Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 8, 2014, 08:32 AM   #276
petvas
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas
I like DropBox a lot and I have more than 100GB on it, but as soon as iCloud drive becomes available, I am switching to it. Hopefully Apple doesn't blow it with iCloud drive.
The level of integration is what I want to have and the 100 I am paying for Dropbox now will get me a lot more iCloud storage.
iCloud drive will also be available on Windows, so cross platform compatibility is also covered, in the rare case I need to work on a Windows computer...
All of the apps I use save their data on iCloud, or have the option to do so, and I have no app that works only with Dropbox.
After watching the WWDC keynote one thing was clear to me: The Apple ecosystem will get even stronger, much stronger than before. I don't see me getting out of it in the next 10 years...
__________________
iMac 27" (Late 2013 - 3,2Ghz i5 CPU, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD); Retina Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2013, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iPad Air Cellular 64GB white/silver; iPhone 5S 32GB Grey;
petvas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 08:17 PM   #277
viizi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
I like DropBox a lot and I have more than 100GB on it, but as soon as iCloud drive becomes available, I am switching to it. Hopefully Apple doesn't blow it with iCloud drive.
The level of integration is what I want to have and the 100 I am paying for Dropbox now will get me a lot more iCloud storage.
iCloud drive will also be available on Windows, so cross platform compatibility is also covered, in the rare case I need to work on a Windows computer...
All of the apps I use save their data on iCloud, or have the option to do so, and I have no app that works only with Dropbox.
After watching the WWDC keynote one thing was clear to me: The Apple ecosystem will get even stronger, much stronger than before. I don't see me getting out of it in the next 10 years...
yep, I am the same. Current Dropbox user. Tried out others and just can't leave DB. After seeing the keynote though for such a small price and Apple integration I will likely move to iCloud. Finally iCloud is useful!
viizi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:01 AM   #278
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
I like DropBox a lot and I have more than 100GB on it, but as soon as iCloud drive becomes available, I am switching to it. Hopefully Apple doesn't blow it with iCloud drive.
I'm hoping it won't be a repeat of the iDrive which was painfully slow. For my needs, I have 145GB of OneDrive storage and that's more then enough for me. (25GB free, 20 Office 365 and 100 from bing rewards) I know OneDrive is not for everyone but I like it and it works for me.

Sadly Apple's apps that compete with Office are not up to snuff, they lack the features so adding an increased integration of iCloud does not help me since the actual apps fail to satisfy my needs.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 06:08 AM   #279
petvas
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I'm hoping it won't be a repeat of the iDrive which was painfully slow. For my needs, I have 145GB of OneDrive storage and that's more then enough for me. (25GB free, 20 Office 365 and 100 from bing rewards) I know OneDrive is not for everyone but I like it and it works for me.

Sadly Apple's apps that compete with Office are not up to snuff, they lack the features so adding an increased integration of iCloud does not help me since the actual apps fail to satisfy my needs.
Yes, I remember that. It was really slow and unusable. In the developer preview of Yosemite it works fast, but it's too early to say of course.
__________________
iMac 27" (Late 2013 - 3,2Ghz i5 CPU, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD); Retina Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2013, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iPad Air Cellular 64GB white/silver; iPhone 5S 32GB Grey;
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:27 AM   #280
sprezz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viizi View Post
yep, I am the same. Current Dropbox user. Tried out others and just can't leave DB. After seeing the keynote though for such a small price and Apple integration I will likely move to iCloud. Finally iCloud is useful!
it also seems to not be such a pain in the neck for developers like myself...
__________________
Creator of Shadow Stream - The Mac App that automatically makes secure back-up versions of any document or folder you change.
http://serpico.ch/Shadow-Stream
sprezz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:34 AM   #281
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
Yes, I remember that. It was really slow and unusable. In the developer preview of Yosemite it works fast, but it's too early to say of course.
I don't have Yosemite installed, so I can't judge who well it is. Time will tell in how well it stacks up against Dropbox, google and Microsoft. I wonder if it will be as useful as the others for non apple apps/data.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:58 AM   #282
sergiobaschi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm thinking of buying a WD My Cloud drive to replace my current 4 TB HDD that's connected to a Time Capsule.

I suppose I will be able to stream movies from the My Cloud drive to my iPad/iPhone using a DLNA-app, or is this a faulty conclusion?

(And as many of you have already stated, when Yosemite arrives, I'll move my 100 GB Dropbox account to Cupertino land instead...)
__________________
27"/i7/32/680/1FD (2012), 13"/i7/16/512 rMBP (2013), 13"/i5/8/500 cMBP (2012), iPad mini 16GB Wifi (2013), iPhone 5/16 (2012), TimeCapsule 2TB ac+AirportExtreme n w/4TB.
sergiobaschi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:21 AM   #283
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiobaschi View Post
I'm thinking of buying a WD My Cloud drive to replace my current 4 TB HDD that's connected to a Time Capsule.

I suppose I will be able to stream movies from the My Cloud drive to my iPad/iPhone using a DLNA-app, or is this a faulty conclusion?

(And as many of you have already stated, when Yosemite arrives, I'll move my 100 GB Dropbox account to Cupertino land instead...)
Yes, you can.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cloud storage vs more in-phone storage? (64gb) ThereGoesJB iPhone 18 Sep 12, 2013 02:05 PM
Who uses Dropbox for music in the cloud? Errk! iPhone 15 Jan 24, 2013 01:47 AM
An app to consolidate FREE storage in cloud apps? (dropbox, Sugarsyc, etc) Mad Mac Maniac iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Jul 9, 2012 04:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC