Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Or are they wrappers? I've got a Wishlist of games I want to buy, but rather would have them be OS X native (better performance if coded properly) than some wrapper/emulator.

Looking to buy:

The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Borderlands 2
Portal 2
Civilization 5

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Or are they wrappers? I've got a Wishlist of games I want to buy, but rather would have them be OS X native (better performance if coded properly) than some wrapper/emulator.

Looking to buy:

The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Borderlands 2
Portal 2
Civilization 5

Those are all native except for the first Witcher game which I believe was done with Wineskin.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Borderland 2, Civ5 and Portal 2 all run great on os x. no wrapper stuff going on while loading or anything.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
Counter Strike Global Offensive is native Mac game too. I think Rage might be native mac game too though I am not sure it. Every game that Valve produces are native mac games.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Counter Strike Global Offensive is native Mac game too. I think Rage might be native mac game too though I am not sure it. Every game that Valve produces are native mac games.

Yes, Rage is native. Almost all games are native that are on steam. The most recent one that's cider is Max Payne 3, and I've heard that game has problems. On GOG, it's the reverse, but it doesn't matter as they are all old games.

I wouldn't worry about the underlying tech so much as if the port works well or not. There are some cider ports that suck, but there are native ports that suck, too. (Assassin's Creed 2 is native, but it isn't that great.)

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
Yes, Rage is native. Almost all games are native that are on steam. The most recent one that's cider is Max Payne 3, and I've heard that game has problems. On GOG, it's the reverse, but it doesn't matter as they are all old games.

I wouldn't worry about the underlying tech so much as if the port works well or not. There are some cider ports that suck, but there are native ports that suck, too. (Assassin's Creed 2 is native, but it isn't that great.)

I did not play AC II on my Mac, hence I do not make any comment about it. Also Dragon Age II is native Mac games as well. I installed that game like 3 months ago because of the discount any it works well on my computer. I hope Mac games will increase next years. Bioshock will be next....

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I did not play AC II on my Mac, hence I do not make any comment about it. Also Dragon Age II is native Mac games as well. I installed that game like 3 months ago because of the discount any it works well on my computer. I hope Mac games will increase next years. Bioshock will be next....

DA2 is actually cider (transgaming did the port.)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Looking to buy:

The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Borderlands 2
Portal 2
Civilization 5

Some of them are native, some are wrappers.

I can comment on the witcher and BL2: it's a wrapper. Still performs pretty well but i have seen it crash.

BL2: not sure, but have not seen a crash, and performs about same as windows version (i have a copy in bootcamp as well).

DA2 is actually cider (transgaming did the port.)

Yup. It's also garbage and not worthy of being a sequel :D

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Some of them are native, some are wrappers.

I can comment on the witcher and BL2: it's a wrapper. Still performs pretty well but i have seen it crash.

BL2: not sure, but have not seen a crash, and performs about same as windows version (i have a copy in bootcamp as well).

Yup. It's also garbage and not worthy of being a sequel :D

Dirtyharry above was correct, they are all native except for The Witcher.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok, so the Witcher 2 is native, but NOT Witcher 1? Can't wait for the fall Steam sale.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Borderlands 2 is definitely native and so far is a very good port in my experience. You will need a proper two button mouse so you can zoom and shoot :)

XCOM (not on your list) is native as are all games released by Feral. Although right now only XCOM from the Feral games library is available on Steam.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
How can I tell if a game uses a wrapper (e.g. Cider)? Do you do like a Get Info on the Application file, or some other way to find out by inspecting the game files? I'd like to know the process.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How can I tell if a game uses a wrapper (e.g. Cider)? Do you do like a Get Info on the Application file, or some other way to find out by inspecting the game files? I'd like to know the process.

If it's Feral or Aspyr, you know it's native and you don't need to do anything.

If it's GOG and a game that is older than two years, it is WINE or DosBox.

If it's ported by transgaming, it's Wine, for obvious reasons. If it's published by EA itself, it's also Wine, except for the new SimCity coming out next month.

That should take care of most games. Other than that, you can right-click on "show package contents" of the app and see for yourself.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx

If it's Feral or Aspyr, you know it's native and you don't need to do anything.

If it's GOG and a game that is older than two years, it is WINE or DosBox.

If it's ported by transgaming, it's Wine, for obvious reasons. If it's published by EA itself, it's also Wine, except for the new SimCity coming out next month.

That should take care of most games. Other than that, you can right-click on "show package contents" of the app and see for yourself.

Ditto what Cougarcat said.

I would also add that as a rule, all Valve games are native along with anything from Blizzard. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.