Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Sean Dempsey
macrumors 68000

My kid watches youtube video non-stop. How long should a brand new ipod touch last?

I have a son who watches youtube videos until the battery runs dry. I have no idea what to expect from continuous youtube playback with regards to battery life. We seem to be charging it from 0% at least twice a day.

I swear it's draining in 3 hours or so. Will continuous streaming of youtube video just wipe it out fast?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:25 PM   #2
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Peole are Stoll using the same iPod from years ago so I doubt it matters.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:26 PM   #3
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

Son watches 6 hours of youtube a day on that tiny screen? I'd be more worried about his eyesight and not the ipod battery.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie604 View Post
Son watches 6 hours of youtube a day on that tiny screen? I'd be more worried about his eyesight and not the ipod battery.
Kids have better eyesight than us old folks. He'll be fine.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:51 PM   #5
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Have him plugged into the charger while watching.
rgarjr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:07 AM   #6
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
Kids have better eyesight than us old folks. He'll be fine.
its going to get worst in the long run anyway, as a child he shouldn't be on it all the time, at least the tiny screen. Now if he is 15+ years old, well why not lol
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:58 AM   #7
Borntorun
macrumors member

You should be more concerned with your kids social development than your iPods battery life....
Borntorun is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Sean Dempsey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntorun View Post
You should be more concerned with your kids social development than your iPods battery life....
He is significantly mentally disabled and barely can speak. He just has me search for Thomas the train and then just randomly jumps around videos. I am not real concerned, he gets plenty of specialized help/schooling for someone with his low level of ability and plenty of exercise so he doesn't get obese.

I should have reworded the title. I meant to ask how long a battery session should last watching YouTube. Since I guess it's like an iPhone, 2-3 hours of solid Internet streaming is all I can expect.
Sean Dempsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:48 PM   #9
AlyseM
macrumors member

It probably won't last that long. I've never really used my idevices so intensively like that. But if you want it to last longer, or charge faster you can find accessories to help you out.

External Batteries can help extend the life of the device. Or perhaps go with a lightning connector to charge it faster.

To answer your original question here is the iTouch battery life expectancy chart: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1322
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey View Post
He is significantly mentally disabled and barely can speak. He just has me search for Thomas the train and then just randomly jumps around videos. I am not real concerned, he gets plenty of specialized help/schooling for someone with his low level of ability and plenty of exercise so he doesn't get obese.

I should have reworded the title. I meant to ask how long a battery session should last watching YouTube. Since I guess it's like an iPhone, 2-3 hours of solid Internet streaming is all I can expect.
It is nice your son derives some pleasure watching the vids. The info below is from Apple, and says you can expect 400 full charge/discharge cycles.

Like rgarjr mentioned, keepinging it plugged in while he is watching will minimize battery cycles.

Too bad you need to put up with condescending and unsolicited parenting advice while you try get a simple question answered.

Edit: I don't know if your son would like it, but I have a very young nephew who is into Thomas, and he freakin' loves this Thomas the Train game.

Last edited by Weaselboy; Mar 19, 2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added app link
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:33 PM   #11
doug in albq
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntorun View Post
Rather jerk-like response.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch