macrumors 601

What are we looking at edry?
WilliamG is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:14 AM   #52
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminouslight View Post
That sucks mate. Though my hard drive in my brand new 27" BTO imac just pooped out on me. It somehow literally died on me, it's the 1 terabyte fusion drive. I took it to the apple store and while the flash drive was fine the hard drive was undetectable and I haven't even had this machine for two weeks. I am so disappointed and angry right now, after waiting three weeks for this computer and I need a replacement.

The Apple Store give me a case number and now I have to call 1-800-myapple since i purchased it online. I am so tempted to just say screw it to Apple and get a refund and build my own PC.

So I feel your pain.
The 1 TB harddrive that is no longer working, is it the Seagate model or is it the Western Digital one? Thanks!
beeinformed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:19 AM   #53
luminouslight
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeinformed View Post
The 1 TB harddrive that is no longer working, is it the Seagate model or is it the Western Digital one? Thanks!
It is the sea gate one I believe ... May I ask why?
luminouslight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:29 AM   #54
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminouslight View Post
It is the sea gate one I believe ... May I ask why?
The reason I was asking about which brand it is, was because it made me think of the recall of specific Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems that were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

I hope you get your replacement soon and you get alot of pleasure and enjoyment out of it!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:59 AM   #55
Larry-K
macrumors 6502a

That's the worst thing you've ever had to deal with? Wait till you have an aneurysm, you have something to look forward to.
Larry-K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:00 AM   #56
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Well edry and others, my misery starts tomorrow when I drop my nice new iMac into the Apple Store for them to rip it apart to replace my logic board. I'm just tired of the relentless buzzing from my computer when the GPU is under load. It's getting ridiculous, and seeing as nobody else (except one person) has noticed this happening, I'm guessing it's not normal. It's so loud I can hear it from across the room, and I've decided enough is enough. Shame, really, since in all other aspects I've had no issues with this computer... *sigh*

Oh well.... round 1 repair coming up. Wish me luck...
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:08 AM   #57
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by edry.hilario View Post
I didn't return it because I just wanted to. Ok I want to move on with this crap. ALL the iMacs I've had been having major issues ok. I'm not looking for anything it's just the way it's been. Their quality control Has gone down since they are trying to get as many machines out as they can this crappiest thing Ive had to deal with and I don't want to go through it. It's illogical to me why people are thinking that I just want to go through this for the sake of it. I work hard to buy this REALLY HARD I'm not gonna let it slide

----------

A forth one ?? What are the chances that one will be good ? 1 in 100? At least is seems that way
Sorry op, I don't believe this.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:35 AM   #58
Mr Morrison
macrumors newbie

This was worth the 20 minutes I've wasted reading these posts!

Warm screens and poverty.

Just think of all those referb's...
Mr Morrison is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:50 AM   #59
luminouslight
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeinformed View Post
The reason I was asking about which brand it is, was because it made me think of the recall of specific Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems that were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

I hope you get your replacement soon and you get alot of pleasure and enjoyment out of it!
Ahh gotcha. It seems like Seagate makes a lot of faulty drives then?

And thank you, I am disappointed it failed on me but at least I will get a brand new replacement. Just to wait another 3-4 weeks again
luminouslight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:24 AM   #60
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Well edry and others, my misery starts tomorrow when I drop my nice new iMac into the Apple Store for them to rip it apart to replace my logic board.

Oh well.... round 1 repair coming up. Wish me luck...
Ever heard of the Law of Attraction? Your first line said your misery starts tomorrow. With a positive attitude you may attract yourself to either a perfectly repaired iMac or at best a complete replacement of a new one. It's just a shame these threads seem to snowball into misery rather than hope.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:36 AM   #61
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Ever heard of the Law of Attraction? Your first line said your misery starts tomorrow. With a positive attitude you may attract yourself to either a perfectly repaired iMac or at best a complete replacement of a new one. It's just a shame these threads seem to snowball into misery rather than hope.
If you had been there for my my phone calls with Apple, you would be as downhearted as I am.

Of course I'm hopeful. In... some ways.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:09 PM   #62
WilliamG
macrumors 601

At the Apple Store now. Was just informed they've never repaired the new iMac. Awesome!
WilliamG is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:09 PM   #63
edry.hilario
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
At the Apple Store now. Was just informed they've never repaired the new iMac. Awesome!
Same thing that happened to me. Then the next day I received a call saying they broke my screen. Hopefully you don't have to go through this and they don't break your machine. Best of luck buddy
edry.hilario is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:15 PM   #64
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
When I exchanged mine last weekend, I had to help the genius unbox it. He had never unboxed one before.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:46 PM   #65
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
the unluckiest person ever has to be Mr Bean btw
Actually, I think the unluckiest people are the MacRumors forum moderators who have to read all these post (I know I could never do it) .
Plutonius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:07 PM   #66
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

I doubt they read all the posts (in fact I'm almost sure of it). That's why there's a "report" button.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:44 PM   #67
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by edry.hilario View Post
Same thing that happened to me. Then the next day I received a call saying they broke my screen. Hopefully you don't have to go through this and they don't break your machine. Best of luck buddy
Got back a bit ago. Had a bit of luck. I reproduced the crazy buzzing sound for the Genius at the store. That was the easy part. But then the Genius said they he no idea when the logic board would be available for repairing my system, but that I could take my system home with me and come back when it was in stock! I said WTF!!! I wiped everything, not to pack it all up and drive half an hour to be told to come back at SOME point. I even asked them yesterday on the phone if they had the logic boards and they said they did! Gah! That, and that they had never repaired a new 27" did not sit well with me, so I told them how displeased I was with the service. (I'd also had a bad experience on the phone with AppleCare the night before, which was documented - and aided my case).

The Genius went away and came back with the manager. The manager apologized for essentially wasting my time. He said he had a new system in stock that had just come in, but it was slightly different to mine.

The one in the store:

3.4Ghz i7, 8GB, 1TB Fusion, Geforce 680MX 2GB

Problem is mine was just the 1TB, no fusion.

That was a $250 upgrade, of course...

The manager then asked me if I would mind splitting the difference between my unit and the fusion-equipped unit. I said OK.

Somehow, the difference in price came out to be $91.99 to go from the non-fusion machine to the fusion machine (I know, wtf?). I wasn't going to look a gift-horse in the mouth, and said thank you.

Even better, he let me keep my Magic Trackpad, since the default Apple high-end config came with the Magic mouse.

So, $91.99 later I have a new fusion-equipped iMac, and I got a free Magic Mouse.

Even better, there's no buzzing on this new system when the GPU is under load. So, so far... so... good (not wanting to get ahead of myself, but this system really is doing better so far).

OS X is still installed on my Thunderbolt 256GB Samsung drive, but I split the fusion disk and installed Windows 7 on the SSD part. So now both Windows and OS X are on SSDs. WIN!

Must... keep.... positive!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:59 PM   #68
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Quote:
Got back a bit ago. Had a bit of luck. I reproduced the crazy buzzing sound for the Genius at the store. That was the easy part. But then the Genius said they he no idea when the logic board would be available for repairing my system, but that I could take my system home with me and come back when it was in stock! I said WTF!!! I wiped everything, not to pack it all up and drive half an hour to be told to come back at SOME point. I even asked them yesterday on the phone if they had the logic boards and they said they did! Gah! That, and that they had never repaired a new 27" did not sit well with me, so I told them how displeased I was with the service. (I'd also had a bad experience on the phone with AppleCare the night before, which was documented - and aided my case).

The Genius went away and came back with the manager. The manager apologized for essentially wasting my time. He said he had a new system in stock that had just come in, but it was slightly different to mine.

The one in the store:

The manager then asked me if I would mind splitting the difference between my unit and the fusion-equipped unit. I said OK.

Somehow, the difference in price came out to be $91.99 to go from the non-fusion machine to the fusion machine (I know, wtf?). I wasn't going to look a gift-horse in the mouth, and said thank you.

Even better, he let me keep my Magic Trackpad, since the default Apple high-end config came with the Magic mouse.

So, $91.99 later I have a new fusion-equipped iMac, and I got a free Magic Mouse.

Even better, there's no buzzing on this new system when the GPU is under load. So, so far... so... good (not wanting to get ahead of myself, but this system really is doing better so far).

OS X is still installed on my Thunderbolt 256GB Samsung drive, but I split the fusion disk and installed Windows 7 on the SSD part. So now both Windows and OS X are on SSDs. WIN!

Not to say I told ya so......BUT....I'm glad I did because look what you got out of a visit to the Apple store that you though would be a "misery visit". I'm happy for you, that's fantastic news and you got a great upgrade for very cheap.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:15 PM   #69
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:

The one in the store:

Great news! As Shakespeare wrote "All's Well That Ends Well" (I hope that's the correct term for the ending of your story, if it isn't disregard it!)

Last edited by beeinformed; Feb 1, 2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:53 PM   #70
WilliamG
macrumors 601

So far that's an accurate description. Even got Apple to update the AppleCare agreement so it reflects Feb 1st as my purchase date. Yay!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:10 AM   #71
edry.hilario
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So far that's an accurate description. Even got Apple to update the AppleCare agreement so it reflects Feb 1st as my purchase date. Yay!
im glad you were able to sort all your things through. I hope the you love the machine and we can finally move on from these faultiness, so far this new machine has been better like i said very very little yellow toward the bottom but im not going to get a replacement this is just perfect ill forget about it is only noticeable if you really look for it like doing test or something. im so happy i can finally move on.
edry.hilario is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:16 AM   #72
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Actually, I think the unluckiest people are the MacRumors forum moderators who have to read all these post (I know I could never do it) .
lol, i can see what you mean but I stand by Mr Bean especially the swimming pool episode
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac