Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
My iPad mini almost gave me a heart attack last night. We usually take our minis to dinner and the kids watch or play with them during dinner. Last night, we left quickly and I only had my mini in my purse. My son asked to use it so I obliged. When I got home. I looked for my iPad... It wasn't in the purse. I went to find my iPhone and looked for it and for the first time it was gone. All my other devices were there. I freaked out... Called the restaurant where we eat at least twice a week...they know us well... It wasn't there. My husband went back and looked too. He came back and while I got the kids ready for bed, he looked all over the house. He found it in or playroom. I guess I had put it in my purse and not realized it since I had a bunch of things to pack up at the table and one of my little critters must have taken it out of my purse when I got home. I'm feeling a little guilty that I felt so angry that someone had taken it and not turned it in... But when it didn't show up on find my iPhone... I assumed someone had turned it off.

Anyway... I'm thrilled it is found but am wondering why it didn't show up on my account. It was in a spot where it had plenty of reception? I had marked it to notify me when it was found and as soon as we turned it on it notified me.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Anyway... I'm thrilled it is found but am wondering why it didn't show up on my account. It was in a spot where it had plenty of reception. I had marked it to notify me when it was found and as soon as we turned it on it notified me.

By "turned it on" do you mean you woke it from sleep, or was it completely off? If it was completely off, of course it wouldn't show up in Find My iPhone.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
What's the point of this thread again?

Uhh... Did you read the whole thing? Or were you skimming...

----------

By "turned it on" do you mean you woke it from sleep, or was it completely off? If it was completely off, of course it wouldn't show up in Find My iPhone.

Sorry... It was just asleep.. Put to sleep with a Smart Cover. When we opened it is when it sent the message it was found.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Sorry... It was just asleep.. Put to sleep with a Smart Cover. When we opened it is when it sent the message it was found.
This deals with power management on iOS devices. They will remain connected to wifi networks as long as they are plugged in to a power source, but things get iffy when they're running on battery power. The wifi connection shuts off and presumably comes back on for updates at various times. The specifics are probably available somewhere online.

My guess is that it depends on the device and also the device's remaining battery power. I note that my iPhone will disconnect from the wifi network after a few minutes, reconnecting when I activate the screen. My iPads seem to always be connected, but I rarely allow the battery to reach a low level.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
This deals with power management on iOS devices. They will remain connected to wifi networks as long as they are plugged in to a power source, but things get iffy when they're running on battery power. The wifi connection shuts off and presumably comes back on for updates at various times. The specifics are probably available somewhere online.

My guess is that it depends on the device and also the device's remaining battery power. I note that my iPhone will disconnect from the wifi network after a few minutes, reconnecting when I activate the screen. My iPads seem to always be connected, but I rarely allow the battery to reach a low level.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed this before. It had about 40% battery. Usually when I look up my devices it always shows them when they were on in the house. Perhaps it was a temporary glitch. Sort of defeated its purpose in the time of need;).

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Interesting. I hadn't noticed this before. It had about 40% battery. Usually when I look up my devices it always shows them when they were on in the house. Perhaps it was a temporary glitch. Sort of defeated its purpose in the time of need;).

What type of ipad?

Does the restraunt have wifi?

How long was the ipad at home?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
What type of ipad?

Does the restraunt have wifi?

How long was the ipad at home?

iPad mini. The restaurant does have wifi but I didn't connect to it. The iPad was at home for about 1 hour before we found it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
iPad mini. The restaurant does have wifi but I didn't connect to it. The iPad was at home for about 1 hour before we found it.

There is/was the issue. Being off wifi for that time period would knock its tracking off. When u got home I'm guessing that the kids didn't remove it from your bag because it hadn't been woken to search for wifi.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I turned off at "kids with Minis at dinner" purely because of my opinions on this.

When the alternative is screaming fidgety kids disturbing neighboring diners I'm all for iPads at dinner. Not every child can exercise self-control for an entire meal out without a diversion (mine certainly couldn't, but they didn't have distracting toys when they were kids).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.