Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
My ipad mini will not connect to my home wifi or any other wifi. I restored as new ipad and same issue. Everytime I try to connect it says unable to connect to my wifi.My iphone and all other devices connect fine. Ive forgot network, reset network settings, and finally restored. Is this a known problem with the ipad mini? Any suggestions?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED 2/14/2013

Finally over a month later they sent me out a new, probably refurbished unit. The Senior iOS advisor, Matt Burns, told me we could discuss some type of compensation for all my time, money and frustration. I received the replacement ipad mini and it works as it should. Its Been a few weeks and I never heard back from Matt, he would not return my emails. So I called and spoke to customer relations. Bob Henderson was very apologetic and helpful. He offered me a $250 credit to purchase a item from Apple, so I got a 1tb Buffalo Thunderbolt drive. It just arrived along with two Apple thermos'.

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
The first thing to try would be entering your network info manually. To do so, go to Settings>Wi-Fi>Other. There you will need to enter your SSID (Network name) and your Wi-Fi password.

Do other devices connect just fine? Since you have an iPhone, try forgetting the network on it and having it reconnect. I'd also try rebooting your router.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
The first thing to try would be entering your network info manually. To do so, go to Settings>Wi-Fi>Other. There you will need to enter your SSID (Network name) and your Wi-Fi password.

Do other devices connect just fine? Since you have an iPhone, try forgetting the network on it and having it reconnect. I'd also try rebooting your router.

I've already done all that, as stated. No dice. I think its fried.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I've already done all that, as stated. No dice. I think its fried.

You never mentioned entering the network info manually, so that's why I suggested it. I doubt something is wrong with the Mini, but you can always take it an Apple Store and have a Genius check it out. They'll swap it if they find the Wi-Fi is borked.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
Multiple people, myself included, are having this issue.

What you will find I bet is that you can actually connect, but only if the mini is about 10cm maximum from the router.

Have tried all the suggested fixes, and so yes, I bet that there is something wrong with our minis. From the above it seems hardware related. I've booked in to have it replaced, hopefully you get yours as well. I think part of the antenna is fried.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
Help

This thing is becoming a ****ing nightmare! I called apple last night, they had me do all the basic trouble shooting that has been mentioned above. They told me to take it to my local apple which is a 40 minutes away. So I went to apple today. When I finally got help, they ipad connected to their wifi with zero issue. They did not have a encrypted wifi, so the "genius" and I walked down to a bar (actual alcohol serving bar) we got the password from the bartender and the ipad connected zero issue. The apple genius said since he could not get the issue to duplicate, he did not see any issues. He said I could have it replaced, but he could not guarantee that it would be a new unit. I told him I did not want a used unit.

So, he told me since I bought it at bestbuy to go see if they will replace it. I went to bestbuy. Bestbuy connected the ipad to their wifi zero issue! They told me that my router is courrupt. I told them no it is not. I can connect other ipads, my mbp,ipt, and other devices to my router flawlessly. Plus, this ipad will not connect to my apple airport extreme, my uncles Motorola router, his buddies router, or my aunts router. How can all of those routers be corrupt at the same time, they cant!

The girl told me I can return it, but they do not have a replacement. They get a shipment tomorrow, but there is no telling if there will be a ipad mini on it. She offered to give me full refund, but this ipad was a gift so I dont want the money, I want the ipad working. I then left the store to think about wtf to do. I called bestbuy to have them track a ipad at another bestbuy so I can go replace it there. The guy I spoke to said I cant replace it since its been over a month since I purchased it, I purchased it on 11/02.

No Im concerned if I ever do get a replacement that the same issue if not others will occur then no one will want to replace it since its well over a month old.

Sorry for all the grammar errors and ****!

What would you guys do? Im doing all this for my uncle, as it was a birthday gift to him, and he has less patience than I, in solving the issue.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
Update

I took it back to best buy for the second time, to get a refund, like the first girl offered. The new girl said they charger adapter was missing and she needed it to return it. So I drove to my uncles house, got it, went back, and after waiting in a long ass line the 3rd girl said she can not return it because it has been over 30 days. I asked her why didnt the first two girls tell me that before I wasted all this time, but these punk ass kids dont give a **** about you or customer service. I was about to speak to a manager, but I just wanted to go home. So now Im calling apple back.

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
There is a new update out for the mini and I think it addressed some wifi issues, have you updated? Maybe go to a place where wifi connects and give it a try.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
There is a new update out for the mini and I think it addressed some wifi issues, have you updated? Maybe go to a place where wifi connects and give it a try.

I updated it last night when I restored. It is working fine through a airport express that is repeating a wifi signal from the airport extreme from the main house right now, but it wont work on in the main house on the air port extreme.

----------

Apple is sending me a refurbished unit. I just want my money back after all this hassle.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
]Apple is sending me a refurbished unit. I just want my money back after all this hassle.

You are completely over reacting. The 'hassle' has already occurred (and could have been solved if you just rang around a bit first), so what good is getting the money going to do in that aspect? Besides, all you have to do is sit and wait if, as you are indicating, Apple are mailing you a replacement.

Just see what the new one is like first. If it does the same thing, then go get the refund.

And what do you expect from Apple or anyone else? If you go in an say there is a problem with connecting to wifi, and it then works fine in store... it is completely understandable that they can't just say 'YUP ITS BROKEN'. Otherwise anyone could walk in with any piece of kit and claim something doesn't work, then when they go into the store the genius finds it works yet still has to replace it.... apple would be haemorrhaging money. And yet still they did offer to switch it out for you, IMHO this is good customer service.

Basically, when I go in for this problem myself tomorrow, I am going in prepared. I am taking a video tonight showing how the problem occurs (and yet doesn't occur on other apple devices) and will have it edited up on my ipad itself to show the apple staff, since I know the mini connects to the store wireless as well.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
Oh and to be clear, this is an issue with 2.4 Ghz networks (as in I can only connect to them when I'm right next to the router), whether they are unsecured or not. And I'm using an airport extreme base station so thats not the issue either.

My video is made, should be enough to persuade the apple staff there is a legitimate problem.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
Update

I sent the ipad mini back to apple. I just got it back today and it still does not connect. I looked at the serial#, it is the same unit I sent them. It wont connect to my airport extreme, but it will connect to the airport express that is extending the signal off from the extreme. So this means it still will not work at my uncles home wifi. It connects to my extreme when it is inches away from the router, but when I take one step away it looses signal and says it is unable to connect. I so want my cash back! Im on the phone with apple now, and they are saying the techs could not get the issue to occur and it passed diagnostics. Now they want me to send it back again so they can replace it. I don't even want it anymore, who knows what other issues may occur in the future with this new product.

Last edited:

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
Have you tried it at the home of your uncle? Your posts reflect it connects to WiFi at other places, but not your home set up. There's no mention of whether it failed at your uncle's home.
It does not work at my uncles house. That's why Im doing all of this, that is the main place he uses it. It will connect when I hold it up to his router, but stops when I step away.

----------

im uploading a vid to youtube now...

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
Its the 2.4 antennae.

Mine had the same problem, and after more investigation, I realised it was connecting to 5Ghz wifi networks no problem, but couldn't connect to 2.4Ghz networks unless I was right next to them.

Get it swapped out for another unit. My replacement works just fine. This is the only solution, and its really easy to do.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
Its the 2.4 antennae.

Mine had the same problem, and after more investigation, I realised it was connecting to 5Ghz wifi networks no problem, but couldn't connect to 2.4Ghz networks unless I was right next to them.

Get it swapped out for another unit. My replacement works just fine. This is the only solution, and its really easy to do.
How did you figure this out?

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
I pieced it together bit by bit. I realised that it was very consistent which networks I could connect to, and which gave me the issue. Since I had my MacBook Air on me, I checked out more network details, and I could see 2.4 ghz networks were the culprit. A few hints were here on the forums too.

So finally I did a proper test. I set up my apple AirPort Extreme base station to have an unencrypted dual band N network, and confirmed that I could connect to the 5 ghz network anywhere in my house, but it struggled with the same connection on the 2.4 ghz frequency. Other devices worked fine.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
So Apple still has not resolved this issue. They had me email my router settings to them. I was told I receive a call back to see what the engineers have to say. Originally I was told to fedex the ipad to apple to have it repaired or replaced. They returned the same iPad and it still did not work. They said they could not make the issue happen for them. Before I sent the ipad to them I explained that was a strong possibility that the issue may not happen for them but it does exist. I even sent them the video of the ipad not connecting. So now Im playing the waiting game once again. After all of this, would you guys ask for them to try to compensate for my time, money and frustration in this incident ? I don't think it's right that customer Apple has given me the run around like this. What do you guys think? I really wish I never bought this ipad mini. The ipad mini2 will probably be out soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.