Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Adster3000
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 loose connector

The lightening power connector is loose and drops the charge if moved, even slightly, while plugged in. It was working fine, and one day this started happening, no physical trauma occurred to the device or connector. Is anyone else having issues with a loose connection (lightening into the phone, not the USB or plug side)?
Adster3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 01:40 PM   #2
fredsarran
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to fredsarran Send a message via AIM to fredsarran Send a message via MSN to fredsarran Send a message via Yahoo to fredsarran Send a message via Skype™ to fredsarran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adster3000 View Post
The lightening power connector is loose and drops the charge if moved, even slightly, while plugged in. It was working fine, and one day this started happening, no physical trauma occurred to the device or connector. Is anyone else having issues with a loose connection (lightening into the phone, not the USB or plug side)?
Hi,

Yea exact same issue here. Did you bring it to the Apple Store and inquired about it?
Old May 25, 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
lylemo
Contributor

Loose iPhone 5 lightning connector

The original post for this thread is a bit old, but the "cure" is simple and relevant, thanks to:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1512868. The last 2 posts of that thread (itsmemuffins & Skika) provided the means. A light touch with a paper clip did it for me...gobs of fuzzy stuff came out...now all is well.

Last edited by lylemo; May 25, 2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added words
lylemo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 05:38 AM   #4
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a

Should be a nice snug fit. If its not, then look inside for anything blocking the connector from properly being inserted.
MrMacMack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:08 AM   #5
lylemo
Contributor

I agree...once the fuzz blockage was removed, the snug fit returned.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:43 AM   #6
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMack View Post
Should be a nice snug fit. If its not, then look inside for anything blocking the connector from properly being inserted.
i am also having the same issue...would try this as soon as possible.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a

Kinda strange. To me, it would seem more likely for the old style connector to get clogged with debris compared to the new lightning connector.
MrMacMack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 06:33 PM   #8
lylemo
Contributor

Fuzzy physics?

Okay, people, we do need to keep our sense of humor through this deep discussion. For those of us with fuzzy pockets, we are apt to face this loose connector problem several times in the future, so we must be vigilant to the factors involved here. A serious consultant (most consultants are very serious!) has an opinion concerning the likelihood of a fuzz-induced “crisis”, namely, that the older 30-pin connector has all those “fins” slicing the fuzz into very small pieces (“microscopic fuzzlets”). This makes it less likely that the fuzz will accumulate and block the connection. The lightning connector works like a plunger...it progressively compacts the accumulating fuzz into the single opening. Eventually the connection is compromised. This is apparently what happened in my situation. So, perhaps we can call this "fuzzy physics", as contrasted with "fuzzy math"...but that’s another problem. The irony is that the original post in this thread was written 6 months ago, and we don’t know if Adster3000 found a solution. Did Adster3000 have fuzzy pockets like me? Hmmm...a conundrum. Okay...I’ll stop now.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:06 PM   #9
codyst
macrumors regular

Is it the plug that is messed up or the phone connector?
codyst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:16 PM   #10
alice04
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMack View Post
Yep2! This is true, it happened to me with my iP4s before and I was soooo mad with the loose connector not knowing that there's some dusts blocking it. Just check the plug again before you contact apple
alice04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 06:28 AM   #11
lylemo
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyst View Post
Is it the plug that is messed up or the phone connector?
Probably neither the plug or connector are defective. The problem can occur when the plug progressively compacts fuzz into the device's receptacle to such a point that the connection is intermittent or lost. IF fuzz is the problem, just gently clean it out.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting