Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weyns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, I created an account on this forum specifically for this, since I find my problem pretty frustrating. I recently started grooming my newly bought mac with some tools like monolingual and onyx. I had set it up in a way (both in mac OS and in monolingual) so I could switch easily between Belgian input, U.S. and Japanese (Kotoeri). However, when I did a seemingly basic maintenance function with Onyx, my Japanese input function disappeared, leaving me unable to type in Japanese characters. Of course, I have already roamed the internet, looking for a solution, but none have been working until now. In fact, the only one I've seen involved using the install disc, but since I'm using a retina, I don't have a disc bay or installation disc whatsoever. I can't believe there's not an option of simply re-downloading the input method, also, I can't even find it back in the back-ups I made some hours before (or maybe I'm looking in the wrong folder).

I would definitely appreciate anyone's help.
Cheers,
David

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Go to system preferences -> Language & Text

What do you see or not see listed in Language?

Weyns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Oddly, I still have Japanese listed under my languages. However, it's not listed under input sources anymore, this is the one I actually need.

Weyns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Still nobody that can help me out? I've been looking all over the web for this but haven't found a single answer. I would assume it would be as easy as looking for the language input files on another mac but I can't even find them anywhere.

Weyns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Alright, for those experiencing the same problems: I now just downloaded google's Japanese IME application. After installment it also appears in your input method list, and quick switching using ctr-space is possible. It's a little bit different but apart from that it works fine. いいですね
If anyone else finds a way to retrieve the actual Apple input method, let me know!

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Alright, for those experiencing the same problems: I now just downloaded google's Japanese IME application. After installment it also appears in your input method list, and quick switching using ctr-space is possible. It's a little bit different but apart from that it works fine. いいですね
If anyone else finds a way to retrieve the actual Apple input method, let me know!

You could always reinstall OS X over your current system (you won't lose any data, but back up just to be safe). This will replace whatever it was you deleted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.