Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
So I have the iPad 3 and I absolutely love the retina display. I mean, love it so much I often stop for a second just to admire the sharp text. However, the retina display has it's downsides. Firstly, the iPad is way too heavy, and it actually hurts my hands a lot while using it for more than 15 min. Secondly, the apps now are huge, and they each chunk of a large portion of my 64 GB storage. With 45 GB of music and no iTunes Match in my country yet, I'm now really pushing it in terms of capasity.

So my question is, since the iPad mini doesn't have retina, will the apps be smaller in file size? I have about 45 GB of music and 18GB of everything else (OS, apps etc..). Will the latter shrink in size if I buy a mini, so that I can fit in more music?

Bonus question: should I buy a mini? (remember how much I love retina)

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
As for size, I don't think there will be much of a difference. There are some cases where there are HD apps for Retina, but I think most just have the Retina images scaled down for the different resolution. As for screen quality, you will notice a difference. It's one of those things where no matter how much anyone types and how specific you are, you still have to see and use the device to get a feel for the screen.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have the iPad 3 and now the iPad Mini; they complement each other very nicely, as both are the same configuration and the same capacity so that when I leave the house with the iPad Mini in hand I can still do stuff on it that I would with my iPad 3 back at home. I also have the iPad 2, which I was using as a sort of backup to the iPad 3, but now it will soon be on its way to a new home.

As for the retina display, yes, I love it on my iPhone 5 and on my iPad 3, but I have to say I don't really miss it all that much on the iPad Mini, although of course it would've been nice to have. I am happy with the iPad Mini's size and weight and if that meant that right now, this year we couldn't have a retina screen as part of that package, so be it. I'd rather have the iPad Mini they brought us than nothing at all. It's a gorgeous and useful little device just the way it is and I love it!

Can't really answer the question about differences in file sizes but because the iPad Mini does not have the Retina screen and because it has a different processor, yes, there will be a slight difference in the amount of space used up on it vs an iPad 3 or iPad 4. I have my two devices set up pretty much identically and the Mini uses somewhat less space than the iPad 3 for what that's worth. I also have them both filled with my entire iTunes music library and all my apps but have limited them as far as movies; if I were to be planning a long trip where I'd want to be watching a few movies on the way, then I'd whack out some stuff (some music, some apps) from one device and put a few movies on it for the purposes of the journey while retaining the music and apps on the other device. The new iPad Mini is so small that unless one is really restricted in terms of luggage, carry-on and such, that one could easily take a Mini AND a full-sized iPad along on a journey and just leave a heavier, bulkier laptop at home.

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I thought the whole thing was apps would be the same size regardless if you are on a Retina device or not?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I thought the whole thing was apps would be the same size regardless if you are on a Retina device or not?

I think so, because apps on my Ipad 2 frequently asked for update for Retina display suitable and my Ipad dont even have retina. Such a waste of space. I ended up play less game and focus on browsing and video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.