Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I use my phone more than my computer, and when I use the computer I notice a lot of missing features. When will computers catch-up?

- Notification light. I'd like this on my laptop.
- Trusted wifi unlock. I'd love my computer to not ask for my password when on a trusted wifi network
- SIM card. Why can't my laptop join a 3G/4G network?!
- What's App. Desktop version please!

Better still, when is there going to be a genuine alternative to Windows and OSX? How come phones have 4 or 5 different systems to choose from but when it comes to computers I have just 2?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
How come phones have 4 or 5 different systems to choose from but when it comes to computers I have just 2?

The smartphone market has yet to mature. As time passes, probably only two or three smartphone OSs will survive this decade.

On the other stuff-
A notification light would be welcome, but isn't really needed.
I'm a big no for wifi unlock.
You can get 3G on laptops today.
Download Bluestacks. Its an Android App emulator.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
It seems like Apple has been moving towards a closer integration between ios and osx the past few years so maybe down the road all those features will be available on macs.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Already happening. The first Android desktops are coming out now. Ask and ye shall receive.

----------

I use my phone more than my computer, and when I use the computer I notice a lot of missing features. When will computers catch-up?

- Notification light. I'd like this on my laptop.
- Trusted wifi unlock. I'd love my computer to not ask for my password when on a trusted wifi network
- SIM card. Why can't my laptop join a 3G/4G network?!
- What's App. Desktop version please!

Better still, when is there going to be a genuine alternative to Windows and OSX? How come phones have 4 or 5 different systems to choose from but when it comes to computers I have just 2?
You forgot about Ubuntu and Linux.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
You forgot about Ubuntu and Linux.

They're not particularly user-friendly with a range of software. By genuine alternative I meant something the average computer user could consider.

----------

Already happening. The first Android desktops are coming out now.

Really?! This is kind of what I want. Where have you heard this?

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
They're not particularly user-friendly with a range of software. By genuine alternative I meant something the average computer user could consider.

----------

Really?! This is kind of what I want. Where have you heard this?

Been all over all the tech blogs. I think it was Acer or Asus putting it out. Something like $400 for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.