Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I'm looking to order a number of cameras for television work related to live entertainment, and want opinions on what are good future proof cameras to get for this type of work. I like the XF305 but they are a little outdated and overpriced for today. I'd like 4K to future proof the equipment, basically I wish Canon updated their XF300 line up but since they haven't yet I need to know what are the best alternatives. Thanks

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I'm looking to order a number of cameras for television work related to live entertainment, and want opinions on what are good future proof cameras to get for this type of work. I like the XF305 but they are a little outdated and overpriced for today. I'd like 4K to future proof the equipment, basically I wish Canon updated their XF300 line up but since they haven't yet I need to know what are the best alternatives. Thanks

I too am interested in this sector of the market... I can't find a valid alternative.

It's a shame the C100 only has a 24MBPS internal codec.

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Currently the only 'camcorder' that is 4K to my knowledge is the JVC HMQ10 Other than that, your looking at large sensor high end cameras.

My guess is first half of next year before 4k becomes completely mainstream in a traditional handheld camcorder format.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I too am interested in this sector of the market... I can't find a valid alternative.

It's a shame the C100 only has a 24MBPS internal codec.

I got to use a C100 this weekend at festival I was filming, I didn't get to see how the footage looked on the computer but the camera itself was very nice, but the 60i and 24Mbps codec made me not want it either.

Currently the only 'camcorder' that is 4K to my knowledge is the JVC HMQ10 Other than that, your looking at large sensor high end cameras.

My guess is first half of next year before 4k becomes completely mainstream in a traditional handheld camcorder format.

Realistically I am looking at large sensor cams, which would you recommend? I know there are a lot of them out there and I like what I've seen but need some feedback from people who have experience with particular models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.