Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Is there a way in any language written for OSX (Applescript, C++, etc.) where I can access the function (adjust column width) in the context menu, when you right click on the two lines at the bottom of the Scrollbar in Finders Column View (AXMenu->AXMenuItem)? Same happens if you double click on the two lines.

Because, what I want to do is somehow get a shortcut on this function for »super-fast- finder-workflows« :)

thanks

bumper314

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
I explored this extensively a couple years back, but unfortunately there was no way to do it programmatically. I tried to do it by simulating mouse events, and it works OK, but not 100%...

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
How do you detect where to double click with the mouse?
Because basically it should expand the column where im currently
active in. That would probably be the optimal case.

Thanks

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Pushing the thread to the top —*maybe someone got a solution by now :)

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
trying to push again. It has to be possible somehow! :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
trying to push again. It has to be possible somehow! :)

If you can find a way to access the NSApplication, NSApplicationDelegate, or NSWindow, this is trivial. I feel like there's probably a fairly easy, hack for scanning through memory and finding the address. Then you just use introspection through the subviews until you find the column view and modify the relevant properties.

Alternatively, if Finder allows plugins, it may already let you know about the NSWindow.

It looks like Finder doesn't allow plugins, but other people have explored the methods that I was describing:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1294335/how-to-write-os-x-finder-plugin

Some of those answers look pretty good to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.