Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:31 PM   #1
harddriveowner
macrumors member

Ripping DVD's in Lion

With Lion Macthe Ripper is no longer an option. Have purchased DVDFab. It is totally worthless. Is there anyhting good out there for Lion for ripping commerical DVD's?
harddriveowner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:32 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

RipIt? Mac DVD Ripper Pro?
How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format in Mac OS X.

Last edited by simsaladimbamba; Jan 18, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: removed second link, as it confuses people, I guess - motherfrakking *****
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
harddriveowner
macrumors member

Compared to Mac the Ripper this is real work. There must be an easier way.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:56 PM   #4
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by harddriveowner View Post
With Lion Macthe Ripper is no longer an option. Have purchased DVDFab. It is totally worthless. Is there anyhting good out there for Lion for ripping commerical DVD's?
What do you find wrong with DVDFab? I've never had a DVD that wouldn't rip with the Windows version, except for a DVD that had a bad scratch on it. The Mac version of DVDFab was able to rip that scratched DVD ... but the video on the scratched section was corrupt and there are errors and artifacts.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:58 PM   #5
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Compared to Mac the Ripper this is real work. There must be an easier way.
MacTheRipper just ripped the video DVD, there was nothing more it did.
Do you just want to rip the video DVD and store the resulting VIDEO_TS folder with its .vob files or do you want to have a nice .mp4/.m4v or .mkv file?
If it is the former, you can use the applications linked to under the ripper section of that first link.
If you want to have the compressed file, use HandBrake and VLC Player as described in the first link.

I forgot to remove the second link, so don't let that link intimidate you, if that is what you refer to with "real work". Or you can be more specific what you actually mean, as guessing gets tiresome.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:41 PM   #6
malachiman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
If you want to have the compressed file, use HandBrake and VLC Player as described in the first link.

+1 for Handbrake, its excellent.
malachiman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:47 PM   #7
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

MakeMKV is ideal is you just want the main movie in a single file (mkv) without any quality loss. You can then run the mv through handbrake if you want something compatible with iOS devices (though you can normally encode a DVD direct from HB, unless it has insane copy protection).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Tortri
macrumors 6502a

Handbrake here too
Tortri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:15 PM   #9
harddriveowner
macrumors member

Handbrake is great for iOS devices. Most of the world is still using DVD players. Mac The Ripper would would quickly rip the DVD and then it could be recreated with Popcorn or Toast.
I won DVD Fab. It is worthless and if you monitor its own forums, my opinion is common. There mist be a similar program to MTR for Lion.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #10
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Handbrake is great for iOS devices. Most of the world is still using DVD players. Mac The Ripper would would quickly rip the DVD and then it could be recreated with Popcorn or Toast.
I won DVD Fab. It is worthless and if you monitor its own forums, my opinion is common. There mist be a similar program to MTR for Lion.
I still don't understand your frustration with DVDFab, but alas, I'm only using it for the DVD copy function. It rips a VIDEO_TS folder just like MTR would. Do the other features of DVDFab suck? I only used MTR up to 2.6.6, so I'm not sure what other features MTR had in newer releases. Did MTR also burn DVDs?

Perhaps if you just use the ripping feature on DVDFab, then use a second app to burn a DVD. Toast still works with Lion, right?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:06 PM   #11

I've used RipIt since Lion was released with no problems.
184550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:16 AM   #12
mapledress
macrumors regular

Sorry to see this, I have never used DVDFab before, I bought leawo DVD Ripper for Mac last year and have used it for almost one year. It is useful. With this program, enjoy my favorite dvd on iPhone is easy. So you can have a try.

Note: Try the free version first if you are going to buy it.
mapledress is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 05:56 PM   #13
ksmythia
macrumors newbie

mpeg streamclip and missing component

I'm having a hard time getting mpeg streamclip downloaded. I have read all the notes on the squared 5 page and it's still not working. I have mountain lion and it says I need the original dmg file and not the package that downloads. Has anyone had luck with this?
ksmythia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:03 PM   #14
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmythia View Post
I'm having a hard time getting mpeg streamclip downloaded. I have read all the notes on the squared 5 page and it's still not working. I have mountain lion and it says I need the original dmg file and not the package that downloads. Has anyone had luck with this?
What do you want to accomplish with the video DVD footage and what components exactly do you fail to download with what browser?

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video