Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:20 PM   #26
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbearus10 View Post
My mistake. I should have done more research. I found these:

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-...es-2011-8?op=1

Looks like these drives cost as much as a Nexus 7
No problem. Yeah, they aren't cheap, but my guess is that someone doesn't want to buy a second tablet just to add more storage.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:42 PM   #27
bigjim83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bombay View Post
If you can afford a galaxy S3 and iPad Mini you can afford a tethering plan.
Thanks for not being helpful at all. Yes I can afford to pay tethering but I would rather not pay another 20 bucks a month into my already overpriced cell phone plan. These carriers molest us enough as it is.
bigjim83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:04 PM   #28
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
...Requires an internet connection.
Well, yes, but if the OP is able to do a little planning ahead, they can sync the required files and download them to the device while still connected to WiFi, and then be able to access them in places where there isn't any connection. They'll sync up again the next time the devices are able to connect.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:49 AM   #29
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Respectfully, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have a Nexus 7 and it's excellent. It's every bit as well finished as my iPad mini.

I know people love to bash Android and Google but the fact is, it's a tactic that's worn out.

Nice Try...
He does have a S3 so it would seem that he is t bashing Android or Google but just giving his opinion. Which happens to differ from yours. So yes, I'd say he does know what he's talking about. Respectfully.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:28 AM   #30
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Respectfully, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have a Nexus 7 and it's excellent. It's every bit as well finished as my iPad mini.

I know people love to bash Android and Google but the fact is, it's a tactic that's worn out.

Nice Try...
Is is true that Nexus 7 doesn't have camera?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim83 View Post
I work in some places that don't have wifi and I have to use my phone to download files for work whether it be spreadsheets or documents. My question is this my main phone is a galaxy S3 and that being said is there any way to transfer files from my phone to mini without wifi. Tethering isn't really an option either I don't want to make my cell plan anymore expensive then it already is.
isn't it itself a contradictory question? You try to connect two mobile wi-fi devices without actually using wi-fi or at least 3G/LTE. You also don't want to use tethering from S3 which is a natural option in this case. For occasional files, tethering should be just fine within your plan. If you constantly download LARGE files then invest in LTE mini and buy a plan for it, because thats what you need if you don't want use S3 as hotspot.

Finally, there are apps that make your iphone or ipad to work as USB flash, on which you can store whatever you want or move files from a desktop or notebook to iPhone/iPad. I had few such apps, they are mostly free.

For photos or movies, as I remember, you can just use iPad camera connector to connect USB flash (on which you move your file from S3 or whatever) and import the file by iPad app. Probably there are similar apps for docs as well. iPad camera connector I have has for USB flash, memory sticks, SD or CF.

U can use desktop iTUnes to transfer files too.

Stupid question anyway.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:25 AM   #31
korbearus10
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneJack View Post
Is is true that Nexus 7 doesn't have camera?
It has a front facing camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneJack View Post

isn't it itself a contradictory question? You try to connect two mobile wi-fi devices without actually using wi-fi or at least 3G/LTE.

Stupid question anyway.
It isn't contradictory and it isn't a stupid question. He is downloading files out in the field with his S3 and doesn't have access to it from a desktop. If he did have access to a desktop, I'm sure he wouldn't have posted this question.

Last edited by korbearus10; Jan 8, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
korbearus10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:36 AM   #32
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim83 View Post
I work in some places that don't have wifi and I have to use my phone to download files for work whether it be spreadsheets or documents. My question is this my main phone is a galaxy S3 and that being said is there any way to transfer files from my phone to mini without wifi. Tethering isn't really an option either I don't want to make my cell plan anymore expensive then it already is.
As far as I know, in the UK anyway, unless you buy the phone from the carrier they can't tell if data use is tethered or not. I use tethering on a non tethering contract.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:36 AM   #33
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

Quote:

It isn't contradictory and it isn't a stupid question. He is downloading files out in the field with his S3 and doesn't have access to it from a desktop. If he did have access to a desktop, I'm sure he wouldn't have posted this question.
then tether from s3
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:32 PM   #34
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

Should of got a transformer infinity breh bet you miss an actual micro SD slot huh . Local storage isn't dead just yet . If you buy a keyboard it also includes a full size USB and SD card. It also has a battery and adds 5 extra hours to the tablet run time ....
isephmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:35 PM   #35
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
He does have a S3 so it would seem that he is t bashing Android or Google but just giving his opinion. Which happens to differ from yours. So yes, I'd say he does know what he's talking about. Respectfully.
Another response from someone who likes to assume...

I might remind you that an S 3 is a smartphone, a Nexus 7 is a tablet. Ones made by Samsung, the other by ASUS.

Unless a person has purchased and used a Nexus 7, they are simply making up a story.

I'd say it's you... that is guessing as well.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:23 PM   #36
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

What you can do is create a tether between your phone and tablet, Bluetooth or wifi works fine, but not use actual Internet traffic, but rather have a hosting app on the phone such as FTP or http, and a client app on the tablet and sync data way. Tethering is more then just sharing for Internet traffic, it creates a LAN or PAN between devices (depending if you use wifi or BT). That way you can pull data between your phone and tablet on the cheap.

Otherwise it's cloud syncing apps like Dropbox which use Internet traffic. You could also get a host style app on the tablet like and upload to the tablet using wifi and use your phones web browser to do the uploading.
Fruit Cake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:40 PM   #37
bigjim83
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Exactly thank you!

----------

Quote:
Another response from someone who likes to assume...

I might remind you that an S 3 is a smartphone, a Nexus 7 is a tablet. Ones made by Samsung, the other by ASUS.

Unless a person has purchased and used a Nexus 7, they are simply making up a story.

I'd say it's you... that is guessing as well.
I've purchased and returned 5 nexus 7 devices with screen lift issues. Head over to xda forums and you will see its a noted issue.

I wanted a nexus 7 as soon as I first heard about it but Asus left a bad taste in my mouth with poor quality control.
bigjim83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad