Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dskgolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2012
I must apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong place, or if there is already a forum for this kind of thing.
iOS 5.1.1 was released yesterday, and I want to update my jailbroken iPod touch 4 with 5.1 currently installed. (I'm fine with losing the jailbreak, I just like having the latest version available) On my iPod I go into settings > General > Software Update and tap "download and install." It downloads the update, then gets about halfway through preparing the update before telling me "software update failed" "an error occurred downloading iOS 5.1.1." then gives me the option to close or go to settings.
How can I get the update to install OTA? I have already reset the network settings, rebooted it, and changed the DNS (multiple times). (I also can't figure out how to upload a screenshot with the message, if/when I figure it out i'll put one of the error on here)

dskgolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2012
Screenshot

Changed computers that I am using, lets me put the screenshot up now

Attachments

• IMG_0069[1].png
    IMG_0069[1].png
    266.9 KB · Views: 161

IJewFish

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
I think that you can't update a jailbroken device threw settings, you have to use iTunes ...

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I think that you can't update a jailbroken device threw settings, you have to use iTunes ...

Even then, you have to restore your iDevice by right clicking Restore and then selecting the ispw. of iOS you are currently running and then restore from back up. Then you can use iTunes or OTA to update your iDevice :):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.