Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:22 PM   #1
macjacks
Banned

Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse no design change?

The keyboard and mouse that come with the new iMac will be the same as the old ones right?

I was expecting them to be rechargable and thinner.
macjacks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:24 AM   #2
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjacks View Post
The keyboard and mouse that come with the new iMac will be the same as the old ones right?

Yeah they're the same. I was hoping for the same thing, but I'm sure we'll see some slight changes next fall with the 2013 iMacs.
alksion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:29 AM   #3
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

What do people find is the best method for keeping your Keyboard or Mouse powered, do you use apple's battery charger or are duracel or energizer's rechargeable battery things just as good (and cheaper)?
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:03 AM   #4
Caromsoft
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfunkt View Post
What do people find is the best method for keeping your Keyboard or Mouse powered, do you use apple's battery charger or are duracel or energizer's rechargeable battery things just as good (and cheaper)?
Eneloops!
Caromsoft is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:06 AM   #5
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caromsoft View Post
Eneloops!
Definitely Eneloops. Consistent high quality. Duracell and Energizer vary a lot from batch to batch, and a significant percentage of them don't age well. The higher the capacity, the worse they seem to hold up.

Eneloops don't have quite as much capacity, but the minuscule self-discharge makes up for it in most applications.
MeFromHere is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:18 AM   #6
washburn
macrumors 6502

Yeah there was a new Apple patent this year for a new type of key press tech can't seem to find it right now.
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:23 AM   #7
intz2nu
macrumors regular

I leave my Apple Wireless Keyboard on 24/7-365 and NEVER turn it off EVER! been this way with 2 2010 iMacs I've had for over year or so and probably only ever needed to change the batteries maybe once or twice out of a year for the keyboard. I wish the same could be said for my mice. I leave it on 24/7-365 as I do with the keyboard but probably need to change out batteries at least 6 or 8 times out of a year. The batteries I'm using is regular off the shelf Duracels, though sometimes I do use the Pink Bunnies. How long does Eneloop batteries last?

----------

Quote:

I honestly don't mind the current design, though I guess thinner could be better? I dunno not too sure. But I know what would be a plus in a new keyboard for the iMacs would be if Apple made it back-lit as they've done with their Notebook line
intz2nu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:24 AM   #8
washburn
macrumors 6502

Wait a minute will I have to get batteries for kbd/mouse doesn't it come with the imac?
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:28 AM   #9
Julio86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
Wait a minute will I have to get batteries for kbd/mouse doesn't it come with the imac?
This
Julio86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:31 AM   #10
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I don't think the mouse need to get thinner; if I'm not using the touch pad I prefer a mouse which fits roughly into my hand.
Keyboard is also ok for me; a but hub is also required to get a good feeling while typing.

I think Apple should put all design and engineering into the big topics: Mac Pro, Mini Retina, big Apple TV.

As for the energy: I use always Eneloop; for keyboard, mouse, toys, Canon Flash. Just the best experience.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:48 AM   #11
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
Every new iMac I've dealt with included batteries for the keyboard and mouse. Just basic no-name alkaline batteries.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Kev.LoveMac
macrumors member

Quote:

It is already a very beautiful design.
Kev.LoveMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:54 AM   #13
liudekhua
macrumors newbie

Quote:
do you use apple's battery charger or are duracel or energizer's rechargeable battery things just as good (and cheaper)?
apple's rechargeable batteries are the same as sanyo's eneloop. apple just rebrands them. go for eneloop if you want quality at a lower price.
liudekhua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:07 AM   #14
iAll
macrumors member

I've had my iMac 21.5 for well over a year and it came with the Mighty Mouse and wireless keypad. I tried the trackpad for a brief stint, but found it to be too cumbersome and it seemed to lack real feel control. The mouse I replaced with a wired logitech because there was no way to keep the MM from gulping down batteries unless you were extremely consistent about shutting it off after each use. The wireless keyboard however, continues to be a real trooper and is very efficient with battery consumption. I believe it shuts itself off and has never missed a beat.
iAll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:23 AM   #15
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.LoveMac View Post
It is already a very beautiful design.
I was hoping they would add a full keyboard wireless version. I guess I'm old fashioned in that I still use the keypad!
azentropy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:32 AM   #16
Kev.LoveMac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
I was hoping they would add a full keyboard wireless version. I guess I'm old fashioned in that I still use the keypad!
It does becomes better if it is a full keyboard with wireless. However apple just wants everything to be simple.
Kev.LoveMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Caromsoft
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intz2nu View Post
How long does Eneloop batteries last?
The Eneloops in the keyboard last well over six months, I change them so infrequently I don't really know. In the Magic Mouse, which I use all day everyday they last four weeks or so. I have a couple of spares charged and ready so it only takes a minute to change them.
Caromsoft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:11 PM   #18
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by liudekhua View Post
apple's rechargeable batteries are the same as sanyo's eneloop. apple just rebrands them. go for eneloop if you want quality at a lower price.
Thanks guys, let me just check is this what I should be buying?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-Eneloo...4129826&sr=8-1

In my ignorance I'd never heard of eneloops before.
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:20 PM   #19
akatsuki
macrumors regular

I'd have liked inductive charging and a full wireless keyboard or an integrated magic trackpad keyboard. The Mobee solution just didn't work for me.
akatsuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:26 PM   #20
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

I will be tossing these on craigslist as soon as I get them. I much rather perfer a keyboard/mouse with some options for gaming and extreme computing tasks(mostly gaming lol).

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:39 PM   #21
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

I figured they'd make it even thinner... now the iMac (on the edges) is just about as thin as the keyboard... maybe a laser keyboard should project out of the apple logo onto the desk and integrate a leap motion sensor in the front of the stand in place of the mouse (actually I hope they never do anything like that).
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:45 PM   #22
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks guys, let me just check is this what I should be buying?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-Eneloo...4129826&sr=8-1

In my ignorance I'd never heard of eneloops before.
Those are the Eneloops that I use.

I don't know if the charger is good or bad. The best chargers charge each battery independently. If they only charge pairs of batteries, the weaker battery tends to be overcharged a bit each time, which makes it progressively worse each time.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:15 PM   #23
macjacks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by intz2nu View Post

I honestly don't mind the current design, though I guess thinner could be better? I dunno not too sure. But I know what would be a plus in a new keyboard for the iMacs would be if Apple made it back-lit as they've done with their Notebook line
I was joking about being thinner, but definitely would like it to be rechargeable.
macjacks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac