Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
No its actually because iOS does it better, jailbreak voids your warranty but you can remove the jailbreak and your warranty is "unvoided" and actually everything i listed you can do on a jailbroken iPhone. So now i have all those features on the most stable, secure mobile OS out there with the best app store

I have a iPhone because its the most polished and stable OS out there, it has the best support and the best app store by far, and i love the hardware/software combination of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6, nothing in the industry comes close to that tandem.

Im not riding Apple because im a bandwagoner, i ride Apple because their products are great and look and feel beautiful too

Fact of the matter is.. you still have to jailbreak to get most of the function android has.. or iOS lacks

Why can't apple just include what "users" want, I'm pretty sure that if jailbreaking didn't exist.. you would consider android as a gimmick OS

Since Ice cream sandwich, android has been nothing but stable, Apple fan boys can't keep calling it unstable and not look like idiots

And as an advocate for both os's.. Apps on the iphone crash and burn just as much as androids does.. sick of hearing apple has superior apps as well

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
And as an advocate for both os's.. Apps on the iphone crash and burn just as much as androids does.. sick of hearing apple has superior apps as well
I'm a user of both but can't agree with that. I've found iOS far more stable in terms of OS and app crashes. My S3 used to lag and restart itself every couple of weeks if it hadn't been powered off. Apps also used to close down (especially Facebook) and ask me if I wanted to send an error report. That got a bit annoying and its not something I have encountered on iOS as a regularity. Perhaps I was unlucky post Ice Cream Sandwich release I don't know, but I used it across two devices, one HTC and one Samsung.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm a user of both but can't agree with that. I've found iOS far more stable in terms of OS and app crashes. My S3 used to lag and restart itself every couple of weeks if it hadn't been powered off. Apps also used to close down (especially Facebook) and ask me if I wanted to send an error report. That got a bit annoying and its not something I have encountered on iOS as a regularity. Perhaps I was unlucky post Ice Cream Sandwich release I don't know, but I used it across two devices, one HTC and one Samsung.

I beg to differ.. it's about the same, if not.. a little less than android

I know one thing, I wished I never updated to 6.1, 6.0 was sooo smooth

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
In the last 6 months I have personally seen 6 people I know switch from Android (various models admittedly, but at least 3 were SGS3's) to an iPhone (mostly 5's).

None have switched back.

I also have a good friend who decided the iPhone wasn't bleeding edge enough and got a launch day Note2 instead. He has since switched back to a 5.

Is it scientific? By no means, but it's definitely interesting. Everyone is free to have their preference, but I truly believe that if you gave the AVERAGE user (you know, the ones the companies want to like their phones because they comprise the largest section of $$$$?) a choice, most would choose an iPhone. Take away the off-contract cost difference, eliminate T-Mobile, and remove the people who just hate Apple, and see what happens. If all things were equal, it would probably be even uglier than it already is (the iPhone already destroys any single model of Android... and is gaining on it as a WHOLE).

More people use it, so more developers develop better software for it, and more hardware providers design cooler peripherals for it too. Not just cases either, but docks, connectivity gadgets, and toys. No arguing the iPhone has a lot more "stuff" to get for it if you want. That provides a more complete experience, even if the Android SGS 14 + XT has a few more MB of RAM and a higher resolution screen.

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
No its actually because iOS does it better, jailbreak voids your warranty but you can remove the jailbreak and your warranty is "unvoided" and actually everything i listed you can do on a jailbroken iPhone. So now i have all those features on the most stable, secure mobile OS out there with the best app store

I have a iPhone because its the most polished and stable OS out there, it has the best support and the best app store by far, and i love the hardware/software combination of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6, nothing in the industry comes close to that tandem.

Im not riding Apple because im a bandwagoner, i ride Apple because their products are great and look and feel beautiful too

I see your points. The only reason I'm currently on android is because I love the things that jailbreak allows you to do except I have no idea on how to jailbreak. Instead of spending a lot of money to try to jailbreak a phone, I choose android where I wouldn't risk breaking my device. I'm not technologically savvy on jailbreak/rooting.

I'm glad he iPhone works for you. If one day I learn how to jailbreak than back to the apple store I go. Except that's only if the size of the iPhone's screen becomes bigger :)

Last edited:
Let me ask a question about that. What's important to me is that my files for contacts, bookmarks, pictures, music and most of all my calendar update to my computer, iPad and iPhone. If I am out and get a call I set up an appointment on my phone and it is automatically on all 3 devices. Will an Android phone do that? I am not trying to be critical, I am curious and would like to know. Thanks

OF course it can i do it all the time..i have a Note2 and iphone and ipad..all synced :)

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
its funny, I just had a guy offer me an iphone 5 for my Galaxy s 3 32 gig verizon, to bad I sold it a few weeks ago. I would have totally done the trade, would still use my note 2 as my daily driver though.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I see your points. The only reason I'm currently on android is because I love the things that jailbreak allows you to do except I have no idea on how to jailbreak. Instead of spending a lot of money to try to jailbreak a phone, I choose android where I wouldn't risk breaking my device. I'm not technologically savvy on jailbreak/rooting.

I'm glad he iPhone works for you. If one day I learn how to jailbreak than back to the apple store I go. Except that's only if the size of the iPhone's screen becomes bigger :)

Jailbreaking is incredibly easy, takes less then 5 minutes, and is free. What do you mean?

And if i want to remove the jailbreak i just restore my iPhone on iTunes and then my warranty was never voided

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Jailbreaking is incredibly easy, takes less then 5 minutes, and is free. What do you mean?

And if i want to remove the jailbreak i just restore my iPhone on iTunes and then my warranty was never voided

Jailbreaking the phone itself may be easy, but customizing your iPhone the way you want it via Cydia has a much steeper learning curve (i.e. using Winterboard for the first time-- hell, even knowing what Winterboard does). It's similar to the argument that Android is overly complex. It just takes more effort to personalize a phone, regardless of the operating system.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I really don't see how anybody with a straight face can say the 4S is as good or better than the S3..hell many think the 5 isn't quite as good as the S3.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I think what I find interesting about the OP's original post. Is that it comes across as you pushing your gf to not only buckle to your choice of phone (don't get me wrong, an iPhone is great if you don't like to have to mess around with things or like any sort of customization)by making fun of her choices and dogging her about it, but also being derisive to someone who was willing to part with an OLD phone for a NEW one, and rather than being the sucker you paint the picture of, was someone who was offering fair incentive for new technology over old....

To make matters worse you pushed a piece of old tech on her! I would kick my bf's butt if he tried to hoodwink me like that ;)

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013

What I mean is that I never learned how to jailbreak it so I can only assume that its hard for someone doing it the first time.

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Let me ask a question about that. What's important to me is that my files for contacts, bookmarks, pictures, music and most of all my calendar update to my computer, iPad and iPhone. If I am out and get a call I set up an appointment on my phone and it is automatically on all 3 devices. Will an Android phone do that? I am not trying to be critical, I am curious and would like to know. Thanks

If there is any place to really give kudos to Apple is this, seamless integration between all their products. However, for me, I live in a mixed world. I use Dropbox for Picture/Document syncing and then Google for Contacts and Calender. My Nexus 7, iPhone 5, 2 computers are all sync'd up at all times.

I also would like to point out that the Dropbox app automatically uploads pictures without me needing to open the app on the Android version where on the iOS version I need to open the app before it uploads.

Last edited:

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
I just reactivated my 5 and put the GSIII up on Craigslist. There's nothing wrong with the Galaxy though. Great device. Just have so many other Apple devices that work well together.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I would compare the GS3 and 4S rather than the GS3 vs the 5.

Also as far as apps and stability, yes the iPhone is still more stable than Android even with Jelly Bean. Apps still do not crash as much or freeze up. Not to mention that many of the apps the the OS's share between them, developers usually include more features in the iOS version.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
So my girlfriend who was always pro android decided to hop on the bandwagon and get a iphone.. the real reason she decide to switch up cause I always teased her about the superior battery life and how I can always leave the house without my charger:D and cause my phone last me for about 2 days:cool:

So she wanted to sell her mint Galaxy S3 and add cash to a white iphone 5. I told her no.. you might not like the iphone phone (she will) so I have a better idea. since your contract is over in June and the 5S is so near, why not trade your S3 for a 4S.. she said okay

Found a lacky on craiglist that wanted to trade his mint white 4S for a S3 and he adding cash ($60)

Going to make the transaction at a corporate sprint store.. think it was a good deal.. and a great compromise?

:eek: That's a hell of a good deal.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
as a owner of a galaxy nexus, an iPhone 4S, and my wifes GS3 I have to sincerely say, you have no idea what you're talking about.

by the way my 1 week old iphone 4s has frozen twice and my appstore says too many https redirects. Go figure on your stability.

I think he makes perfect sense. And as far a stability goes, apple wins hands down. Doesn't mean there aren't going to be some bad ones along the way. But overall, it's not even close.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
If there is any place to really give kudos to Apple is this, seamless integration between all their products. However, for me, I live in a mixed world. I use Dropbox for Picture/Document syncing and then Google for Contacts and Calender. My Nexus 7, iPhone 5, 2 computers are all sync'd up at all times.

I also would like to point out that the Dropbox app automatically uploads pictures without me needing to open the app on the Android version where on the iOS version I need to open the app before it uploads.

I would disagree actually. These days with google and the play store android has some pretty great integration. I love play store. I am actually currently without an ios device (that will change when I can find a cheap ipad mini). For me what keeps apple the best is and always will be mac osx. garageband, iphoto, imovie just destroys anything pc's can offer. It's a shame they are turning their back on that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.