Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m1ddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
All,

Last night I finally got around to testing my setup. I have an ATV3 hooked up to the TV via HDMI. ATV is using wifi. I have my PC running itunes, with it's iTunes library sitting on NAS, connected via ethernet. I have home sharing turned on on all devices.

On the ATV3, I can see my computer and am able to stream content from Itunes/NAS straight to it, no problems. The problem arises when I try to use the iPad as a remote. Firstly, it seems to struggle to see my iTunes library running on the PC. I had to restart it a couple of times before my content appeared in Videos/Music on the ipad. This caused the same problem when trying to use it to tell the ATV to stream content from itunes. Sometimes it just did nothing. I presume this was due to the fact that the ipad had lost connection to itunes again, although it could still see the ATV in the remote app. On the 1 occasion I had all 3 devices talking to each other, I told the ATV to play a movie, using the remote app. I could hear the audio playing on the TV but the video didn't appear. I just got the name of the movie along the bottom of the screen, next to the list of content?? Confused and needing some help!!

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
I initially had a few problems with my ATV stopping in the middle of a movie while using wifi.

I bit the bullet and ran a cat-5 cable from the router to the ATV and have not had a problem since.

I like the Apple Remote app on the iPad and iPhone, though when I choose a movie on the iPad and press 'play' it defaults to 'computer' (the movie begins playing on my Mac Mini) so I have to select 'Apple TV' from the AirPlay icon in the upper right of the iPad screen to have it play on my TV. Everytime.

Once, reciently, I tried to play a movie from the iPad, and it began playing - though there was no sound --- just the opposite of your issue. I used the Apple TV remote - the metal one that came with the ATV - and chose the same movie using the ATV interface on the TV screen - then the movie played just fine.

I have not installed the latest software update to my ATV.

I hope some part of this may help you...

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
I like the Apple Remote app on the iPad and iPhone, though when I choose a movie on the iPad and press 'play' it defaults to 'computer' (the movie begins playing on my Mac Mini) so I have to select 'Apple TV' from the AirPlay icon in the upper right of the iPad screen to have it play on my TV. Everytime.

That is the intended purpose from Apple. You can control either you iTunes on your computer OR your ATV. Yes if you are browsing your iTunes content from your iPad using the remote app you can airplay it to the ATV, but you can also control your ATV from the remote app and browse your content on your ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.