Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Thinness is becoming very overrated. It's a great engineering feat but seems like the key selling point of every iDevice is now, look it's thinner

Yeah, I agree with you... However APPLE isn’t going to go and chuck a big microSD slot in there when they’ve spent so much effort on making it so thin. It doesn’t make sense.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Yeah, I agree with you... However APPLE isn’t going to go and chuck a big microSD slot in there when they’ve spent so much effort on making it so thin. It doesn’t make sense.

Yeah I agree. That plus cloud storage is supposed to be the way of the future

Then again you can't store your files on iCloud so I don't really get their strategy here

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
With internet access 24/7 and almost everywhere.... it have not crossed my mind. Next time i find myself on the top of mount Everest with a pile of files to transfer to my iOS device, i may just give it a try and see if it can work.

I agree that Internet access is 24/7 and almost everywhere, except for where I work. My office is little more than a glorified dungeon (I am not exaggerating) with no wifi, very poor cellular reception, and a computer my employer won't allow iTunes on. I see an iPad as something very valuable in my practice to show things to clients in exam rooms. However, I am unable to transfer any files to my iPad to do this. If you can help with this I would appreciate it, instead of giving me useless responses.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I agree that Internet access is 24/7 and almost everywhere, except for where I work. My office is little more than a glorified dungeon (I am not exaggerating) with no wifi, very poor cellular reception, and a computer my employer won't allow iTunes on. I see an iPad as something very valuable in my practice to show things to clients in exam rooms. However, I am unable to transfer any files to my iPad to do this. If you can help with this I would appreciate it, instead of giving me useless responses.

Ok, sorry.... my response wasn't nice. The point am trying to make is that i can do without USB port pretty much anything others can do with USB ports on their tables, regardless of how I do it. They do it through a wire and i do it wirelessly through the internet. I was responding to the initial comment about the lack of USB port just to lock the consumer in which is not entirely the case. We all know Apple doesn't like it's iOS devices with countless holes like some other tablets.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012

You dont need to wait it from Apple. Just bought for 100 euro a very nice gadget - http://www.digitus.info/en/products/network/150mbps-wireless-lan-series/private-cloud-drive-dn-7025/

It supports any type of SD-cards as well any other external USB storage devices. Even with 16GB iPad you can have a dozens of SD-cards with your photos, movies e.t.c.and with very easy access from any mobile device, even on the go. Plus it works as Internet Bridge and WiFi extender. For only 100 euro. Who need 128 GB iPad then?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
It is? :rolleyes:

Check me off on "LOL" with that one.

A joke... why a joke? The fact that I can increase my storage space by adding an affordable little card is a joke? C'mon, bro.

:rolleyes:

Even though this ball can sway either way, I'd argue the exact opposite... not to be stubborn and refute what you have to say, but simply based on what I've seen. Most iOS users I know bought their device simply because they felt like they were getting the best thing out there. It's no secret that while iOS devices can fill the needs of more advanced individuals, the devices are made and designed for the simple minded. I wouldn't conclude this as a fact of life that people are buying an iPhone because they know exactly what it can do and know it'll do everything that they need to at work, but instead, they bought the iPhone because they had no clue alternatives existed and thought this was the end all/be all of phones.

Nailed it.

1. You cannot get what Apple offers from anyone else. Quality of device + Flash storage options + Price. No one comes close. In the low end 16 & 32, possibly, but 64, 128, 256, 512, & 768 there is no comparison.

2. SD Cards have no business in an iOS device. Go get an AirStash and use it, if you need a more tangible idea of what the SD card experience would be like. Non integrated, Apps would never "Save To" the SD, they'd be Read-Only. So your loading content onto the SD card (Presumably from a computer which most iPad owners won't even have!), and then popping it in to your iPad, to access that content from some Safari or another generic file browser, and viewing your files or music or movies, outside of the dedicated apps that are intended for this.

The best way to describe an SD card on the iPad would be if the Finder in list view + Quick Look were the extent of your usability.

3. Regarding Android, I think what you mean to say is that there are a lot of People who buy idevices because they're cool. The people who actually buy android devices have no idea what they are doing. I make every android user I meet explain to me why they have an android device and not one of them can come up with a reason that makes any sense. They also don't use the devices for anything but the most basic, general phone/tablet tasks.

roasted

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
1. You cannot get what Apple offers from anyone else. Quality of device + Flash storage options + Price. No one comes close. In the low end 16 & 32, possibly, but 64, 128, 256, 512, & 768 there is no comparison.

2. SD Cards have no business in an iOS device. Go get an AirStash and use it, if you need a more tangible idea of what the SD card experience would be like. Non integrated, Apps would never "Save To" the SD, they'd be Read-Only. So your loading content onto the SD card (Presumably from a computer which most iPad owners won't even have!), and then popping it in to your iPad, to access that content from some Safari or another generic file browser, and viewing your files or music or movies, outside of the dedicated apps that are intended for this.

The best way to describe an SD card on the iPad would be if the Finder in list view + Quick Look were the extent of your usability.

3. Regarding Android, I think what you mean to say is that there are a lot of People who buy idevices because they're cool. The people who actually buy android devices have no idea what they are doing. I make every android user I meet explain to me why they have an android device and not one of them can come up with a reason that makes any sense. They also don't use the devices for anything but the most basic, general phone/tablet tasks.

:rolleyes:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

1. Storage is expensive because 512GB SSD costs $400 nowadays .. Sure sure bro, whatever suits you :rolleyes:

2. You only says so because Apple said so. If next iPad have SDcard slot you're gonna change your tune. Yep 12 years old do that.

3. So please enlighten us what do you do with your holy cool ipad and iphone? Text and calls GOD or Saint Steve HIMself? Sure Androids can't do that, huh?

----------

1. Storage is expensive because 512GB SSD costs $400 nowadays .. Sure sure bro, whatever suits you :rolleyes:

2. You only says so because Apple said so. If next iPad have SDcard slot you're gonna change your tune. Yep 12 years old do that.

3. So please enlighten us what do you do with your holy cool ipad and iphone? Text and calls GOD or Saint Steve HIMself? Sure Androids can't do that, huh?

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
A 128GB option would be a nice fit with iOS 7 giving us a desktop option along with more flexibility to open/run/store/ files much easier.
It's always been something I've been a bit jealous to see on Android phones and that's about it :)

Exactly, what is a "desktop option" ?

Have you seen the option where some Android phones allow you to output an HDMI signal to a HDTV/Monitor and operate the phone like it's a desktop computer? It's a very impressive feature. You can store and access files and documents on your phone and view them on a desktop interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.