Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
It seems like the key to securing an iPhone on launch day is knowing what to expect. My situation has changed this cycle in that I will be ordering a Verizon model as a new subscriber (I'm going to cancel my AT&T account and pay the ETF).

Can someone who has done this in the past explain (in as much detail as possible) the online process (apple.com or Verizon.com) for buying iPhones at launch as a new subscriber?

To make this even more confusing, I'll be trying to get two, one for me and one for my wife, and sign us up for a family share plan (a 16GB slate and a 16GB gold). She wants her old number ported if possible, whereas I don't really care.

Thanks for any info you can provide...

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Anyone? I'm just curious how smooth the process is as a new subscriber versus an upgrader. Does it run a credit check and ask for your social? Is there an opportunity to sign up for a family share plan and purchase 2 devices on the same order? How does porting a number work (do you have to have already cancelled the old account with the other company)?

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Anyone? I'm just curious how smooth the process is as a new subscriber versus an upgrader. Does it run a credit check and ask for your social? Is there an opportunity to sign up for a family share plan and purchase 2 devices on the same order? How does porting a number work (do you have to have already cancelled the old account with the other company)?

When signing up for a new account they ask for your social and do a credit check (this is with AT&T, but I'm pretty sure they all do it). Porting a number on launch day is a bad idea -- everyones systems are usually maxed out that day and it never goes smoothly. A family member tried to do that a few years ago and it took a few days to get it finished, and by then they were out of iPhones.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

As to your first questions, why not do a mock preorder for a 5c and see what it asks? Credit check wouldn't be done until you submit the order, but it'd be useful to see if Apple.com handled family plans.

Don't cancel your old account - the porting will enact the cancel when it goes through.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Thank you both for the info. Good idea about doing a mock pre-order of the 5C to check out the process, going to try that now. Yeah I think that's a good call on not attempting to port numbers. Also, I know we are eligible for a discount in our area because of where I'm a student, but I won't worry about that until after the fact.

I was going to have my wife order her phone while I order my phone at 12:01pst to try and save time, but I'm guessing since we want a family plan with both phones, it's going to have to be a single order. I wish there was a way to do the credit check portion in advance just so I would know for sure there wouldn't be any issues (depending on whether I do it in my name or my wife's name)...

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I was going to have my wife order her phone while I order my phone at 12:01pst to try and save time, but I'm guessing since we want a family plan with both phones, it's going to have to be a single order.

With AT&T at least, you ought to be able to order two new individual plans and then later on go to a corporate store and combine them to a single family plan.

I'd recommend calling AT&T and double checking my recollection on this before making a commitment though. I

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.