Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
One that's the normal, and one with a controller and 16 gb ssd with support of the app store.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
One that's the normal, and one with a controller and 16 gb ssd with support of the app store.

Okay why? Why not make all the AppleTV4's the same? You also realize that the current AppleTV's use Flash memory just like an SSD right?

Usually when one makes a declaration like this, they at least give a reason.....

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
They have 8GB already, which would be more than enough to support an App Store. I could see them doing 16GB in all of them though...the part would cost them mere pennies more these days.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
AppleTV 4 is already out sort of, if you count the shrunk, cost reduced, power reduced AppleTV 3 that launched back in March.

Multiple new AppleTV's is uneeded.

The current 2/3 AppleTV's already have 8GB SSD in them. They could release an app store for these as well. Which would be perfect for launching streaming content and use for Airplay gaming.

A new 'gaming' AppleTV would only need one model with a beefer SOC, and 16-32GB SSD.

So....
AppleTV 2/3 w/ 8GB SSD (current product) perfect for streaming content.
AppleTV (gaming) 4 with 16 or 32 GB (new product) streaming plus gaming content.

If that's what you're wanting. Only need one new model.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
You'd need different models due to the extra price of the controller and the extra ssd space.

I personally don't care about a gaming Apple tv, but Apple is missing a huge market here. 99 cent games would be a big threat to the current consoles.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'd wonder how long before we switch to 'download on demand' apps (i.e. local storage is just a cache, all your purchased apps are available via iCloud). If so, the need for large local storage would be greatly reduced.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
You'd need different models due to the extra price of the controller and the extra ssd space.

I personally don't care about a gaming Apple tv, but Apple is missing a huge market here. 99 cent games would be a big threat to the current consoles.

Nope. If controller is bluetooth based. Support can be a software upgrade already included even in older AppleTV 2.

Either way, solo new model can be the controller variant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Nope. If controller is bluetooth based. Support can be a software upgrade already included even in older AppleTV 2.

Either way, solo new model can be the controller variant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

And? Some games are over a gig, some are really large! Having higher priced models with larger ssds, like 16, 32, and 64, with a controller in the box, would be good.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
And? Some games are over a gig, some are really large! Having higher priced models with larger ssds, like 16, 32, and 64, with a controller in the box, would be good.

Yes. But that's one new model. Not two new.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
The last thing the Apple TV needs is a split user base

How would one model that's a continuation of the Apple Tv for number 4, and a model that's basically a game console, make a split user base? The game console wouldn't target someone who just wants a tv.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
And old coots like myself would still like an ATV that would play DVD/Blu-ray without a lot of hassle with ripping. I have a good size collection and it's not worth the trouble to rip all of them.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
How would one model that's a continuation of the Apple Tv for number 4, and a model that's basically a game console, make a split user base? The game console wouldn't target someone who just wants a tv.

Or just offer the appletv4 with 16gb of Storage and make the controller an add on. Why is that so bad? That's the Apple way anyway.... Then you wouldn't segment your customers and at any time someone can "upgrade" to the gaming system. Makes more sense to me. Besides game pads are coming from 3rd parties so why would apple make one?

Last edited:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
+1 for multiple memory choices and a App Store

They sell all other iOS Devices with multiple memory choices. You can also Sync via iTunes to all other iOS Devices (media + apps). The original Apple TV had a hard disk and you could sync your media to it like you do now with your iOS Devices. I think having the option of 32/64/128 GB options that worked like my other devices via iTunes with an App Store is the way Apple should proceed. You could choose what to sync to each Apple TV as you do now with your multiple iPads and iPhones. Some people do not have a computer running all the time so having the option of syncing with the Apple TV is a good option. Of course if they would allow the AirPort Express to act as a iTunes Server then maybe that would reduce the need to have so much local memory.

Regarding a Game Controller. I would see this as a "bundling" option. A little cheaper if you buy it bundled with your Apple TV.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

But does that 99 cent games really worth your time or serious effort to complete?

I love play games with epic and cinematic graphic and story line a la Uncharted, The Last of Us, GTA, or Tomb Raider.

Considering the typical price of fresh console games is $59.99 it might not be 60x better, but I'd rather pay more for a truly enjoyable games.

iOS games don't come close enough. More like Flash games of modern era. Spare-time-only and Play-and-forget kind of games

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
And old coots like myself would still like an ATV that would play DVD/Blu-ray without a lot of hassle with ripping. I have a good size collection and it's not worth the trouble to rip all of them.

So get a $30 player from wally world.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I'd wonder how long before we switch to 'download on demand' apps (i.e. local storage is just a cache, all your purchased apps are available via iCloud). If so, the need for large local storage would be greatly reduced.
This is along the lines of what I've been envisioning, but I had been thinking along the lines of your iPhone or iPad being your "hub" device where the apps would be stored. When you want to play a game on your ATV, it would push the app (or some part of it) to the ATV, which would then do the heavy lifting of running it (rather than just "mirroring" the display of your iPhone). The app could remain cached in the ATV's 8GB storage (or whatever size it currently is) so that if you went back to play it later in the day, it would start up quicker. But if you started using other ATV-capable apps/games, after some period of time it could start deleting old/unused apps that are cached to free up space as needed.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I'm perfectly happy with it as is. Only change I want is OS based, I want to be able to stream from my NAS without going through iTunes.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
No they don't but maybe have the old Apple TV 3 be like $50 after the new one comes out & not just get rid of it

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
It needs to be cheaper and have more channels. Amazon Video, Vudu, and all the other stuff Roku has.

Or at least let us play iPad games on it if they want 100 bucks. $100 bucks to be able to play iTunes movies on your tv is kind of a rip off, or listen to itunes music on your tv is a huge ripoff. Buy a HDMI to USB thing on ebay for 3 bucks and call it a day.

Everyone thinks Apple really cares about Apple TV but think it is a joke product that they threw out there and don't care about just like Itunes Match.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.