Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:34 AM   #1
elfy
macrumors 6502

iPod Classic as USB drive?

Hi there. I just got a new tv which has a USB port allowing me to play media from a USB flash drive. Is there a way to use my iPod Classic for this? Not a problem if not but it was just a thought that came to me, since I can use it as a drive when plugged into my iMac. The tv's a Samsung UE32EH5000.
elfy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:37 AM   #2
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I think the harddrive is way too slow for this.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:40 AM   #3
elfy
macrumors 6502

Ah, okay. Like I say, just a thought. Got a 64GB flash drive ordered anyway. Cheers.
elfy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfy View Post
Hi there. I just got a new tv which has a USB port allowing me to play media from a USB flash drive. Is there a way to use my iPod Classic for this? Not a problem if not but it was just a thought that came to me, since I can use it as a drive when plugged into my iMac. The tv's a Samsung UE32EH5000.
You could do it, but it'd put a lot of wear and tear on it. The video options on the iPod were meant to deal with movies that are custom tailored to fit the screen, and are very small in size - We're talking 120MB per 2 hours. It's designed to run smoothly when it's within that range. The current iPod Nano is the same specification too.

The disk use has always been there mainly for notes, calendar syncing, and the small chance that you needed to use it as a flash drive for documents. People used to use it in desperate times when they needed to re-install OS X from a copy of their installer or other means (FireWire versions only though).

I would suggest an external drive vs a flash drive. The sticks are not very good for running off of constantly either. You're going to wear it down very quickly.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:57 AM   #5
elfy
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info Jessica, much appreciated. Might end up using my external drive then.
elfy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:23 AM   #6
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

I would even wonder if the tv would read the drive or if it can only read flash memory just a thought.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
iMacC2D
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
I think the harddrive is way too slow for this.
The read/write speeds off the iPod Classic disk drive are significantly faster than most USB flash drives, so it certainly would be fast enough. As a matter of fact, Apple used the same 1.8" disks in the 2008-2010 model MacBook Airs, where they were used to boot the OS and perform video playback, among other tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You could do it, but it'd put a lot of wear and tear on it. The video options on the iPod were meant to deal with movies that are custom tailored to fit the screen, and are very small in size - We're talking 120MB per 2 hours. It's designed to run smoothly when it's within that range. The current iPod Nano is the same specification too.
I think the Classic drive would be able to withstand the use. While it may place some additional wear and tear on the drive, it would probably be no more than a regular hard drive would experience in the same scenario.

Nifty tip as well, but the USB based iPods also do a fine job of acting as an external boot drive or installer drive for a Mac, provided the machine is capable of booting from USB. All Intel based systems are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaielement View Post
I would even wonder if the tv would read the drive or if it can only read flash memory just a thought.
If it's anything like every TV I've ever dealt with, as long as the drive is in a compatible format (usually FAT32), it doesn't matter whether it's a hard drive or flash storage.

Current Machine: MacBook Air (Mid 2012) - 1.8GHz Core i5 / 8GB Mem. / 512GB SSD
iMacC2D is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod