Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drgrafix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
New England
I had been using Little Snitch a few years ago and I liked the idea that it showed me all I wanted to know about what was trying to get out to the internet. I disabled it about a year ago... and recently was playing around, got it going again but apparently its now outdated and is throwing up popups for Google and everything. Is the latest version flaky LOL or is it acting erratic because its so old? Debating an upgrade.

Running OS X 10.6.8 and ready to jump forward to latest.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I had been using Little Snitch a few years ago and I liked the idea that it showed me all I wanted to know about what was trying to get out to the internet. I disabled it about a year ago... and recently was playing around, got it going again but apparently its now outdated and is throwing up popups for Google and everything. Is the latest version flaky LOL or is it acting erratic because its so old? Debating an upgrade.

Sounds like it was doing it's job. Google tries to track a lot with different domains (google-analytics.com, googleadsyndication.com, etc.) that always block. I actually block those in DNS with *.doubleclick.net, etc.
I don't have it so I can't answer your question on Mountain Lion unfortunately.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It works as advertised, for me, and I'm running Mountain Lion. I do think it was the fact that you had it disabled for so long, and now it's frantically trying to figure out what you want blocked or not.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
More details? Screenshots?

Google is used by a hell of a lot of apps.

I have LS 2.4 installed on Leopard and it is literally *perfect*.

"TCP Block" does a similar job, albeit with less control, and is free. Works on Leopard and newer.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Using it since Tiger.
Now at MLion

Its rule set has learned what I want to know about.

Recommended

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009

Don't use version 3.x if you connect to a bunch of peers, as it currently has a bug in it that gobbles up memory. My Little Snitch Network Monitor is currently using 1.7 GB of my 8 GB.

They posted this on their forums a few weeks ago:

We are currently hard working on improving the memory and CPU
consumption of the Little Snitch Network Monitor.

The reason for eating up so much memory currently is, that
all connections are monitor and stored even if those connections
have occurred hours ago. Caused by a bug.

By using services such as torrent, connecting to hundreds of
different servers, the number of connection increases,
and so does the memory consumption.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but as already mentioned, we
are working hard to get the best performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.