Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I can't reach the top left corner on my Galaxy S3 or Nexus 4 so I don't put any apps there. The keyboard when revealed is near the bottom of the phone where I can reach all characters with my thumb if needed. It seems to me that all those claiming that a device is not useable one handed think that all its functions are crammed into the top left corner, I agree there is difficulty with the larger phones but not nearly as difficult as some make out.

I prefer using two hands BTW.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Galaxy Note 2 has slid into first place as far as being the best mobile device I have ever used. Curved edges FTW as far as comfort.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
Phones with screens larger than 4.7 are uneccessary if you have high enough screen resolution.

I sold my Galalaxy Note 1 for the Nexus 4 and although the Nexus 4 has a smaller screen it performs better because of the higher screen resolution.

Also, once you get larger than the Nexus 4 then you start to find it becomes unwieldy to handle and difficult to carry around except in a bag or jacket pocket.

So my advice is to stop looking at phablets and focus on full hd screens below 5 inches.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Phones with screens larger than 4.7 are uneccessary if you have high enough screen resolution.

Can't follow that argument. Some people like to have a physical bigger screen to look at, it could mean less eyestrain for them. It's nothing to do with the resolution.

But by all means, go ahead and get your 1'' 1080p screen. ;)

Aug 5, 2012
Can't follow that argument. Some people like to have a physical bigger screen to look at, it could mean less eyestrain for them. It's nothing to do with the resolution.

Ha ha, very good... Was lol'ing to this

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013

I'll wait till you've got your 40 inch low resolution mobile phone.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Now that is ***** ridiculous

----------

I sold my Galalaxy Note 1 for the Nexus 4 and although the Nexus 4 has a smaller screen it performs better because of the higher screen resolution.

Also, once you get larger than the Nexus 4 then you start to find it becomes unwieldy to handle and difficult to carry around except in a bag or jacket pocket.

So my advice is to stop looking at phablets and focus on full hd screens below 5 inches.

Not true.

5" or less is more like it.

And the note 2 thanks to its lightweight design is very easy to handle. Also it fits in pockets without a problem. In fact at work I put a note and a GS3 and an ipod touch with my keys in my pocket. With just the note and GS3 no bulge.

Now the lg intuition on the other hand...

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
And the note 2 thanks to its lightweight design is very easy to handle. Also it fits in pockets without a problem. In fact at work I put a note and a GS3 and an ipod touch with my keys in my pocket. With just the note and GS3 no bulge.

Now the lg intuition on the other hand...

When it comes to how pocket friendly a smartphone is, I think the biggest factor is how wide the device is. Depth wise most smartphones are thin enough to fit in most pockets comfortably. The height of the phone also shouldn't be an issue unless you are sporting smaller than average front pockets. But width is the biggest issue if I had to guess. You said the Note II produces no issues but the Intuition does. Here are the widths of 3 huge smartphones:

LG Intuition: 90.4mm (3.56")

Huawei Ascend Mate: 85.7mm (3.37")

Galaxy Note II: 80.5mm (3.17")

Of these 3, the Intuition is the shortest (5.5") and the Mate the tallest (6.5"). The Note falls in-between at 5.95".

Of these 3 smartphones, the Note II is the only one I've handled in person. I'm confident I could fit it in my pocket with no issues (unless I'm sporting a pant/short with smaller than average pockets). I'm not so sure about the Intuition and Mate.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

I'd be for it if it were a tablet. Hell, if the iPad Mini was that size I'd be all over it.

its ridiculous! id love to see someone hold it up to their face while on a call. bet it'd pretty much cover their head from the side! :D

I think at the Note 2 size and up, a bluetooth headset or earbuds would be more practical. I haven't gotten my BT headset yet, but the phone is just too warm to press against my face.

I'll wait till you've got your 40 inch low resolution mobile phone.

Sorry mate, high resolutions won't solve all problems. An 11.1" Air with 15" Retina MBP resolutions isn't very useful unless you just want a screen so crisp no one would care save for the owner bragging about it.

I'd like a higher resolution 5.5" Note 3, but I would dare using something as small as a 3.5" phone with a high resolution.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
I'd be for it if it were a tablet. Hell, if the iPad Mini was that size I'd be all over it.

I think at the Note 2 size and up, a bluetooth headset or earbuds would be more practical. I haven't gotten my BT headset yet, but the phone is just too warm to press against my face.

Sorry mate, high resolutions won't solve all problems. An 11.1" Air with 15" Retina MBP resolutions isn't very useful unless you just want a screen so crisp no one would care save for the owner bragging about it.

I'd like a higher resolution 5.5" Note 3, but I would dare using something as small as a 3.5" phone with a high resolution.

If the Note 2 had been 1080p then I would have upgraded my Note 1 to it instead of getting the Nexus 4.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
its ridiculous! id love to see someone hold it up to their face while on a call. bet it'd pretty much cover their head from the side! :D

Here's a Galaxy Note. Not sure what the big deal is..

IMG_4047.JPG

vlad-galaxy-note-phone-call-stock_1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar4995
its ridiculous! id love to see someone hold it up to their face while on a call. bet it'd pretty much cover their head from the side!

Here's a Galaxy Note. Not sure what the big deal is..

IMG_4047.JPG

vlad-galaxy-note-phone-call-stock_1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

A phone that spans the distance from ear to mouth!!!

Where do they come up with these crazy ideas? :p

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I've seen (and done) worse...

What were Nokia thinking?:D

One of my friends had the N-Gage, he used to get made fun of regularly for holding a "dinner plate" up to his head. :D He didn't care though, he loved it for the games. He's now one of a tiny group of people I know with a Windows Phone, he loves being different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.