Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

We're number 27!

So much for being number 1 in the world in terms of our middle-class. The AlterNet article below outlines why and how we fell from number 1 to number 27 among OECD nations.

Big Lie: America Doesn't Have #1 Richest Middle-Class in the World...We're Ranked 27th!
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:34 PM   #2
localoid
macrumors 68020

The American Dream Machine has been running out of gas (both literally and figuratively) since the 1970s...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:56 PM   #3
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
The American Dream Machine has been running out of gas (both literally and figuratively) since the 1970s...
I disagree. I think that American ingenuity hasn't gone anywhere. I think people of every socio-economic level still innovate and hope to improve their lives. I think the biggest change between now and decades ago is that all of the money is once again concentrated in the hands of a few industrialists (to use a term from the era). As a result, if you do innovate, you are bought out in an offer you would be stupid to refuse, but then your idea is swallowed and destroyed by the larger fish who gobbled up your baby. (yes, I'm mixing metaphors. Deal with it).

The other thing that happens is that bigger companies, and to a smaller extent, patent trolls do everything they can to protect their turf and prevent competition.

Finally, if you manage to resist the lure of massive money to sell out, and survive the inevitable litigation, you have to compte with their money. How do you get in front of customers? Advertise? Money. Walmart or any other retailer? MONEY. The system is not designed to have an upstart innovating company succeed, and it is set up that way by the people who are already successful.

Those who have all the money, land, castles have no desire to have to share air with the neveaux riche.
mcrain is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
I disagree. I think that American ingenuity hasn't gone anywhere. ...
American ingenuity may not have gone anywhere but the country's supply of cheap, abundant fossil fuels has continued to diminish since the 1970s. Unfortunately, since that time, there has never been a shortage of people (and corporations) that have fought the transition to renewable energy systems, tooth and nail.

Renewable energy is still viewed by many as the enemy of the middle class and capitalism, when in fact, it's the only thing that will allow humans to sustain either in the future.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:31 AM   #5
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
So much for being number 1 in the world in terms of our middle-class. The AlterNet article below outlines why and how we fell from number 1 to number 27 among OECD nations.

Big Lie: America Doesn't Have #1 Richest Middle-Class in the World...We're Ranked 27th!
Are there actually people who think the middle class in the U.S. is doing well? "Occupy Wall Street", "We are the 99%", etc. It find it a little hard to figure out what the units of the above graph are, but, I find this one pretty clear. Middle class (and lower) income hasn't budged much since 1970, while the rich keep getting richer. But, you knew that already, surely:

jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues