not run at 2880x1800... run a lower res, or it will run slow.

2. turn off the auto graphics switching so the nvidia GPU is on all the time. Some games have problems at times with auto switching and I have no idea why... and some games get slightly better performance if you do this.

3. Try resetting your SMC and see how it works... some people have complained about their GPUs getting stuck in a low power cool mode and running bad, and a SMC reset often fixes that.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
thanks, the lower res helped, but its odd as the games own best or recommended settings call for the 2880 res..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.