Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:33 PM   #51
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
For instance when it comes to this family's system of values it's a talking supernatural being without a physical head or body that guided the family to a near watery grave.
The beauty of the world is that not everyone operates in extremes.
gsugolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:39 PM   #52
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Not a very Christian attitude.
I believe it was Mahatma Gandi who noticed most Christians weren't very Christ like.

Where is that quote ....

Ah, here it is ...

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Mahatma Gandhi

While the quote is disputed, the sentiment is spot on. I've never read where Jesus shunned gays or otherwise tried to marginalize them. Wonder why modern Christians find this behavior acceptable, let alone exemplary?
noisycats is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:43 PM   #53
hulugu
macrumors 68000

I'm fascinated that the Swiss Family Robinson decided to head to Kiribati to escape the United States. It reminds me of "Mosquito Coast" by Paul Theroux in some ways.

Dull-headed though they sound (tax money paying for abortions and state-controlled church), it's actually a pretty interesting that they decided to decamp and sail to the islands. Though, I wonder what their plan was in terms of immigration and setting up their lives once there.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:45 PM   #54
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Flyfishing View Post
Quick question for the gallery here:

Is there anything this family could have done in the name of their religious beliefs that would have allowed them your respect or at least the avoidance of your mocking?

Didn't think so, so tell me again why they or anyone else who is religious should care what you think or say?
Ha. At least you gave us a chance, right?

I have no qualms with someone following their faith or belief provided they don't (1) oppress others in the process and (2) subject children to excessive danger or risk.

It would be a bonus if their actions were coherent and at least remotely logical.
noisycats is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:48 PM   #55
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats
I've never read where Jesus shunned gays or otherwise tried to marginalize them. Wonder why modern Christians find this behavior acceptable, let alone exemplary?
That is very true. However, that did not stop Jesus from speaking out against things that were wrong.

In John 8:1-11, a woman caught in adultery is brought before Jesus by the Pharisees. They want Jesus to condemn her. But he doesn't. Instead, he challenges the Pharisees, "Let any one of you who is without sin throw the first stone." But they were unable to meet Jesus' challenge. Jesus tells the woman, "Then neither do I condemn you. Go now and leave your life of sin."

In Matthew 21:10-13, Jesus turns over the tables of the money changers in the Temple courtyard.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:09 PM   #56
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
I'm fascinated that the Swiss Family Robinson decided to head to Kiribati to escape the United States. It reminds me of "Mosquito Coast" by Paul Theroux in some ways.

Dull-headed though they sound (tax money paying for abortions and state-controlled church), it's actually a pretty interesting that they decided to decamp and sail to the islands. Though, I wonder what their plan was in terms of immigration and setting up their lives once there.
indeed, that these people abandoned their current existence and attempted something like this is far more interesting than their particular religious beliefs
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:22 PM   #57
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Is there anything this family could have done in the name of their religious beliefs that would have allowed them your respect or at least the avoidance of your mocking?

Didn't think so, so tell me again why they or anyone else who is religious should care what you think or say?
They could have travelled to their destination SAFELY. Also they could have picked a country that isn't sinking into the ocean.

Regardless of religious beliefs, these people are stupendously stupid and have cost the American tax payer a lot of money.

If your religious beliefs make you come within a hair's breadth of being a Darwin Award winner - you're doing it wrong.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:54 PM   #58
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
That is very true. However, that did not stop Jesus from speaking out against things that were wrong.

In John 8:1-11, a woman caught in adultery is brought before Jesus by the Pharisees. They want Jesus to condemn her. But he doesn't. Instead, he challenges the Pharisees, "Let any one of you who is without sin throw the first stone." But they were unable to meet Jesus' challenge. Jesus tells the woman, "Then neither do I condemn you. Go now and leave your life of sin."

In Matthew 21:10-13, Jesus turns over the tables of the money changers in the Temple courtyard.
But what do either of those have to do with homosexuals? Which is the question you were supposed to be answering. So, let me repost the question you were asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats
I've never read where Jesus shunned gays or otherwise tried to marginalize them. Wonder why modern Christians find this behavior acceptable, let alone exemplary?
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:41 PM   #59
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugolfer View Post
So, just to confirm, are you mocking that these people decided to actually attempt to do something about their beliefs rather than just bitch about it?
I think they should be charged with child endangerment... They are a threat to the safety/well-being and lives of their children and should be removed from their custody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieCanada View Post
They could have travelled to their destination SAFELY. Also they could have picked a country that isn't sinking into the ocean.

Regardless of religious beliefs, these people are stupendously stupid and have cost the American tax payer a lot of money.

If your religious beliefs make you come within a hair's breadth of being a Darwin Award winner - you're doing it wrong.
Not surprised...

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:45 PM   #60
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Does this really surprise you? This forum is very anti-religious.
Imagine if all of the "anti-religious" started passing laws taking away the rights of those who believed? How annoying would THAT be?

And maybe this forum isn't as much anti-religious as they are anti-everyone who hides behind a book or a "god" to justify hatred and discrimination?
Moyank24 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:30 PM   #61
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
The beauty of the world is that not everyone operates in extremes.
I'd consider risking your young children's lives by taking a boat to a small island on a supernatural being's supposed guidance to escape taxes, homosexuality, abortions, and covertly government controlled churches pretty extreme. I guess the definition of extreme is subjective.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:10 PM   #62
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Does anyone have any actual evidence that this family is a bunch of "hate mongering bigots"?
Quote:
As Christians they don't believe in "abortion, homosexuality,
Straight from the article.

Quote:
It must be difficult going through life with so much hate inside you. Contrary to what you might believe, there is much more to a system of values (regardless of the lean) than what the talking heads tell you to believe.
Lol what? I'm filled of hate? I'm not the one trying to deny others civil rights and the choice to make their own decisions based on some twisted religious morality. I don't care what people believe and don't judge or hate them at all until they try to force those beliefs on others and attempt to deny them equal rights through legislation.

It's not about "talking heads" either, I don't watch any of that crap. I've seen plenty of it first hand. There's no excuse for attempting to deny someone the same rights because they're gay, and there's no excuse for trying to pass laws to control a woman's personal medical decision based on what some religious book says.

Quote:
You are telling someone else they should "love thy neighbor." That's rich, given your usual stream of invective at things you don't like.
Yeah, because trash talking about sports and attempting to deny civil rights are even remotely similar. Nice try, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
And maybe this forum isn't as much anti-religious as they are anti-everyone who hides behind a book or a "god" to justify hatred and discrimination?
This x1000. Funny how some try to excuse it and blame others for hating religion instead.
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:37 AM   #63
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
I'd consider risking your young children's lives by taking a boat to a small island on a supernatural being's supposed guidance to escape taxes, homosexuality, abortions, and covertly government controlled churches pretty extreme. I guess the definition of extreme is subjective.
"Not everyone" means that this family is not representative. Stop trying to attack other views for just about 10 seconds and actually read the posts.
gsugolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:56 AM   #64
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
"Not everyone" means that this family is not representative. Stop trying to attack other views for just about 10 seconds and actually read the posts.
My posts you have quoted quite clearly reference the family in question. I suggest you heed your own advice and read before posting ad hoc comments. I was quite clearly not referring to "everyone".

I can happily though. It's people like these that show up religion for what it is. Unwavering and unfounded belief in the supernatural. It's irrational and ridiculous. And can be dangerously irresponsible. There is no defending such behaviour in 2013. A supernatural being is not guiding their lives whilst allowing others to starve to death.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:05 AM   #65
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What about homosexual males, who are the highest risk group for HIV infections? Are they stupid for doing what they do and putting themselves at risk? After all, one could certainly argue that is irresponsible behavior.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/su...nce/incidence/

DISCLAIMER: I don't give two ***** about who marries who or what homosexuals do, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of hate towards religious people.
I've read the thread three or four times, I just can't really find the trigger that caused you to contribute this bizarre comparison. Ok, if you think that Christian extremist parents that brainwash their kids and risk their lives based on their beliefs are to be compared to Gay barebackers, you might have a point. Someone always gets ****ed in the process...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:32 PM   #66
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I mock them, not because they are religious but because they endangered their lives and the lives of their children FOR NOTHING. Take a transport boat or a plane next time...

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues