Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Their software business... (not to include iOS and OSX)

Think of the progress that would be made in apps like iWork and Aperture.

By doing this Apple could continue to focus on Hardware and OSs while great software is being created for their platforms by 3rd parties...

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Their software business...

Think of the progress that would be made in apps like iWork and Aperture.

By doing this Apple could continue to focus on Hardware and OSs while great software is being created for their platforms by 3rd parties...

That doesn't work. Apple creates software in order to sell devices. They don't try to make much money from the software, but make ten times that from devices. For example, all iOS updates so far are free, and that's a reason to buy an iOS device.

If this business was spun off, whoever buys it would want to make maximum profit from it, and wouldn't care if that costs Apple hardware sales. MacOS X 10.9 would cost $129 again. Which would upset people, and they would buy fewer Macs, but that software company would do well. But Apple all in all would lose out.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
That doesn't work. Apple creates software in order to sell devices. They don't try to make much money from the software, but make ten times that from devices. For example, all iOS updates so far are free, and that's a reason to buy an iOS device.

If this business was spun off, whoever buys it would want to make maximum profit from it, and wouldn't care if that costs Apple hardware sales. MacOS X 10.9 would cost $129 again. Which would upset people, and they would buy fewer Macs, but that software company would do well. But Apple all in all would lose out.

Read what I wrote a bit closer... Their software business NOT their OS business...

Apple is clearly NOT in the software business!!!

They get more bad press because of disasters like:
- iWork (how many years since a major update)
- Aperture (how many years since a major update, LightRoom is now the go to app)
- Final Cut Pro (what a disaster that was)
- Logic Pro (long in the tooth)
- iLife (all needing major updates)

Just think how good these apps would be if they were in a software company, not a hardware company and how great applications would drive hardware sales...

It would not surprise me if we don't see an announcement maybe even at WWDC :) Spinoff to shareholders while keeping a minority interest, tantalizing...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It would not surprise me if we don't see an announcement maybe even at WWDC :) Spinoff to shareholders while keeping a minority interest, tantalizing...
It would surprise a lot of people if a spinoff happened, iWork and iLife sells computers, they wouldn't want the price increasing on those.

I do agree updates are needed on a lot of Apple's software.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
It would surprise a lot of people if a spinoff happened, iWork and iLife sells computers, they wouldn't want the price increasing on those.

I do agree updates are needed on a lot of Apple's software.

I can't imagine that iWork or iLife sell more than a fraction of computers. Why do you think the iWork would be priced higher than the $60 that it is right now?

Wouldn't you be willing to pay for an iWork solution that is order of magnitude more powerful than it is right now?

Apple has to break out of its parochial thinking :rolleyes:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I can't imagine that iWork or iLife sell more than a fraction of computers. Why do you think the iWork would be priced higher than the $60 that it is right now?

Wouldn't you be willing to pay for an iWork solution that is order of magnitude more powerful than it is right now?

Apple has to break out of its parochial thinking :rolleyes:
If Apple spun off the software, tghe software company would have to show a profit on all the software. iWork would go up in price as would the others. In truth, I don't think there are that many purchases of iLife since it comes with the computer. Would I pay more, yeah but not not what Office costs.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I agree that Apple's non-system s/w needs updates, but I can't imagine it forming the basis of a sustainable business. Suites like iWork and iLife are basically loss leaders for Apple.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just think how good these apps would be if they were in a software company, not a hardware company and how great applications would drive hardware sales...
Tim Cook says Apple isn't a hardware company.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
PS. I would love for The Omni Group to take over Apple's software products :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since apple uses software to generate hardware sales, I'd say this isn't in the cards.

I understand the lack of updates to their main products and I'll not refute that but generally speaking apple has used software to draw people into the hardware.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Since apple uses software to generate hardware sales, I'd say this isn't in the cards.

I understand the lack of updates to their main products and I'll not refute that but generally speaking apple has used software to draw people into the hardware.

I actually fail to see how Apple is effectively using software to generate hardware sales... They are in actuality hindering a robust OSX software environment.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They are in actuality hindering a robust OSX software environment.
Right now, I'd agree, since their OSX software has has seemingly withered on the vine, but generally speaking in the past they have used such a business model.

Still, while its long in the tooth, I found iWork, specifically numbers and its iCloud and iOS integration indispensable while on vacation last week. I also still use Aperture and find that it suits my needs.

I do think apple has focused so much attention on the iOS platform it has largely ignored OSX

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Good point on Apple not paying attention to these things more but instead of selling off the division, why not hire more people to work on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.